Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Oh hey, this comic got a thread and I totally missed it. Cool.

I actually quite enjoy this comic- I can totally see why some of y'all are getting skeeved off by it, but for whatever reason its flaws don't bother me. I read too much bad fantasy as a child to be put off by lots of exposition- probably for the same reason, I enjoy all the tidbits of worldbuilding throughout the comic. I don't read the wiki or the formspring or whatever, and I don't feel I'm missing out at all. The story is coherent enough in the comic that I'm able to follow what's going on, and as a bonus I don't have to hear about the author's licking fetish or whatever. (Thanks not at all for sharing that little bit of info, goons :argh:)

As for the depravity, I honestly don't get why some of ya are surprised at this point. I mean, if you'd just skipped from Chapter One to the recent pages it'd be understandable, but the comic's been going into very dark places since Chapter Two- unless you missed the whole "pedophile and his gang removing the organs of children to smuggle poo poo in their bodies". I like the contrast between the relatively cheery artstyle and palette and the story- I feel like this is one of the few occasions where that actually works (which surprises me- I find poo poo like Happy Tree Friends or whatever to be repulsive).

As for Murkoph, I do agree that he's a bit grating (definitely has that "author's favorite character" vibe), but I'm surprised anyone thought he'd replace Duane or something. I don't admittedly know too much about the author outside the comic, but so far she hasn't seemed the type to place a monster like Murkoph in a role where we're expected to root for him. A lot of Unsounded's characters are quite gray, but none of the protagonists even approach Murkoph's apparent depravity.

I'm quite happy that the latest comic has everyone's favorite glowing green guy reappearing, though. I don't think there's many other ways to describe the last couple pages than :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Given the track record of children in this comic, I think it's safe to say horrible things will happen.

But in the mean time, dang, Duane does not look anything like I expected him to. I thought he was gonna be the dude in the flashback from chapter one. I kinda like his design though, he looks dorky because he is a dork. :3:

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

How much more mustache-twirlingly evil can Alderode get? Is the next page just going to be a bunch of Aldish people eating puppies?

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

I like Uncle Lemuel, seems like a swell guy.

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

That is the brightest blush I have ever seen outside of an anime.

Alive-Duane continues to cement his absolute dork status.

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

I do love Duane's expression before he punches the dude out. It's just "welp, that's enough of that".

A pity his promotion's doomed now.

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Uncle Lemon's gonna be a boss fight, I think. Perhaps Duane and Sette will encounter him in the present, given that Alderode's attempting to invade Cresce.

Also, is Lemuel Duane's older or younger brother? I can't seem to recall if it's been mentioned one way or another.

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Aww, father daughter bonding. It would be a shame if something were to happen to them in the next few pages!

This slow build up to what we all know is going to occur is killing me. :smith:

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

You know, Duane wasn't exactly my favorite character before this chapter, but this building up of his backstory has served to make me appreciate his character more- at least enough to make me feel bad for him in his death scene. :( All that really remains to be seen now is if the child mortality count for this comic is about to go up another notch.

I do think the idea of glamoured (they gotta be glamoured right?) government thugs running around killing dissidents and driving up Aldish nationalism is pretty creepy and interesting.

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Moddington posted:

What concerns me is the arrows. If you look closer they've got some weird little blue semi-ovals on the shaft near the tip. Are there any pymaric gadgets they could be, or some other kind of trick?

Looks like something of that nature is going on, if the latest page is any indication.

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

The author's note for this page is "Happy Fathers' Day". :stonk:

I am starting to become a little afraid of Ashley Cope.

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Holy poo poo god drat what the gently caress this is my heart is bleeding

I was trying to parse out a response to this update, but this is pretty much a perfect encapsulation of my feelings.

Though I got an unwanted chuckle out of "best wife in centuries."

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Coach Sport posted:

Also I could have sworn zombie-duane had both eyes intact, but I guess its not unreasonable that they'd fix his eyes during the zombification process. A blind zombie would be pretty useless after all.

His zombie eyes are glass, apparently.

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Oh boy, look who's back! Sette and... oh. Great.

I guess this confirms it as a false flag operation, at least, because the timing is far too convenient.

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Murkoph what are you doing in that first panel

and why do you have arm wraps but no pants

It seems some of the regular readers don't like him either, judging by some of the comments. I do hope he doesn't ruin this comic, it's been a really interesting story up to now.

