Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Duane kept one of the hearts, didn't he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Wasn't there something about the Dammakhert allowing Aldishmen to sense lies among each other?

Though I suppose such a thing would be easy to cheat or exploit by government interrogators.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 17, 2021

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Quite a few people.

They're all wrong. Mikaila is super dead.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Even more terrifying a wright now, that with how he has perfect recall.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Oxxidation posted:

I don’t know if Duane’s assassination was a result of his rejection of Bodie’s plan - that’s a big operation to roll out in the space of a few hours. My take was that Duane was supposed to dazzle the council and accept the position, adding extra outrage/pathos to his death later that evening. Instead he hosed it up by rebuking the council (and the assassins hosed up by killing his daughter as well)

unless the assassination was set aside as a contingency plan, but I’m not sure if Bastion would have been onboard if his Frankenstein bullshit was intended to be Plan B

Could very well be that foiling the assassination was in the cards as well.

Fabricated posted:

I originally felt that Bastion set up the assassination because Duane was exactly what he needed to make his monster but :shrug:

Nah, he was hired for it, and having a tacit caster to work with for his own purposes once the deed was done was his reason for taking the job.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

I think he's hearing Ssael for the first time since dying? I'm not sure since until now it's always been wordless.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Cope said the monsters are a metaphor.

Poorly communicated but that's the answer.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Unsounded's longest-running conspiracy theory.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Wheats posted:

Lemuel was the one who asked Duane to bring Mikaila to the temple that day, was he hoping seeing her dad get murdered would radicalize her? What a cool uncle! :thumbsup:

I'd mark that one as purely pragmatic: having Mikaila with him would slow Duane down.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Did Quigley actually go snitch on the terrorists, or did the authorities suspect and he spilled the beans to save his rear end?

Since all we have going for it is the flashbacks to the shitdick interrogators and haven't read the Q&A in a while, the actual situation isn't very clear to me.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Duane fundamentally couldn't find himself in Quigley's position, because Quigley's situation was the result of never having or forcing any expectations on Vienne, whereas Duane can't stop preaching.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

No, that's the assassin with the spellslicer.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Alderode has a mechanism precisely for the purpose of accepting exceptional talent into traditionally male roles - she could be going Third.

As for Matty, it'd be fitting if he dies here but the green outline is there to remind us he's covered by Uaid's field spreader, so while I'm confident Uaid is not making it past the chapter, Matty himself is either surviving or at the very least not being immediately atomized (so that Quigs can find his little dead/dying body).

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

The facility was destroyed and as a bonus they eliminated the traitor Quigley who was clearly in league with the Crescians. It wasn't smooth sailing but the operational objectives were largely accomplished and it doesn't sound like Rickert would be missed.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

eh

Bastion's a supporting character, it's just he has more presence than others, which I'm sure to be part of his concept as a character who has the most comprehensive idea of the structure of this story and theoretical ability to influence it, yet inability/unwillingness to do so. Like an inverse Timofey.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Duane, insane as his brain putrified, broke his nose and ran away. Lem had no idea what'd happened to him until encountering him at Litriya.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Likely never. Duane is very aware his parts are removable and even interchangeable, and while he exploits this (and not too rarely) by necessity, he does not like dwelling on the Ship of Theseus-style implications of it.

I believe he'd be more at peace if he came to terms with being an essentially disembodied human soul preserved from the merciless workings of the Khert through being anchored to whatever pymaric artifice lies implanted in his spine, but that wouldn't be the Duane we know and love, now would it? Grotesque and painful as it is, he'd much rather cling to the idea that he's Duane Adelier's corpse out of nostalgic familiarity while pretending it's not a matter even up for debate.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

I believe Quigley was afraid of what would happen if the government got wind of his village giving Uaid to the rebels, and so snitched on them before that happened in hopes that by doing so preemptively and making a case for Vienne they'd spare her life.

