Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

Well there's no way Sette will be that dumb, I mean - she knows that her amulet letting her command Duane is the only reason why she's safe from him in the first place, right? Besides Duane's good nature that is.

I mean, she can't possibly be considering letting him oh who am I kidding of course she'll do it because there's no way the artist's favourite character gets relegated to a one-off cameo. This goes double for a character who loves to monologue about philosophy, but has not yet monologued about philosophy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...And to think I was worried about him monologuing her to death.

Azran posted:

Haha, what the hell. I seriously expect Sette to stab him in the face next chapter, because if she doesn't :wtc:.

Bad news: She just tried slicing his face off but apparently her dagger is useless here.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

Axiem posted:

I'll follow for a while, but I'd like it to stop sinking deeper and deeper into a hole of depravity.
You and me both. As much as I like how clever a lot of the comic is, having the tone shift from "Sette and Duane's big adventure" to "Saw with kids" all the time is just jarring, and Murkoph looks like he fully intends to take things to as many new lows as possible.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

He strikes me as more of a Johnny Depp as Sweeny Todd than anything else.

Both in terms of his voice and in terms of being the author's favourite character who we're supposed to find dangerous-but-alluring despite being a murderous nihilistic psycho. Only, you know, without the few redeeming qualities Sweeny possesses.

Speaking of which, looks like Duane's not going to save Sette us from having to spend any more time with him that easily.

Pyradox fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Feb 22, 2013

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

Avshalom posted:

The bird's just as unhappy about it as we are.

"You know, if you had just let me kill you it would be so much more pleasant for everyone involved"

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

T.G. Xarbala posted:

When a creator puts his or her heart and soul out there for everyone to see, this might include some tastes that don't quite mesh with everyone else's sensibilities. That's more than fine, it's fair. Ms. Cope is writing for herself first and foremost, and if we enjoy the ride all the better.

I don't begrudge her doing so, but I'm always weary when a character appears to be so clearly the author's favourite that they're (apparently) just ported wholesale from her prior works. If I got the sense she was just messing with us that might not be so bad but as you said, it could still make for some uncomfortable reading.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

I've got to admit, before I started following this thread and learned all about how Unsounded is inspired by a roleplaying game, I didn't really notice so many of these problems.

Of course, before that, my biggest problem was that given how Sette managed to pass herself off as a fiance and run into a Brothel with Duane with no trouble, the world of Unsounded doesn't appear to have the same issues with pedophilia that the real one does, which Murkoph has done nothing to alleviate. :ohdear:

I remember someone asking about this on her formspring - apparently it varies by city but the one they're in now is pretty much "anything goes and anyone that says otherwise is evil". It's a bit more frowned upon in other parts.

Anyway, the fact it's based on an RP doesn't bother me so much because she's already managed to translate it into a compelling story pretty well up until this point. It certainly raises all sorts of questions about "was that seriously in the game?" but it's not in and of itself a a big problem.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

It is downright ridiculous how quickly this comic went from horrifying to adorable.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

Gabriel Pope posted:

I'm guessing Duane didn't get his massive save-the-children complex from not watching his daughter die gruesomely in front of him, so... give it a week, maybe?

I'd like to think that Duane not wanting to see kids die is a perfectly reasonable thing that doesn't stem from familicide, but it's this comic so a week sounds about right.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Duane is dead people, though.

Yes, but not dead people who witnessed this particular exchange so he wouldn't have this particular memory.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

Panel 5 is great and I made some avatars out of it:

And animated:

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

Man, even though I was sure it was coming it's still painful to watch.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

dpbjinc posted:

I do like that they had a reason to kill Mikaila as opposed to them just killing her because they're evil. I really hate over-the-top villains that kill innocents just to show how evil they are; the fact that she attacked them makes them work better in the story. It's also a fitting end to the character, despite her being doomed from the start.

To be fair, it was mainly because the guy was blinded and stabbing wildly.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

One of them did say "you can't do that to a cleric"; if they were actually from Cresce I doubt they would have cared about that, seeing as people like him would be put to death in their country.

Not to mention a Crescan wouldn't be using Aldish caste-based slurs to refer to him in the first place.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

I really don't think you're meant to like this creep. I mean look at the look on Sette's face.

I really like Sette in this page - she looks like she's about to stab him. I don't think it would work, but I'd appreciate the effort.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

At least we got a new good character (Elka) to make up for the fact there's a terrible one here.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

Yeah, looks like Sette is a really good lying teacher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

I can think of plenty of reasons Murkoph could and probably is important, but I don't think his inclusion in the story improves it. At least not based on what we've seen of him so far.

I think it's due to everything else about the story being complex and well built up and nuanced, and then Murkoph is just cartoonishly evil. We haven't been shown any of his layers or motivations, or even had hints that they exist. As in the tumblr post above you can literally draw him doing any evil thing at all and it doesn't feel out of character.

Even if he's important, it still feels like a waste of time to cut away from the other characters to whatever he's doing. It'll take a lot to make him worth the effort but so far it seems Cope either already thinks he is, or isn't in any hurry to do so.