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

I suppose the worry over Murkoph is a bit unfounded- I do have faith in Ashley's ability to tell a story, and usually I'm an advocate of separating the character of an author from their work- so if all the Murkoph stuff she writes and draws is in her eyes just a cathartic thing, well I can understand that.

I guess what skeeved me out so much about him was just the nature of the non-comic stuff I've seen of him. A comic of Murkoph cutting off his head so he can suck his own dick, a chibi-style drawing of a gleeful Murkoph wearing a woman's severed breasts; those sort of things really kind of sicken me, and while I know Unsounded doesn't shy away from depicting horrible things, Murkoph's out-of-comic appearances take it to a whole other level. It's not my story and it's not my call, I just really didn't want to see that sort of thing start happening in this comic, because I feel it would take away from my enjoyment of the narrative. But what's been said makes sense, and I guess I'll just trust that Ashley Cope understands that most people don't find emotional release in watching Murkoph do repulsive things.

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Looking back on my posts earlier in this thread, I didn't have a very dire opinion of Murkoph when he first appeared. I think that what happened is that I had no exposure to Murkoph outside the comic, and so didn't have any material to base an opinion on besides the little that appeared in Unsounded. It was only once I saw some of the extracurricular stuff he gets up to that I got worried. As i said, said stuff was really disturbing to me, and I began to worry that he was going to do the same poo poo in the story itself.

As I looked more into what's been posted here about Ashley's plans for him my fears were quelled a bit. I don't feel my initial fears are entirely unjustified, but I'll admit I got a bit overblown in my worries.

bigbigtruck posted:

Yes, this, and I do wonder if said hand-wringing would even be happening here were Unsounded written by a dude.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't think that would have changed my reaction at all. It's not the sexy aspect that weirds me out, it's the fact that Murkoph has been shown doing really horrible stuff, and while Unsounded is far from shiny and clean, seeing said stuff pop up in the comic itself might have made me uncomfortable enough to stop reading.

If you've ever heard of a comic series called Crossed, a similar thing happened to me when I read that. The first volume had some incredibly loving brutal stuff going down, but there was an interesting story being told and I felt there was at least a sense that the horrible stuff wasn't entirely (though it definitely was partly) for shock value. But after that, the depravity just went to another level and I felt there was nothing else to the story but "look at these terrible people doing terrible things". Perhaps seeing the Murkoph stuff reminded me of that experience and I was coloring my perception of Unsounded with it, I don't know.

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

There's plenty of legitimate criticisms to be made about Unsounded but the way Ashley works the site layout itself into her comic pages is seriously so well done. Though it kind of makes me not want to buy the books if she ever decides to print more of them because surely the effect will be lost a little. :v:

SpudCat fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 7, 2013

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Well I'd say that puts the speculation at rest.

Hello creepy rear end in a top hat.

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

I thought it was obvious he was going to do both- I agree with Fabricated about that bit of dialogue sounding rather rapey, but the big sharp teeth, biting/licking stuff, and the fact that the memory-ladies all had bits missing indicated to me that he likes to get his mack on and rape on at the same time.

... :shepicide:

Moving on, we're back to Jivi/Quigley/Black Tongues, and Iori is starting to give me a bit of a creepy vibe. I mean, based on what we've heard about the Black Tongues it would be surprising if they weren't at least morally gray, but in the first few pages she appeared I was kinda hoping she was just a nice lady who happens to be married to a mad scientist. Not in this comic I guess! :newlol:

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Brace for incoming mage rage. If Duane isn't royally pissed off I'll be very surprised.

Also did his foot come completely off? drat, it sucks to be a zombie. Maybe he can get a peg leg.

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Oh good, now the loyal steed who is also an adorable dog is going to die.

Good to have you back, Unsounded.

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

I don't think there's enough :barf: in the world to describe this page.

The magical pain bomb horrifically murdering him can only be a step lighter in tone.

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

I love the applauding squishes. :3:

And Duane's eloquent threats are always fun.

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Welp, looks like the silver has gone nuclear.

So long Ethelmilk.

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Duane takes an interesting approach to mental health I must say :stare:

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Finally, sweet catharsis :getin:

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Yay, the dog is okay!

rip toma tho

Adbot