Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Oxxidation posted:

So this is basically going to be the Worst Day for Duane. He woke up from a dream where he got to watch his daughter die again, finds himself with an unconscious Sette and a dead half-eaten guy, knows that both are his fault, is about to engage in a zany cover-up to get out of the love hotel before the cleaners find the mess, and when he finally manages to limp out of there on his shattered leg, he's going to find out that he is, technically, in Cresce.

Man, it's been almost a year in real-time since he first went to sleep.

He may think it's his fault, but it's really Sette's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

So.. how old is Sette, anyhow?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Benagain posted:

Old enough to realize that bankers are truly the most feared creatures on this earth.

real talk like ten, twelve.

In human years or in whatever she is years?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

What the hell... WHERE ARE HIS FEEEEEEEET?!?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

reignonyourparade posted:

Yes I agree literally everyone in Unsounded except Matty is a bad person.

You misspelled Jivi.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Fabricated posted:

Stockyard probably promised the guards he'd do something to keep the town open.

And that something is almost certainly tied into the first silver scheme.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Tenebrais posted:

I still can't tell whether this brothel is trying to oppose our heroes or solicit them.

Yes.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Grognan posted:

Or magic perhaps, its nice to look at though. I might bet that if we ever see it, less people starve in Cresce than Alderode.

Maybe, maybe not. Cresce will certainly tell you that their starving poor are far happier than those heretics in Alderode.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Twenty Four posted:

This may be a bit of the calm after the storm, but there is still so much tension, anyones guess is as good as mine as where this is going.

Before the storm?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Twenty Four posted:

It was stated that there will only be several more pages in the chapter, and Quigley won't be in this one (unless that changed), so even if he does come looking for Matty we likely won't see it for a month or more until after the break. Duane is all locked up for the night, so he is out. Sette is still close by, she might help her new recruits out of the bind she just put them in, but I don't see her helping out a cop out of the goodness of her heart, especially one that wanted to put her in jail before.

Captain Toma is the only character we know that would have any obvious reason to come by the police station and have any real motivation to save Elka. Every other character we have met is either missing the ability, motivation, location, or knowledge of what is happening to do much.

It looks like Elka's last move was to try to help save the kids using some sort of water spell but the effect still seems ambiguous. It appears that Jivi and Matty are falling or slipping, so did she try to make the guard slip but miss, get the kids to slip out of the way of the sword, turn the ground into water so the kids could fall through it to somewhere safer below, or something else? I guess we have to wait until Monday to find out, which still isn't as bad as the much longer wait comming up soon.

Its the fall through the floor spell Elka used earlier to trap the police station with.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Roger Explosion posted:

At this point, I'd even be content with a not-so-terrible-kinda-maybe-END for Duane.

I would be. His story isn't even close to complete at this point.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

They hosed up, bad. They made a super weapon that responds to trauma, and then decided to start torturing a lich that's made out of trauma right next to it. Basically, their nuclear pile might just have gone supercritical.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

DrSnakeLaser posted:

Maybe this is a dumb question, but why did everyone ignore the silver growing out from the boat? Even if they weren't thinking it would go off so rapidly, how would the boat manage to sail with tendrils rooted in the building itself? I'm just bothered by the efforts to unblock the passage and not the magic-immune metal.

Also I feel like Dawn's hair is coloured with a pymaric, which I'm sure will turn out fine.

The reason is that Stockyard just killed the only person in his gang that was any good at risk assessment.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Long live the new flesh!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Have we seen any effective doctors that aren't black tongues at this point?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

TheCIASentMe posted:

You all are also forgetting that Sette blew a hole in the Khert earlier. That probably was a big reason why the silver went off prematurely.

I'm guessing that the reason why Duane is the catalyst for the silver isn't because he's angsty, because I'm pretty sure you can find any number of people more angsty than him. I'd guess he's the catalyst because of his half-dead nature. He's a window to the Khert which would have let the silver draw out bad memories through him to feed on and grow in strength. The hole in the Khert accelerated that massively.

The catalyst isn't angst, but suffering. Duane has suffered more than anyone living can endure, which is kind of the point.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

TheCIASentMe posted:

Huh, sorry missed that post there.

I was being flippant with the "angst" thing but the idea that Duane is somehow special with his suffering isn't true. There are plenty of people in the world who have suffered. Someone having their kid murdered in front of them is probably not uncommon in the war-torn areas.

