Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Fake edit: Looking at yours again, I think the descender from the 'g' above the 20 made it look like a 30. If that means you're throwing in the Con-50, I'd say stick with the Con-20 as it has more capacity, but it's up to you if you just dislike squeeze fillers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.

EDIT: Sorry, that is more like 1:50 in there right now.

CannedMacabre fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 7, 2013

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

Fayk posted:

I know some people who prefer Zebra Sarasa/etc gel pens to things like the Pilot G-2.

I have no idea why anyone would use a ballpoint when they can use something like a G2/etc. Ever.

I like the Pilot G2 a lot. For times when I can't use a FP, that was my go-to pen. Until I picked up the Zebra Sarasa Clip in Japan last spring. Those are some of the best cheap gel pens I've ever used. Unfortunately they don't sell them in the US, where I live. They sell a "Sarasa" but it's crap compared to the "Sarasa Clip"

On topic; Has anyone used the Sailor "Jentle" line of inks. I love the Blue-Black but it has this plastic ink reservoir inside that is supposed to make sure you can always draw ink until the last drop is gone. I never had a problem with it until I tried to fill my Platinum 3776 the other day. It seems the fill hole is so high up on the feed I can barely draw any ink. Before I make a mess and waste ink, does anyone know if I can take that reservoir out of the bottle?

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Fayk posted:

I know some people who prefer Zebra Sarasa/etc gel pens to things like the Pilot G-2.

I have no idea why anyone would use a ballpoint when they can use something like a G2/etc. Ever.

I tended to use Uniball 207s and I know that they had trouble marking some surfaces that ballpoints did fine with. That or it would mark but not dry (such as label tape in the lab).

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

kirtar posted:

I tended to use Uniball 207s and I know that they had trouble marking some surfaces that ballpoints did fine with. That or it would mark but not dry (such as label tape in the lab).

Fine point sharpies are the go-to pen in our lab for marking labels / tape / vial lids. I use G2's normally and they will wipe right off almost all labels. I've never wasted my time trying to write on the labels with a fountain pen but it probably won't hold up too well either.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
Here is a breakdown.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya

RustedChrome posted:

I like the Pilot G2 a lot. For times when I can't use a FP, that was my go-to pen. Until I picked up the Zebra Sarasa Clip in Japan last spring. Those are some of the best cheap gel pens I've ever used. Unfortunately they don't sell them in the US, where I live. They sell a "Sarasa" but it's crap compared to the "Sarasa Clip"

On topic; Has anyone used the Sailor "Jentle" line of inks. I love the Blue-Black but it has this plastic ink reservoir inside that is supposed to make sure you can always draw ink until the last drop is gone. I never had a problem with it until I tried to fill my Platinum 3776 the other day. It seems the fill hole is so high up on the feed I can barely draw any ink. Before I make a mess and waste ink, does anyone know if I can take that reservoir out of the bottle?

I'm pretty sure you can just take the reservoir out, I've heard of FPN members taking it out for their larger nib pens.

Are you rotating your nib so that the nib face is down towards the ink? Sometimes when you do it at an angle it seems to help (like when I have to get the last drops out of an ink sample...)

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Brightman posted:

Fake edit: Looking at yours again, I think the descender from the 'g' above the 20 made it look like a 30. If that means you're throwing in the Con-50, I'd say stick with the Con-20 as it has more capacity, but it's up to you if you just dislike squeeze fillers.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

This is the brush pen that comes with BSB. It's made for doing watercolors, but a ton of fun to put some of your favorite ink in and just play with.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Goulet Pens has this awesome interactive thingy, the Nib Nook! http://www.gouletpens.com/Nib_Nook_s/1114.htm

You can see all the pen lines side by side! Also, the Pilot Metro only comes in the Pilot M size, but, I think it is a very fine line. Like, looking at the nib nook, the Pilot M looks almost the same (to my untrained eyes) as the Lamy EF, so, there's that. Pilot seems to be a lot finer overall.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Aramek posted:

Goulet Pens has this awesome interactive thingy, the Nib Nook! http://www.gouletpens.com/Nib_Nook_s/1114.htm

You can see all the pen lines side by side! Also, the Pilot Metro only comes in the Pilot M size, but, I think it is a very fine line. Like, looking at the nib nook, the Pilot M looks almost the same (to my untrained eyes) as the Lamy EF, so, there's that. Pilot seems to be a lot finer overall.

This is typical of Asian pens in general. European nibs usually write the same thickness as one size up in Asian nibs, though there are obvious exceptions. The Nib Nook is invaluable for comparing lines, but sadly it's only useful for pens the Goulets happen to sell.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
I only got the Zebra because I actually like the zebra rollerballs. And it looked nice.
Seriously the fountain pen is a piece of poo poo.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

cobalt impurity posted:

This is typical of Asian pens in general. European nibs usually write the same thickness as one size up in Asian nibs, though there are obvious exceptions. The Nib Nook is invaluable for comparing lines, but sadly it's only useful for pens the Goulets happen to sell.

