Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Formspring says the gloves are special and given to very exceptional wrights so stupid people don't challenge them to duels and get killed.
Gets mentioned in that short story that went up under 'Miscellany" a few days ago, too.

quote:

“You’ll have Thorns some day,” he predicted. Duane thought of the blood-coloured gloves worn by the most lethal wrights, and wasn’t certain he wanted them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

T.G. Xarbala posted:

This slow-motion shoe-dropping sequence is like the bullet time of preparing to be very, very sad.

If Duane's entire family gets killed then Alderode can gently caress right off.
I'm very curious as to HOW the horrible thing happens now. If it's as straight forward as "Bodie says hello" *family disemboweled, then Duane* I'd expect Duane to be brofisting Quigley on the subject of How Alderode Is The Pits, not still a patriotic loyalist. Unless he got a little selective editing of memories...but then it'd be weird that he keeps flashbacking to his daughter, and what's the point of erasing things that can torture him if you're being cruel? Maybe he thinks the system's fine but the people in charge of it need replacing... but a system that permits something awful to happen to your family would be a preeettty big hurdle to overcome even for a diehard 'my-country-right-or-wrong' man.
Right now, my money's on "deeply suspicious accident pinned on Cresce somehow."

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Fabricated posted:

I am actually somewhat sure the kid survives at this point. The author has only really killed people with very little characterization so far and Mikaila has gotten an awful of it in just a couple dozen pages for her to be cut down in the street with her dad.
Honestly, so much characterization being packed in so densely in such a small space makes me MORE nervous. That, and she's been having a great day aside from the woops forgot to remind dad not to punch some man now he's cross thing. I mean
-It's her birthday.
-She got to hang around with a boy she is crushing on for half the day.
-Her uncle let her ride a crazy skyflythingy.
-Her daddy just promised her he'd teach her how to do magic crazy stuff that she had pretty much zero hope of ever learning any other way, ever, ever, ever.
With that setup, I'm dreading that the only way she's getting out of this alive is if surviving makes her life so lousy she wishes she hadn't.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

anathenema posted:

Is Elka a b-hole, as well? Because I'm really starting to enjoy her.
Called a foe 'hamsteak.' Clearly a militant vegetarian, therefore an rear end in a top hat.
An awesome rear end in a top hat.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

I really like how this particular scene developed: how often in a story does two cops putting kids in a jail cell for their own good ever get set up so that the cops are obviously sane and reasonable? Like, there's still LOADS of room for this to backfire horribly, but their logic was both sound and humane, one of the two kids in question basically agreed with it*, and they have a really rational plan if one of the biggest possible issues (angry dad) comes along.

*Cultural thing, yes, but he's also spent the last however as someone's prisoner, so there was legitimate reason for him to freak out if he was going to.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Huh looks like we'll be seeing Sette's history.
If we do, it looks like it'll be second-hand.

Ashley posted:

Ha, people keep asking me that. No, this is all a present-day chapter, no flashbacks.
Sensible enough. It'd be a bit early for another big pile of PoV backstory, and unlike Duane's there'd be no crazy magical mystery juice to explain why we're looking at it.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

It seems like once you're at a given level of competence the size of someone's magicdick matters a lot less than how clever they are with it (unless you're doing something crazy like holding an entire waterfall in your skeleton before the fight starts). Like, we haven't even brought up Rahm in the list of contenders and he used a home-field advantage to simultaneously poo poo on two of the unanimous shortlist candidates before he was countered by Duane's powerful spellery trick of 'being an angry-rear end dead guy.'

so basically

Motherfucker posted:

I think in terms of power level Duane is the best but as we all know power levels are horseshit.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Which is doubly hilarious given he's most of the reason they're now totally exposed and squarely in the middle of an instant warzone.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

I congratulate you, but I'm still holding out hard for line 2 of that post.

Oxxidation posted:

please let the pontificating corpse’s patriotic delusions finally slip here. sette got her reality check at the nevergreen, it’s his turn

Drakyn fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Oct 30, 2021

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

So, do you think that after all this Duane's finally been owned hard enough to stop thinking fascist ethnocracies are cool or is he going to have to spend a few more decades finding his way out of his own rear end in a top hat?

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Which brings up the closely-related philosophical question: how many people's lives would be improved if Duane never talked at all?

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Tar_Squid posted:

Quigley is trying to be a flaming pile of garbage when he's more of a pitiable little garbage pile.

Honestly a lot of the characters in the comic are rather pitiable garbage piles.

Death is the Gods' Crime, more like Death is Trash Pickup Day.

Bastion put Duane in the recycling bin instead of the compost on purpose, thereby sealing his fate.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Killed off Starfish, killed off the aldish war crimes pervert at the shrine, scrabbled around in the suddenly-empty box labelled 'overweight sex crimesters,' desperately pulled Starfish out of the trash can while brushing an apple core and some used gum off him.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

No room for n-bombs only dickweeds here. Deployed with tactical precision.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

TBF, I don't think organized rape and execution of the civilian populace with blatantly genocidal intent is something that everyone sat down and wrote up as 'formally speaking, this is okay' so I guess everyone's got their naughty pants on today.
Which is why I think 'quick! sic the zombies on the small, youthful and most vulnerable-looking targets while they look scared and helpless!' is such a thing in this strip because otherwise I'm not sure why any of us would look at this as even marginally nasty.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Staltran posted:

Prakhuta already had a soul though, it just wasn't a human soul. I don't think you could just replace it? And grafting a whole human soul into an existing Inak soul sounds off too. Might very well have been where Delicieu got the materials for whatever he did, though.
As far as I recall souls are a very specific weird immaterial organ that principally serve to sop memories from the brain in life and then dump them into the khert on death that only humans (possibly just humans living on this specific khert--fuckled continent?) have and Inak not having them is used as a justification for colonizing them; it's why Prakhuta was onboard with being a war crimes test subject to get one.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Twenty Four posted:

the wiki being intentionally deleted,
The say what now sorry?

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

Dog good. People bad.
Counterpoint: dogs are people, and therefore, bad.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Does that average noticeably change if we get rid of Duane?

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

shirts and skins posted:

the smug two toes haha

ding dong
Murderous Too Old For This poo poo inak is my favourite character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

"What if your horse was also your dog" is a concept too emotionally powerful and fraught to have been loosed on the world, imo
It's pretty scary to imagine your best friend running up to greet you at the door only to see some ants and drop dead.