He never truly minded that Vienne wasn't a traditional Aldish wife (as he was content for her to do as she pleased if it made her happy - an arrangement that led to their marriage in the first place), but the cultural expectation that he should be the master of his house obviously exerted further pressure on him, as he couldn't avoid feeling responsible for not being able to keep her from carrying on with what he thought was a very dangerous idea.

To be clear, he was unhappy with his marriage, but the pain points were Uaid for obvious reasons and Matty, because he'd never had interest or desire to be a father and now he had another mouth to feed and also competition for Vienne's attention. A very lovely way for a father to feel and one that he shouldn't let influence his actions but also entirely ordinary feelings. With everything that happened afterwards he's ended up with even more complicated feelings towards Matty, and while he's obviously a lovely dad, assuming (as he's trying to present himself in these panels) that he only keeps him around because he's too much of a coward to off himself is very reductionist.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Duane giving Quigs the (verbal) hug he needed.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Besides the catharsis inherent in airing out his shame and frustration, Quigley was looking for condemnation to distract himself while reaffirming his self-loathing internal narrative of being a despicable piece of poo poo - after all, everything happened because he wasn't strong enough, because he wasn't good enough, because he is Mathis Quigley the forever outsider, fundamentally incapable of finding happiness anywhere as everything he touches inevitably turns to excrement.

But instead, the most self-righteous ponce for hundreds of miles around, a "man" who Quigley has at-best tolerated but largely and consistently antagonized since their first encounter, and who out of all present has the cultural context to truly understand just how much of a gently caress up Quigley is, went and showed him sincere empathy.

Instantly disarmed, Quigley collapses and clings to that glimmer of acceptance.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 11, 2022

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Fabricated posted:

Ashley just straight up saying the cast is getting trimmed back next chapter, lol. Man it's gonna be cruel probably.

The story is soon moving to Alderode and no way Toma/Elka or the Quigleys would follow, so we're very much in Anyone Can Die territory here.

That said, the Crescian conspiracies need resolution so unless Sonorie's plans come to an abrupt end there's still a role for Toma and/or Elka to play.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Yeah Cope's mentioned the ancient Rortidians coexisted with the apparently highly intelligent Kassylinian lions, using them as terrifying partner-mounts. That ended with the emergence of Ssaelism, since Ssael's martyrdom and adoption of lions as his symbol led to not only lions but all felines in Kassyline be hunted to extinction by zealous Gefendur.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

All the carnage definitely weights on Sonorie - she's lost her sister and Roger was a genuine friend even if their relationship was a farce - but she's not letting it stop her for a second.

She wants to destroy Alderode and both her own people and innocent Alds on the other side, including the Ssaelit that will be genocided down to the last, are acceptable collateral.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Yeah, realistically there can be no peace with Alderode while Ssaelism persists so regrettably genocide is the only way.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

CSA?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Jon was 18 and Duane like 20.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

:shrug: Jon being 18 is something Cope said in her formspring years ago back when he first showed up and people asked, since he was very much older looking than the rest of the plat squad. Duane had just been kicked out of the academy so he was 19-20 during the chapter.

She also mentioned that Jon had a thing for Duane that he never noticed and which would've been entirely one-sided either way, since he's maybe her straightest character. All too happy to indulge the fantasies of her readers (that fork out the commission dosh) to see Jon get his wish, though.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Captain Oblivious posted:

Mary Cagle is ace

So is Cope!

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Blasting her own side would be a drastically different emotional experience I reckon.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Beautiful.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Seems intentional - Lemuel looks about to pry Mikaila away from the situation, and the panels shift in tone and style alongside his attempt.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

I suddenly remembered that, in one of those rare instances of Alderode and Cresce agreeing to common rules of war, plod soldiers are outlawed.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Formspring posted:

[...] Plods were originally invented not for slave labour, not in a search for immortality, but in order to bolster Cresce's army and fight the Aldish. Then the Aldish figured out how to make plods and both sides had them. The practise became ridiculous when Black Tongues took to the field for both countries and you had dead Crescians turned by the Aldish to fight dead Aldish turned by the Crescians. Treaties were signed and plods were banned from warfare entirely. Practical Cresce saw something promising, however, and repurposed plods as labourers, eventually enabling them to ban slavery and enter a progressive boom. Meanwhile, the Ssaelit of Alderode are scripturally forbidden from any pymary to do with desecration of the dead, so they lobbied against plods in both the army and as a domestic workforce, and recycled labour never got off the ground up north.

