Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Duane's feeling the Johnson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Yeah I actually checked back because I wasn't fully following what Iori was doing. Going over it all at once it was awesome, this comic is so good.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

It also might be that it doesn't take a whole lot of the total amount of kinetic energy in the waterfall to get poo poo done. So there might be an effect but not an easily visible one because the energy you need to gently caress a dude up is a really small fraction of the energy all that water flow has.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Wasn't the idea behind the plats being holy that "the gods can't bear to be apart from them for long" or whatever? How does that square with uh I forget the name of it, but Duane's pseudo-montheistic/humanistic religion that ~half of the nation follows?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

lol awesome.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

What the gently caress is even up with this dude. He came out of nowhere and at first I figured he knew Duane.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Honestly I don't think I'd mind as much if he had some kind of pre-existing connection to any of the characters.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I got the impression that this Jack-the-Ripper-alike was a Black Tongue from this part.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I'm leaning to the possibility that he didn't actually commit any murders or anything irl, he just got stuck in the septic tank for souls, absorbing all the worst bits until he believed it was all him.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I think it's actually pretty well chosen in this case though.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

Tensions seem so high between the two faiths in Alderode that that seems unlikely, though. The reasoning behind Duane's assassination is SO plausible for the political situation that I don't see it being interpreted as anything other than exactly what it looks like, especially since it was that same day the temple got confirmation that the Gefendur were trying the rebalancing plan.

The gamble of the false flag here is that nationalism can counter religious enmity. Sure, it's all well and good when Aldish Gefendur want to take advantage of a loving plague to politically sideline the Ssaelit, but getting help from goddamn Crescians? gently caress that! If anything, they'd have to abandon the re-balancing just to show their loyalty to Alderode and distance themselves from Crescian terrorists.

Dunno, that seems plausible to me.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Raposa posted:

Sharteshane Domination!

shart pryde

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

This reminds me that in one of the really early chapters, Duane found a belt buckle or something from a Crescian soldier that said "Republic of Cresce" on it (iirc). Was that retconned or are they going with the Roman principate "We're totally a republic even though we have a monarch, honest!" thing?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

Both Alderode and Cresce seem to have pretty garbage governments, and I'm betting that when we see Sharteshane's it's going to also go off to the garbage races.

otoh:

Raposa posted:

Sharteshane Domination!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Reading this update was the exact moment I realized that I hate the thing where one character is getting up in another's grill, who seems to be trying to de-escalate things, and the first one is like "no gently caress you!" and then the second one points out some nearby calamity that renders the whole conflict moot.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

So do all Black Tongues actually get castrated or is he just being snarky?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

So, I just realized another facet of the Duane/Mathis father friction dynamic: Mathis realizes he's likely to die before Matty is fully grown.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Was unsure of the exact ages and what would be considered "fully grown" but sure. It is central to his character, but I never put together how much the idea of competition to be his son's dad could eat at him for that very reason until now.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Cat Mattress posted:

Oh yes, ritual twin murder. We needed another reminder of how hosed Unsounded's world is.

Wow, rude.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > Unsounded: Please do not punch babies

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

It's interesting to me that Saelit doesn't have any presence outside Alderode.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I barely remember these people, lol.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

reignonyourparade posted:

I agree it was a false flag, but I think it was the opposite. It was an attempt to refocus the aldish gefendur's hate on Cresce, because everyone hates Cresce and if Cresce is trying to divide us that means it's the time for unity.

Yeah if nothing else an obvious result of that attack is that the Aldish Gefunder would pretty much have to denounce it and acclaim their Ssaelit countrymen as kin just to not be associated with Cresse.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Meanwhile Sharteshane is a literal den of scum and villainy but trundles along stably with organized crime and big business (but I repeat myself) running the show behind a puppet king.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I really figured it meant Sette is a lot older than she looks or knows.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I don't remember why but I found Sette really annoying when I first started reading this, so I can totally understand people not getting past the first chapter. I think "skip it and treat it as a flashback later" is good advice for getting into Unsounded in that case.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I wish his deal was that he isn't a character in the comic.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

The problem isn't that he's not likeable, it's that the way he's not likeable isn't even interesting.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

So like... what happened in the page before this one. Who was glamored?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Okay, thanks, that makes perfect sense. I guess I just hadn't paid attention to the captain before this, thought at first he was mad for having the glamor removed which was, uh, confusing.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Things are looking up for this company of child soldiers now clearly marked as having never suffered a casualty.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

This revelation/reminder does imply that Ssael isn't responsible for the Dammakhert, though, and by extension that it isn't the Great Mistake that Ilganyag laments in one of the most important panels of the story thus far.

Which panel was that, sorry can't remember.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Cool, thanks. Honestly this is another comic where I feel like there's just too much going on and I need to do a full re-read to catch up on stuff.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

I'd imagine every plat squad has an adult heading it up, much like Duane and Jon do this one. So while Duane killed one caster down there, it's not a guarantee he killed a child (and I suspect the story will go out of its way to show that to the reader at some point, even if Duane himself never finds out.) Cope goes for some big asks from her audience but revealing her main character to be a child murderer is probably too far even for her.

Kinda seems like Duane was cool with zapping some kids though.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Roger is 100% going to have to kill his boyfriend.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

make mockery posted:

the bird, and fish, and tree,

who are the fish and tree?

I kinda read this as "y'all humans are latecomers to the natural world"

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

It's great how Duane is like "welp idk what's going on, but killing Roger seems like a good enough idea so"

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

PetraCore posted:

...it's very possible the effects of the curse just made Mallory say what he knew would hurt Roger the most, although I believe parts of that to be true. Very possible. But there's no way for Roger to ever know what was true and what was the curse, as far as Mallory's feelings towards him, and nothing changes the fact that he had to kill the man he loved.

EDIT: Namely, I don't think it makes any sense for Mallory to lie about knowing the salt lizard before and sending her to Roger because Roger could get the government to curse him, while Mallory couldn't and was too scared to invite that upon himself. I don't buy that he hated Roger the whole time and was only manipulating him, because that's where it makes sense for the curse to be twisting his memories and perceptions - Mallory literally cannot be trusted in his perception or recollection of Roger while the curse is active.

The bit about "you're a coward leading scores of people to their death while you don't want to suffer anything" seems based on very recent frustrations. It's likely that what Vamps said about Roger's reputation as why he sought him out is true because it predates any feelings that could develop.

What I'm getting out of this is that the curse is able to effectively amplify all the things that ever bothered you about or turned you off from its target such that even if you know what it's like and it targets a person you love, it can still make you hate them.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

The fourth senet beast... is man...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Straight White Shark posted:

No more pants when I'm god!

:same: