Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

stealie72 posted:

That's $221.56 in today money for a pre-order with no defined delivery date.

Only a complete idiot would do something like this in tyool 2023.

I MEAN 2024!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

The big surprise to me is how deep the US was in the war effort, I cannot think of that today to have the majority of the people in your nation share a goal.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
yeah lol we turned as much domestic production capacity to war production as we could possibly get away with. absolutely unthinkable today.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

sharkmafia posted:

Can you all think of a reason why, with the same ink and pen, a notebook would have terrible bleed-through on page 1 and apparent rhodia-level resistance to the same issue about 15 pages later?

I guess there must just be a difference in quality among the pages used in this notebook, but frankly I find it a little bizarre that it could vary this much. At its worst it was making me not use the back of the pages and at its best it's the best paper i've tried (writepads notebook, by the way).

I was thinking that the first page saw a lot of sun, but I was assuming a translucent cover in my head.

It might be the cover anyways! How is the last sheet in the back?

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I've got a notebook from Wal-Mart I use as a journal and the feathering is wildly inconsistent from page to page.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Ordered a customized notebook for my old old car, because the factory service book was full. I couldn't even get another oil change anywhere.

Noodlers BayState Blue out of my Lamy

17 more oil changes, at my rate it's 1 per year, car is 34 years old, 50 should be doable.

Vistaprint has a real nice site for making your own notebooks and other stuff.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

My dad's Saab was an 89 or 90 9000 SPG iirc.

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!
So, Im curious and not sure if this has been asked before, but does anyone have any experience or opinions on the flex nib fountain pens? I see osprey and bluedew as some of the more popular brands but I'm curious if anyone has any experience with this.

Bezoar
May 2, 2007
In my limited experience an opus 88 Jazz with a flex nib has been one of my most dependable performers and incredibly comfortable. It’s not huge on line variation aside from a bit of a painterly press giving fat bold lines, but then I’ve only had experience with the fine flex nib. I really like the glass eyedropper fill mechanism and it being a large pen it’s hard to make a mess while filling it. Their stainless steel nibs are from Jowo I believe, and aren’t a buttery smooth experience like some gold nibs I’ve used, but being able to easily and lightly control how much ink gets dumped on a page really gives me painting vibes.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

The Bluedew and the Osprey pens both use rebadged Zebra G dip pen nibs. These nibs are great for inking or lettering in short bursts, but I wouldn't want to use one for a long writing session. As they're originally dip nibs, they don't have any tipping and can be incredibly scratchy to write with.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I wanted a flex pen for the longest time, tried a bunch of Noodler's but they never held up and were scratchy. I cannot abide scratchiness and I wasn't able to fix them, just made things worse really.

I would like a good flex pen but they're all $$$$ nowadays.

For the longest time I was trying to find a decent old Waterman or something for a cheap price, but that was just something whose time had passed when I came along. The fountain pen scene feels like it gentrified over time. In the beginning you could find lots of pens and cheaply, particularly on ebay and without getting into bidding wars as much. But over time people with lots of money started spending lots on fountain pens which drove up the prices across the board. And more and more people discovered ebay as well and the days of finding deals got increasingly rare.

I think I'll buy another Pilot Metro medium nib to replace the one that broke.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
I really really wanted a flex nib and tried the modern offerings like Pilot's falcon/FA nibs. Eventually I realized that what I really wanted was line variation, and that there were other ways to achieve that. Now I have lots of italic and stub and in-between nibs. Architect grind is my favorite by far. The Pilot FA nib does enough flex for me, I'm not trying to do fancy flex calligraphy.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
I've tried the Noodlers Ahab and Boston Safety, and they do function, but those nibs just aren't a pleasurable experience. I also have a Conklin "Omniflex" (lol) nib, and I'm done. Can't say anything nice about that one . And then there's an old Waterman 52 I have that is on a whole other level, but I can't realistically carry that around.

So, if I really want to just have a hint of line variation and softness and flexiness--the Platinum 14k Soft Fine nib is a sweet spot in my opinion. Not exactly a true flex, but the softness and spring-i-ness and variation is noticeable even with its relatively fine line width.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

The Pelikan m200 steel nibs also allow for a surprising amount of variation despite not being flex. They're also cheap enough (if imported) that I don't feel too bad if I shorten its lifespan a bit

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
i've had bad luck with modern flex nibs. i generally prefer fude nibs for kinda vaguely similar line variation nowadays

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Chip McFuck posted:

The Bluedew and the Osprey pens both use rebadged Zebra G dip pen nibs. These nibs are great for inking or lettering in short bursts, but I wouldn't want to use one for a long writing session. As they're originally dip nibs, they don't have any tipping and can be incredibly scratchy to write with.