[...]

The plods were fairly effective in combat. They had two modes, essentially, just like the labourer variety has today: simple command enactment and direct control. Plods could be given simple commands like "Kill with a sword anything in a red tunic" and they'd be pretty effective at it, pushing forward in spite of all injury, even decapitation (though this made it hard for them to see red tunics). For more complex maneuvers they could be directed by handlers who could at a distance change their behaviours, taking them past pymary barriers that would cook a living man in order to wipe out the enemy's wrights or simply marching them in front of murder holes in barricades and physically clogging the enemy's sights with bodies.

Plods weren't permanent soldiery and the decay factor was not a big deal. Plods needn't be trained so they were exceedingly expendable, and easily replaceable by stealing enemy casualties or recruiting their own dead soldiers (the ones who'd given permission prior to dying of course). Eventually the practise just got out of hand, there was public outcry on both sides because families weren't getting their dead back for burial, soldiers were finding it increasingly distasteful and morale-breaking to be surrounded by the dead, and there were sanitary concerns in the encampments. No one was terribly sorry to see the plods go after the treaty was signed.

Integrating plods into the workforce was a bit of a struggle after all the bad PR they got during their military ventures. The Queen at the time really believed in the concept though, and saw it as a solution for the country's labour needs. She pushed for it, the government started selling the idea via a strenuous propaganda campaign, and Recycled Labour was eventually accepted and saw great success. Occasionally you get a plod that will get a little twitchy, a little too hungry, and he might wriggle out of his handler's control briefly, but this doesn't really happen often enough that it's a concern. You'd think this whole system is a setup for an eventual zombie apocalypse story twist, but I promise it's not. Plods just work. They are a useful, effective pymary-driven technology in much of Kasslyne.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Using those crows as mask analogues also grants them a degree of deniability if the incident is inquired on further.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

It's not about what's morally worse.

Both sides conduct ethnic cleansings if given the chance; zombie soldiers just happen to be one of those things they both agreed not to do, so we're shifting from "this war is a regularly very brutal affair" showing how Alderode callously targets the civilian population as a matter of doctrine to "and now Cresce is being extra naughty" by employing mutually-banned weapons.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

At least several centuries and possibly in the ballpark of a millennium, since Vits rule seems to be about that old and it sounds unlikely Gefendur neighbors would peacefully tolerate a (partially) Ssaelit state. I imagine Cresce would've been quite confrontational once stabilized from the wars that led to its unification, assuming Crescia didn't predate the fall of Aldish monarchy in the first place.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 19, 2022

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Potentially! An established intended effect of the curse is leaving a deep, lasting hatred of its target that one simply accepts even if aware of its external nature - the one true unifying cause in all of Alderode is thus seeing Roger Foi-Hellick dead and all his works buried and forgotten. It's not unreasonable to believe that to some degree the curse could be having an influence at the top level and consequently on policy, tempered as it might be by the complexities of national affairs.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

My take is Ufal's flaw is that despite the minimal power officially granted by his title he actually enjoys exceptional potential to exert political influence, but throughout the story he's only ever opened his mouth to point out things everyone already knows, and even that he's only done very sparing out of apparent dread to rock the boat.

So while him being an honest man just doing his job is a correct read, we know he has the cunning to see through the intrigue yet opts to largely keep his distance out of some mix of cowardice and willful naivete.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

There have never been Inak in Alderode. Besides the tribe Shaensigin took with her in the flashback chapter it's likely either there just aren't any or that they exist in too few numbers and/or in such remote (deep) locations they simply never had contact with humans in the North.

Inak genocide and enslavement, at least within recorded history, is a sin exclusive to the rest of the continent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

That was Toma speaking in the last panel.