Actually if you use the individual drop downs instead of the one that grabs all the nibs for a particular pen there's pens in there they don't sell. Not a lot of them, but they have Sailor 1911's in there for instance. It's pretty helpful, but the selection is still fairly limited. I think it's basically just pens they've been able to get their hands on or maybe ones they reviewed in their blog.

evilneanderthal
Mar 5, 2008

After school we'd all go play in his cave, and every once in a while he would eat one of us. It wasn't until later that I found out that Uncle Caveman was a bear.

evilneanderthal posted:

Will one of these converters fit in this Sheaffer cartridge pen from the 90s?

It turns out: no! Guy on FPN was not spouting lies.

Took the converter to the hardware store to see if they could grind it down a little bit at the wide point to make it fit, but apparently the barrel gets narrower further down anyway. I was able to avoid damaging the pen, thankfully. Guess they were't fooling around when they named it the cartridge pen.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
Is it possible to refill the cartridges with a blunt-tip needle syringe?
I even fill converters with the syringe because I get less ink on my hands that way :v:

You could also search the Pen Repair threads on FPN for cartridge hacks. I seem to remember a couple of threads where they cut the converter in half & cut open a rubber sac (replacement parts from a lever-filler pen). Then they glue the main body of the rubber sac to the very bottom of the converter so it becomes a squeezable cartridge/converter thing. There are only a few glues which will stand up to being next to inks all the time, but I think it was mentioned in the thread which kind you can buy. Superglue and stuff won't work being wet.

evilneanderthal
Mar 5, 2008

After school we'd all go play in his cave, and every once in a while he would eat one of us. It wasn't until later that I found out that Uncle Caveman was a bear.
Apparently the squeeze type converter will fit. Not sure how I overlooked that. Ordered one :10bux: welp.

evilneanderthal
Mar 5, 2008

evilneanderthal posted:

Apparently the squeeze type converter will fit. Not sure how I overlooked that. Ordered one :10bux: welp.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Just ordered a Pilot Metro based on the incredible responses in this thread and how elegant it looks for a great price. I want to see how much into it I'll get, as I hate how bad my handwriting looks with just regular ballpoint.

Unfortunately it won't be here until March 5 :(

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Just bought a lamy safari. I hope it is fun to use!

... Also first time buying a proper fountain pen ink bottle, not a pelikan "drawing ink" thingie. The pelikan ink seems to clog my Inoxcrom, but flows pretty well on my Carioca Stilo.

The lamy? It gets proper ink. Anyone knows of any online ink retailer that ships out of the USA?

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
My hand likes to sweat all over my pen, or anything else I hold in my hand for over 30 seconds. I saw something about using cotton gloves, but do art supply stores carry those?

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Great Horny Toads! posted:

My hand likes to sweat all over my pen, or anything else I hold in my hand for over 30 seconds. I saw something about using cotton gloves, but do art supply stores carry those?

Check the beauty aisles of Walgreens or CVS. They have cotton gloves there for people like my mother-in-law who slather lotion on their hands before going to bed. They're also useful for when you're cleaning silver and want to keep from tarnishing it with the oils on your hands.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"

Ringo Star Get posted:

Just ordered a Pilot Metro based on the incredible responses in this thread and how elegant it looks for a great price. I want to see how much into it I'll get, as I hate how bad my handwriting looks with just regular ballpoint.

Unfortunately it won't be here until March 5 :(

I ordered mine from Amazon on the 4th as well. Estimated delivery was Feb 27th. I just got an e-mail it got pushed up to this Friday. So have hope!

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Audax posted:

I ordered mine from Amazon on the 4th as well. Estimated delivery was Feb 27th. I just got an e-mail it got pushed up to this Friday. So have hope!

What luck, just as I check my email, I get one saying it'll be coming in on the 19th :)

What sort of paper do you write on for fountain pens? Does any just do, or are there ones where it really shines?

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Ringo Star Get posted:

What luck, just as I check my email, I get one saying it'll be coming in on the 19th :)

What sort of paper do you write on for fountain pens? Does any just do, or are there ones where it really shines?

Paper choice is a completely separate aspect of fountain pens. What works well with one may not work at all with another, and it's very dependent on what ink you use, the paper manufacturer, the pen, and whether saturn happens to be aligned with the galactic core or not.

Generally, you want a heavier paper as that usually helps to stop the ink bleeding through to the back. It also helps if you get a relatively smooth textured paper as that guards against feathering, though if its too smooth then some pens wont write on it at all!

I personally use Rhodia paper as its a good mix of affordability and gets good writing performance. I get very minor feathering with some wet pens but overall it's very well behaved.
I've heard recommendations for Oxford paper pads which are very good with regards to bleedthrough, and the higher weight Pukka pads are good too. Black and Red are nice too.

Moleskine used to be well regarded, but now there seems to be differences in quality between batches and some people get colossal feathering and breakdown of the paper surface so I'd steer clear.