Do they swap out easily at least? Dip pen nibs are very much wear items, it would be pretty terrible if they were a pain to get out.

Not that I've tried terribly many steel 'flex' nibs, but they're really more like what would've been called a semiflex back when they were a thing. They are, at least, cheaper to get a hold of than say, pilot's soft nibs (which are quite nice to write with, but also won't vary as much as those steel fuckers).

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Zenostein posted:

Do they swap out easily at least? Dip pen nibs are very much wear items, it would be pretty terrible if they were a pain to get out.

Not that I've tried terribly many steel 'flex' nibs, but they're really more like what would've been called a semiflex back when they were a thing. They are, at least, cheaper to get a hold of than say, pilot's soft nibs (which are quite nice to write with, but also won't vary as much as those steel fuckers).

My Osprey with a zebra g nib came with instructions and some tools to swap them out. It's mildly annoying but it works

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

mikeycp posted:

i've had bad luck with modern flex nibs. i generally prefer fude nibs for kinda vaguely similar line variation nowadays

Fude nibs are cool! I’ve had a lot of fun using the Sailor Hocoro as my cheap gateway into both dip pens and fude nibs. The larger nibs (fude, 2.0) also come with a reservoir feed, so it’s possible to write sentences instead of dipping after every word which I appreciate.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

New pen day. None of them are fountain pens. :mods:

The Pilot is both a ballpoint and a mechanical pencil somehow.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

It was also new pen day for me. My humble little collection has grown at a concerning rate in the last 3 weeks.

I really love the TWSBIs as it turns out. The Prussian blue was the new arrival - I wanted to try out a 1.1mm stub and it’s taking a little getting used to, but I love it. This is how I’ve got em all inked at the moment:

I think the Wayfarer is my favorite ink so far, though my initial impression of the Bow Shock was kinda meh I looked at my test page again this morning and the red shimmer really started to pop after it dried for a while and it looks really cool, so I’ll have to revisit that one.

Finally, just for funsies, this is the project I’ve been loving around with. If you’ve never played or heard of La Mulana, it’s basically an insanely cryptic metroidvania puzzle game that absolutely requires detailed notes about 80% of the world to ever solve it. It’s one of my favorite games ever, and my memory is just dogshit enough that I can play through it again every couple years having forgotten a lot of the puzzles, but each time through I was retaining more and more.

I knew this year was probably the last one I’d really find it satisfying, so I went whole hog and hand wrote notes for every single relevant clue, drew maps of every area, noted all the interesting locations, etc and tried to make it something that really captured the whole journey for me.

The below might be mild spoilers if you’ve never played it, but out of context it likely doesn’t mean a whole lot anyway.

I’ve also been writing my partner silly letters and sending her dumb photos of the cat and various places I end up wandering around while she’s been back home helping to take care of her grandfather. It’s been a really fun and satisfying hobby to pick up, so I’m super glad I stumbled on to this thread and would like to thank you all for posting so many cool resources and poo poo.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Oh yeah the Wayfarer is a lovely ink. I've posted about it ITT before but that blue glitter in an Eco is just fabulous.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
RE: inconsistent paper quality conversation from recently. I've used a lot of Midori notebooks and even they sometimes get the odd page that just won't take ink well. So even notebooks with "nice" paper can't escape the curse. Sometimes the issue is because of my hand resting on a part of the page I haven't written on yet but there's plenty of times that doesn't make sense as an explanation.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.
Bought some sailor ink as I wander around learning about inks. I liked the ink a lot so I bought a sailor fountain pen. It just got here today and I think I’ve got a new fave writing pen.

Was this one: https://a.co/d/6IVpMK9

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I was perusing what Shawn Newton had in stock, saw this Elizabethan in Conway Stewart red glitter acrylic on sale and welp, had to have it

Bezoar
May 2, 2007

howe_sam posted:

I was perusing what Shawn Newton had in stock, saw this Elizabethan in Conway Stewart red glitter acrylic on sale and welp, had to have it

Very pretty! What’s that ink? Nice reds are hard to find in my experience.

