Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Ryan Pequin major Unsounded fan

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

You know what, I think I like this comic.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I actually like this comic quite a bit and don't think the author would be frightening to meet in person at all.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

While it's pretty obvious there's a deeper scheme going on here with the ritualistic way they're taking care of Duane, I'm not convinced that it has anything to do with the councilor he bopped. The punishment for that transgression involved getting the tar kicked out of him without even his own daughter batting an eye, and he lives in a society where enemies of the state are put on kebabs and barbecued at the center of the city in broad daylight. Hiring a bunch of magiced-up thugs to kill Duane seems plausible, but just plain unnecessary. And Lemuel did mention Cresce was trying to smuggle mercenaries into the city.

Actually if anything I'm going to point fingers at Shadwe, who Lemuel underestimated when he said he was too weak for backdoor plotting.

edit: what the guy above me said. That'll learn me to leave thread open since this morning and not reply until lunch.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 19, 2013

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Specifically the instructions were "His heart still beating". Then they deliberately put out one of his eyes, with one guy demanding they open his mouth, presumably to get at his tongue, which as you mentioned is missing. They may not want him dead yet but they definitely want him in a specific condition.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 19, 2013

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Fabricated posted:

The whole world is Tolkien-level (in detail) established from like a decade of her RP gaming group, so it has this enormous backstory/canon it pulls from.

This is really cool because it means if you have any spergy interests in minutia it likely has a sensible, canon answer rather than being "A wizard did it shut the gently caress up so I can tell my story" thing. If you're observant you can suss out a shitload of story; unlike say Lost where people discovered the writers were literally just pulling it out of their asses and had no real plans so shallowness was mistaken for depth.

This is also really bad because it's hard to boil a lot of it down to explain the backstory within the confines of the comic. Stuff is significant to characters and you don't know why, but a comic isn't great for again, Tolkien-level asides explaining every little thing.

It's kind of amazing how half the people who take a look at this comic complain how it's poo poo because every single person is an exposition fountain talking about how all this intricate backstory and world-building works for the benefit of the reader, and half the other people who try to read it end up complaining because everything is too unclear and vague and only explained in offsite appendices that they don't read. Ashley just can't win, can she?

And for gently caress's sake there are people out there that think we're supposed to like Murkoph?

edit: Just because I'm not sure it's clear, I'm agreeing with you Fabricated not attacking you.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 28, 2013

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I mean, I haven't read any of the non-comic materials so chances are good that if Ashley wrote some 30 page diatribe about how Murkoph is her best-written and favoritest character ever and she wants to make kisses with him I've missed it, but here's what I've seen of this guy in the comic: He tricks Sette into freeing him from a prison literally made of the souls of the women he's killed and then expresses his gratitude by attempting to rape her.

And then the reaction to this guy isn't "wow, a loving rapist pedophile murderer, this guy is clearly scum we're supposed to hate". It's not even "Jesus god, this horribly written character is ruining the tone of this light-fantasy piece where a different pedophile bandit eviscerates children and fills their still-mobile hollow torsos with living silver to sell on the black market". The response is "Oh my GOD Ashley is doing EVERYTHING IN HER POWER to make us love this guy and is clearly gushing over him and wants him to be the new main character of the comic forever and breaking the style and setting over her knee to do so!"

It's just mind-boggling, as if I've started reading some sort of bizarro-world fever-dream Dominic Deegan mock thread where the audience is glorifying the rapist as a hero instead of the author. It's like reading Dance of Dragons and going "Wow this George R. R. Martin fellow sure likes to go on and on about this Ramsay Bolton fellow flaying people's fingers and starving them to death and hunting down girls with his pack of dogs. It's SO OBVIOUS that it's his favorite pet character he wants everyone to like and who he actually wants to be the hero of the Song and Ice and Fire series!"

I just don't get it.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 28, 2013

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Rannos22 posted:

Funny that you mention DD because this pacing is starting to get mookian. So we just got out of a month long flashback within a 2+ week long acid trip into the magical ether (I guess) within this city where we've spent at least a year screwing around in. When is Mookie going to remember the plot? :v:

You're right, revealing a part of Duane's backstory is so completely irrelevant to the plot of Unsounded I can't imagine why she thought it was necessary to do at all.

Maybe Dominic Deegan, where you could fling poo poo in any direction and still hit something valid, has made everyone complacent or something, but just because Unsounded isn't perfect doesn't mean you can take the same approach.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 29, 2013

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Rannos22 posted:

I'm not saying its poo poo or the Duane flashback was anything other than great, just that a 2+ month long aside kinda kills the focus on uh whatever was happening before this. I'm sure if I read this straight through in one sitting it might seem like less of a meandering detour. v:shobon:v

That was kind of harsh of me, sorry. But from your title I can tell you like Gunnerkrigg Court, right? It's kind of like complaining that the past few chapters of that have gotten in the way of the crew having a big fight scene with Jeanne, because Tom forgot the plot.

Cat Mattress posted:

That's why.

A good chunk of the comments for his introduction are basically "Yay Murkoph! Awesome!" and the next few pages also have comments such as this:

The lesson here is that internet comments are terrible; but anyway between the creepy fans going "sooo dreamy" over a stitched corpse that rapes people and the side material that engendered said creepy fans, there was reason to believe it's a character we're supposed to love. After all, those readers who had been exposed to him earlier do love him...

This is an utter shame, and I choose to continue not reading any of the material outside the comic.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 29, 2013

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

The unwitting hero being tricked into releasing an unspeakable monster from its prison and having to eventually vanquish it is a plot device that is as old as dirt if not older, it shouldn't be hard to find a place for him in the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Yeah but I think it's pretty clear loads of people don't want to see him as a recurring villain entire arcs are oriented around, in fact that's sort of exactly the primary concern being expressed. Dude's not horrible and hateful in the sense that he'd be a great antagonist, he's just unpleasant to the point you want to stop watching.

Fair enough, I didn't mean that "Oh hey here's going to be the end boss of the story of Unsounded". More of a "Hey Sette, you hosed up and you're going to have to fix it" sort of plotline.

edit: Now that you mention it if Murkoph makes it out of the khert a confrontation between him and Starfish seems like it could actually be quite exceptional if played very, very carefully.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jul 3, 2013