That's not right, either. Every night Duane relives his daughter's death and his disfigurement/murder. It's not a dream, but the event's indelible mark in the khert. He is experiencing the worst day of his life every night in a manner that no living being (with the one off exception of Sette) can experience. So yes, he does have it a bit worse than everyone else.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The gods are assholes and undeserving of worship.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

casualvillain.com just generated an interesting error for me:

Database Error
User adelier already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Interesting to see Winalis doing something unambiguously good during his introduction, too.

I wouldn't characterize it as unambiguously good, he's almost certainly employing untested magical techniques that he devised. The fact that his spirit-minion calls him on the lie that he's only trying to undo the damage done earlier suggests that any good he accomplishes is just a happy coincidence.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Mar 15, 2016

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The guy was clearly about to give her the rapy, but she didn't want any of it.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

lol 'element' of truth

this is a comic of supernaturally bad dads

hey, the supernatural one is, by everything we've seen so far, a pretty good dad.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Captain Bravo posted:

A warm, loving, kind father who always does the right thing... until night falls and he turns into a unreasonable nightmarish monster that doesn't care who he hurts and has to be locked away for everyone else's safety.

AKA Fantasy Alcoholism. :getin:

In my experience, alcoholism and abuse isn't nocturnal.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

When a man strides confidently and with purpose, it is easy to overlook that he has no legs. When he crawls on his belly like a worm, it's easy to forget that he can stand.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Is it really indecent if you like what you see?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Maybe less "okay" and more being forced into it by the conspiracy. He was clearly torn up about it in the days leading up to the assassination. You're probably right about the magical crime against humanity being his tipping point though.

I'm sure the death of the daughter went over well.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Duane's an honest man, an amazing spellcaster, and yet not a complicated person, nor a very deep thinker.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Gabriel Pope posted:

Duane you're not allowed to kill Rahm, he's cooler than you.

What a terrible opinion.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Roland Jones posted:

Oh, hey, evidence against Murkoph being Ssael. Nice. Never liked that theory.

New theory:

Whatever they did to Ssael, they did the same thing to him. Some kind of khert banishing ritual, perhaps?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

GunnerJ posted:

This reminds me that in one of the really early chapters, Duane found a belt buckle or something from a Crescian soldier that said "Republic of Cresce" on it (iirc). Was that retconned or are they going with the Roman principate "We're totally a republic even though we have a monarch, honest!" thing?

I would be shocked if it wasn't the latter.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

I wonder what snek-dude's relationship to the two-toes is.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

PetraCore posted:

Yeah, I figured. And, I mean, I find Sette to be charming and I know a lot about her internal struggles, but Jivi's seen less and is also in a position to care less because he actually has to deal with the consequences of her actions. Making fun of her being illiterate is beyond the pale, but as emotionally mature as he can be, he's also still a kid and Sette also stomps right on a lot of his biases. It's easier to just write her off as a Shart than it is to fully get into why she's not emotionally prepared to stop looking for the approval of a parent who isn't doing what's best for her, etc.

Hey now, Duane is doing everything he can to protect Sette when he has the mental faculties to do so.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Who are the bad guys in this comic, again?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Is Duane a good guy? I think so, but now I'm expecting a flashback where he feasted on still living Crescian babies, and I don't mean as a zombie.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Those lizards sure are looking awfully Armenian. I doubt any of them will reach the end of their march alive.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

All titties matter.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

PetraCore posted:

So the guard just totally wants the First Gold for himself, right?

No, he's just very concerned about the safety of the subhuman things in the concentration camp that have no pymaric ability. He want to make certain that all of them make it safely to the gulag.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

Called it. Bastion spent the entire scene with Anadyne getting actively tortured in the background and didn't do a single goddamn thing about it. Spent the entire scene trying to talk Cutter down off the ledge instead. Bastion sucks real real bad you guys.

What scenario is there where he tries to rescue Anadyne that doesn't result in him being torn apart by the silver beast he's inside of? The very same silver beast that pymary doesn't work on, mind you.

His only shot at helping anyone lies in trying to talk Prakhuta down.

He's still a dirt bag, though.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

So, Cutter's endgame isn't just to kill all humans, but to destroy their souls and cycle of reincarnation via the khert, right?

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

War sucks and is really good at making broken bodies and broken minds.