Edit: dumb question , sorry. I’ll stop COVID posting. Your penmanship is faultless, ‘‘tis I who is defective.

Bezoar fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 14, 2024

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

What do you mean what ink? It says so right there!
Kobe #55 if you don't want to decipher my chicken scratch

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Monteverde Ruby is one of my favorite reds. It's just a really lovely shade of red that I find myself reaching for over and over again whenever I need one.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I inked my other Newton Pen up with Ruby the other day.
Some other choices
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Hr679_6u8I
From personal experience I can confirm Sailor Irori is a banger, as is the now discontinued(?) Sheaffer Skrip Red.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Sheaffer's in a weird place right now, unfortunately. The company changed hands somewhat recently, and I think it's really messed with their logistics. They launched the Icon pen twice within the past couple years, for some reason?

They also rebranded all of their inks with new names and bottles; doing away with the skrip name. Skrip Red is now Inferno Red, Skrip Blue is now Renegade Blue, and so forth. Still great inks and the new bottles are fantastic.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Bezoar posted:

Very pretty! What’s that ink? Nice reds are hard to find

Pilot iroshizuku tsutsuji is a bright red with a gold sheen on the right paper, it really grew on me.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I got a Delta and a Pilot today! It was a good day.

I'll put up pictures soon

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
I've finally decided to read up on pens, and my partner remembered we already have a fountain pen! It says Schaefer skrip on the ink cartridge, but i was wondering if ink cartridges are universal? I'd like to just grab something affordable to try the pen out first before i make a big investment.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

There are several different cartridge standards, but they're all easy enough to find. Here's a pack of 5 different colors for 10 bucks that should fit your pen.

https://www.amazon.com/Sheaffer-Refills-Multicolor-Fountain-Cartridge/dp/B00PCJ2F6G/

Be careful when sourcing them yourself, because it looks like Sheaffer also sells universal/international style cartridges, which are not the same as the Skrip kind. Skrips are perfectly cylindrical, while International ones are tapered at one end and shorter.

You can post a picture of your pen and cartridge if you want us to verify it.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Ok, heres some pics of the pen. It belongs to my partner, and he said it's about 20 years old, and i believe it was used for calligraphy.

https://imgur.com/a/xAnDlpt

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Neat, it's a Sheaffer No Nonsense! These pens were everywhere back in the 80s and came with a ton of different nib and color options. Fantastic workhorse pens. They're still pretty inexpensive on the used market, so if you like this one, you can try out a bunch of different nibs for not much money.

They take the proprietary skrip cartridges, but the good news is that Sheaffer still makes them, so you shouldn't have any problem finding new ink for it. I'd recommend soaking the section (the part with the nib that the cartridge installs into) overnight in a cup of water to get out any dried ink that might still be in the feed before inserting a new cartridge.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yep, those are nice starter pens. They write smoothly and are well balanced. The cartridge installation system (where you just drop it in and screw it closed, puncturing it in the process) is neat. Should you choose, these pens can also take a converter or you can refill cartridges with a syringe.

I had a teacher in elementary school who fancied himself an Edwardian headmaster (minus the beatings) and he taught everyone to write with a fountain pen -- and I still have my original red NoNonsense from thirty years ago. Plus a couple spares I got somehow, since the school was always full of them.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Is new Delta! Hooray!

This is a Delta "The Journal" Tech&Web, which means it's a cost-down version made for Martemodena. In this case, only a steel nib instead of a Fusion nib (no big loss), and a ruthenium--plated standard clip instead of a roller clip. Lovely modern celluloid body

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

Should you choose, these pens can also take a converter or you can refill cartridges with a syringe.

Would that be this converter? https://sheaffer.com/products/sheaffer-converter-piston

It's not entirely clear if it'll work with my pen, but I'd live to be able to use it with fun inks!

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Elblanco posted:

Would that be this converter? https://sheaffer.com/products/sheaffer-converter-piston

It's not entirely clear if it'll work with my pen, but I'd live to be able to use it with fun inks!

worst case, if you get ahold of a blunt tipped syringe (most of the online pen retailers have suitable ones) you can fill the cartridge you have up with new inks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

SixteenShells posted:

worst case, if you get ahold of a blunt tipped syringe (most of the online pen retailers have suitable ones) you can fill the cartridge you have up with new inks!
I've been doing this with my Al Star for 5-ish years now.