I've also heard good things about Clairfontaine too.

If you don't want a paper pad, you can use regular 32lb HP A4 paper.

There isn't a set type of paper any one person will get the most of, so you're best trying something you like and if it's suitable for your pens then stick with it. :)

So, heavier paper is generally better and recycled paper can feather very badly.

Sorry it's not a very conclusive answer, but it's a question with a myriad of answers. My personal recommendation would be Rhodia :)

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
Rhodia is awesome, and I also have HP paper. However, at work I use the Office Max Schoolio quad-ruled composition book and it works just fine with fountain pens. It has a tiny bit of see-through but no bleeding or feathering at all. Fantastic for under $1.

Moleskine really depends. I have the field notes type which did well, but even my Japanese Fs bleed through in the regular Moleskine book :( But that's okay since I use it for gym and I'd rather use a G2 and not get my fountain pens all dirty.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

I ran out of my Rhodia pads today and went to buy more but they were out. Had to get a regular Pukka jotter and it bleeds and feathers so badly with this pen and ink. They were fine before! :negative:

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Just ordered up a Lamy Safari in EF. I went for the charcoal color with the black nib. I can't wait to try it out! I do want to get rid of the blue ink ASAP though. Next purchase is a bottle of black ink. Should I go for Noodler's?

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
Maybe? Noodler's Bulletproof Black will probably serve you well, their Heart of Darkness bottle is larger and comes with a free Platinum Preppy modded for eyedropper filling, but the bottle is an eyedropper one with a narrow neck, so filling other pens with it without a spare inkwell to use is a pain.

quote:

Paper talk.
I have some Clairfontaine pads and some small Moleskine ones, the Clairfontaine does better than the Moleskine on average, but it depends on the pen, ink, Saturn, etc. and usually I'm just using normal notebook paper or printer paper. I don't think it really matters much unless you're using a really wide nib or some special ink. You can get special paper, but then what do you do with that? I don't really know what the hell to do with mine, I generally end up using them to write short stories in with the explicit purpose of emptying out the last bits of ink from my pens. If you need a journal/diary, cool, otherwise stick with whatever you're currently using unless your pen/ink combo ends up being a complete disaster with it.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

JP Money posted:

Just ordered up a Lamy Safari in EF. I went for the charcoal color with the black nib. I can't wait to try it out! I do want to get rid of the blue ink ASAP though. Next purchase is a bottle of black ink. Should I go for Noodler's?

Remember to buy a converter unless the place you ordered it from comes with them.

Man, I dunno what it is - maybe blue ink disposable ballpoint/bic pens in school, but I hate hate hate blue ink. I love a number of shades of blue as colors, but I can't appreciate it in pens these days. Some weird association I guess!

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Fayk posted:

Remember to buy a converter unless the place you ordered it from comes with them.

Man, I dunno what it is - maybe blue ink disposable ballpoint/bic pens in school, but I hate hate hate blue ink. I love a number of shades of blue as colors, but I can't appreciate it in pens these days. Some weird association I guess!

I can only write in black ink. Blue just looks wrong to me and nags at me until I find a proper pen. I'm ordering a converter off ebay now. I don't know of any local places that would have one unfortunately.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I accidentally ended up with a bottle of Baystate Blue (ordered Black, it was in the box for Black) and liked it well enough I just kept it. It was on Amazon, I probably should have sent a heads up that the ink was mixed up but I never got around to it. So that got me all set for bright blue but I'm still working through some blue-black samples and also trying to decide on which flavor of black ink I want to stick with. I'm more interested in having a bunch of shades of ink that I use in cheap pens than in collecting expensive pens, honestly. I like having non-black shades because I often have to write comments on documents sent to me for review (or will comment on my own documents for editing purposes) and it's nice to have something that will stand out.

At work I write on sticky notes, yellow legal pads, and cheap copy paper. I don't think I'd know what to do with nice paper. The absolute worst paper I have written on was a pad of sticky notes with Baystate Blue in a Guanleming 2001. It feathered so badly it looked like I had soaked the paper before writing on it.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Unless you do a massive amount of writing (in which case, expense it), the $5 it costs to buy a nice notebook for your $100+ pen is worth it.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

As far as the pads themselves go, aren't all Rhodia products made with Clairefontaine paper? I know my Webplanner says so.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
Only the Rhodia Webbies use Clairfontaine paper as far as I know. I have some other Rhodia products and the paper is decent, but not in the same league as the Webby.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

I ordered the Rhodia pack that has four different pad sizes so I can see which I want to keep around for when I want more. Also to just experiment and have some fun with different pad sizes. Thanks goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Just want to chime in and say that TWSBI customer service is still really great. My TWSBI mini has a leak, which is something they haven't encountered before, and they've already sent me 2 replacement barrels and now a new nib assembly in order to try and fix the problem. Luckily I haven't had any cracking problems, but I'm sure if I did, they'd gladly send me a replacement part.