Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I don't recall Elka being so stacked. Anti-breastplate indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I feel like Toma with a compound fracture is still a significant threat.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Straight White Shark posted:

I think it's pretty clear that she is using "masculine" and "feminine" to describe already popularly gendered traits, rather than saying that they are inherently gendered. Matty is unequivocally male but also "feminine."

That's how I read it. That you can have strong, well rounded characters with what have been gendered with "feminine" qualities, and that it's really not cool if we stop at "anyone can be a strong character so long as they display traits that are traditionally considered masculine."

Also, can never discuss this topic without thinking of Kate Beaton:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

Anyways there's a way out: destroy the shrine and create such a mess that no one will be able to tell Siya ran away.

Attack and Dethrone (the) God(s).

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

loving love it. A+ dong-kombat.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

We're gonna see Matty's guts strewn across a room.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Straight White Shark posted:

jesus christ do we even want to know what Ashley Cope considers traumatic after the last... all of the chapters???

That's why I'm goin' with the brutal death of the most innocent character in the strip.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Could just be talking about Duane's body.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Wonder if the Aldish Gestapo are being truthful here about Quigley. Also can't imagine how Matty will react.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

That flashback doesn't strike me as Quigley being ready to rat out Vienne. And it sounds like there were plenty of people in their community who might have done it themselves. At the same time, it's entirely possible the torture squad is being honest as that would be a way to break Vienne.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

This is one of my favorite pages ever. Goddamned must Duane have been a terror when he was living.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Wait, so where did we last see the two unarmed, now dead folks with Lori?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Looking forward to the further breakdown of Duane when he realizes what his countrymen are doing down there.

Also, Ricker is an idiot.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

When did we see Lem being involved in Duane's current state again? I don't recall it precisely.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

the holy poopacy posted:

It has not been stated outright but it is very heavily hinted that Lem was the ninja "Crescian" who took Duane down in the flashback of Duane's last day.

Right, I was referring to Lem being involved with the creation of Plod-Duane.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

FreeKillB posted:

My thoughts when seeing today's page was 'yikes, at least only one of the little eggs is dead'.

Well then

Honestly supportive of a two-toes massacre of many, many, many humans.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Welp.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Ok, so, what does the look on Lemuel's face mean?

Do the Ssaelit have a version of Levirate marriage? Might still be awkward to tell your zombified bro that you married his widow.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Lem is such a dick.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Emil Toma loving owns.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I'm not sure that's the case quite yet, but regardless Quigley is a loving worm. I can't say he's the worst, given the world he lives in, but what a self-pitying spineless piece of poo poo.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

We still don't know how involved Lem was in Duane's murder, do we?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

the holy poopacy posted:

I don't think it's been explicitly confirmed yet but it's been heavily hinted that Lem was the glamoured "Crescian" ninja.

EDIT: whoops I think I misread this. It's still unclear who all was in on the planning for Duane's murder and what their motivations were; Lem had to have been pretty central but it's interesting that he disapproves so strongly of Bastion's experiment given that it's kind of the whole thing. I wonder if Lem is in it purely out of jealousy for Duane's family and a desire to get Duane out of the way so that Lem could replace him.

Right, Word of Cope says that Duane would have noticed the glamour. Hence how we don't know exactly what Lems involvement was in this.

Tar_Squid posted:

Man everyone was hating on Quigley earlier for betraying Vienne but here comes Lemuel like 'Lemme show you how its done, bro-man.' And of course Bastion there being his usual wanker self. Every single bishie boy in this comic is turning out to be an irredeemable shitheel and I for one am loving the tears of the fanbase on realizing they're all horrible, horrible men.

Duane is a proud henchman for a brutal fascist state who was a complete dipshit even before he was dead. Bastion is a twerp through and through. Lem is a deeply hosed up former child soldier. None of them put a hit out on their own wife for not being "controllable."

Also, once Duane regains his footing, I'm calling it 50/50 that he's pretty happy Mikaela is alive.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 19, 2022

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

double post.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

that’s not what quigley did. he was a state assassin who believed in his country and its values and had plenty of firsthand experience in what the state did to subversives, so he snitched on vienne in the very foolish hope the authorities would re-educate the rebellion out of her and get rid of that construct that had been taking up all her attention. he was so eager for the chance to have the “old” vienne back that he even threw matty on the pyre. why not? matty was just one more thing he never wanted

Sure, but at the root of it was that he was mad at his wife for not being properly his chattel. And lets face it, given his job he knew she was going to be punished severely - he may have lied to himself about how it would have ended but he knew from experience what happened to people who were ratted out like she was. And his attempted suicide by cop was merely him trying to get himself killed so he wouldn't have to live with the aftermath - which included Matty still being alive.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Not gonna believe Matty's dead until we see the body.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jan 26, 2022

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

This was really a typo that needed fixing

WHOOPS. What I get for posting right before bed. Sorry.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I'd imagine that she's not officially a soldier, and instead an auxilliary of that Soud military group of which Lem's a member. Lions of something, I can't remember the name. As for why they accepted her, her uncle Lem is both the first Soud with a Vliegeng and a member, and her father was to be the first Soud to be promoted to Composer before he was brutally murdered by Cresceans. So it makes sense that they'd ignore/bend the rules for her, even though the rules are officially still the rules.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

She was also a very gifted wright in her own right, wasn't she?

Guess we'll have to wait and see where Duane's head is at on this

Right, but girls aren't allowed to be wrights in Alderode. IIRC Duane was training her in part because otherwise she would get herself and/or others killed trying to learn on her own.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Oh Uaid. :(

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Isn't there a famous play based on Quigley? At least the sanitized version of his story? Even if it can't be staged back home I'm sure the key notes are known.

Yeah, it's not very accurate but it's certainly famous based upon how people bring it up to Quigs.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I feel like Toma was a protagonist from before we even really met the Quigleys. A secondary one, but he's always been shown to the reader acting moreheroically than, say, Daddy Quigs. Elka's the one for me personally who grew from a supporting cast role to a member of the protagonist ensemble.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Welp, that city is getting nuked.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I don't think it's that much of backwater. It's at least big enough for Queen Sonorie to do her Tirnasday thing there.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Well, I entirely missed that!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

They're gonna make the kid kill their dad as an initiation, aren't they?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

habeasdorkus posted:

They're gonna make the kid kill their dad as an initiation, aren't they?

I'm glad that I appear to have been wrong about this.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

"So, he lose weight?" is a very good punchline.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I am here for Toma/Elka. Given how bad things happen pretty consistently in this comic, I'm guessing one of them is dead by the end of the chapter... but I'm still here for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I'm glad Knock has lived. I'll feel bad if/when she gets crashed by the Anadyne/Silver.