Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...
Does anyone know the actual model#/etc of that particular Hero pen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

cobalt impurity posted:

How am I supposed to spend my hard-earned American Dollars on some cheap piece of crap that doesn't even work? If I'm paying less than $5 for a 3-in-1, it drat well better be a 3-in-1, and be the scratchiest, paper shreddingest thing on the planet. :colbert:

Just look at this fine nib quality!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

That's atrocious. On another note: I'm wanting to get a new nib size for my TWSBI 540. I'm torn between a broad nib and the stub. I want to learn fancy writing and stuff, and love a big wet line. I have the medium now. Can anyone here sway me one direction or the other?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Somewhat Heroic posted:

That's atrocious. On another note: I'm wanting to get a new nib size for my TWSBI 540. I'm torn between a broad nib and the stub. I want to learn fancy writing and stuff, and love a big wet line. I have the medium now. Can anyone here sway me one direction or the other?

I have the giant stub, and it's a whole lot of fun.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I keep a 1.5 stub on my 540 and its incredible fun to play with. I also keep a broad on my vac 700 and that stays my basic go to pen for almost everything. I think you'll love either one, but my vote is definitely on the stub nib.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Speaking of cheap chinese crap, is getting this worth it to gift to friends and family
http://www.dhgate.com/new-10-pcs-hero-616-triple-color-fine-nib/p-ff8080812c87c5b6012c965cf68a614c.html

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
Yes! Those are actually mentioned in the OP. I'd test them out individually before you give them as gifts, but they're fine pens if they work.

Hotbod Handsomeface
Dec 28, 2009
Does anyone have any of the Noodler's flex pens? How are they? Will they write okay without flexing? I understand that they may need some fine tuning. They are just so cheap.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Awesome! Thanks for the replies. I suppose if you're wanting big you may as well go for it! I've got my eye on VAC700 or the new 850, whichever I find will scratch the itch I will invariably have in the near future.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Hotbod Handsomeface posted:

Does anyone have any of the Noodler's flex pens? How are they? Will they write okay without flexing? I understand that they may need some fine tuning. They are just so cheap.

You will have no problems whatsoever with no flex, they write a beautiful fine line. Writing with a lot of flex is where the fine tuning comes in. Any way you slice it they're a great value, surpassed only by the Pilot Metropolitan in my eyes.

Nov 7, 2012
I give terrible advice in E/N and post nothing worth anybody's time.

i might be a social cripple irl

Luisfe posted:

Speaking of cheap chinese crap, is getting this worth it to gift to friends and family
http://www.dhgate.com/new-10-pcs-hero-616-triple-color-fine-nib/p-ff8080812c87c5b6012c965cf68a614c.html

Honestly I'd rather just use a ballpoint, and I'm guessing most people you give them to will feel the same. They just weren't very much fun to write with, but some here like them obviously. Good if you have a lot of inks and want to have a pen for every color.

312 fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 5, 2013

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Anybody have experience with the TWSBI Diamond 540 in bold and stub? I am wondering if for my next nib I should get one or the other.

I have a Namiki Falcon SF, Lamy Safari EF (writes like a fine because Lamy), and my TWSBI Diamond was ground by Mike It Work to a Japanese EF so I think it's time for a larger nib. :)

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

312 posted:

Honestly I'd rather just use a ballpoint, and I'm guessing most people you give them to will feel the same. They just weren't very much fun to write with, but some here like them obviously. Good if you have a lot of inks and want to have a pen for every color.

Hero 616 pens are a real crap-shoot due to their crumby quality control. You can just as easily get a great one as you can one that is basically a nail stuck in an ink tube. The one I got wrote pretty drat well at first, but it has since degraded a bit and is now fairly mediocre to bad.

The plus side is they're so drat cheap you could almost just treat them like disposables.

Reivax
Apr 24, 2008

Brightman posted:

Hero 616 pens are a real crap-shoot due to their crumby quality control. You can just as easily get a great one as you can one that is basically a nail stuck in an ink tube. The one I got wrote pretty drat well at first, but it has since degraded a bit and is now fairly mediocre to bad.

The plus side is they're so drat cheap you could almost just treat them like disposables.

The 616 jumbos from YC Pens and YesPen on eBay have been brilliant, quality wise. I mention specific sellers because apparently there's a roaring trade in knock-off 616s, which is part of the reason people have such contrasting opinions of the pen.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Reivax posted:

The 616 jumbos from YC Pens and YesPen on eBay have been brilliant, quality wise. I mention specific sellers because apparently there's a roaring trade in knock-off 616s, which is part of the reason people have such contrasting opinions of the pen.

So there's factories producing knock-offs of knock-off Parkers? :psyduck:

Has anyone here had any experience with Edison pens? I'm looking to get a custom Herald, and oh god all the combinations of colours is very overwhelming.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Vitamins posted:

So there's factories producing knock-offs of knock-off Parkers? :psyduck:

Has anyone here had any experience with Edison pens? I'm looking to get a custom Herald, and oh god all the combinations of colours is very overwhelming.

I don't but please post in here if you go for it, I've had my eyes on a Hudson for some time now.

On the 616s, I've had much better experiences with the jumbos myself. The regulars are great to leave at work, but I have so much trouble getting a decent fill. The first jumbo I got sucked up almost a whole Goulet ink sample right off the bat.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
I bought a cheapo sheaffer calligraphy set a couple of years ago and fell in love with fountain pens.

It came with 2 nibs that have so far been my favorite. They are labeled F and M. Are these the same as 1.1 and 1.5MM stubs? What's the difference between a stub nib and an italic nib?

I also just bought a really handsome pen while I was in China for super cheap ($15?) It's big and shiny and heavy and I love it, but it doesn't write worth a crap. You can barely see the text on top of the pen in the picture.

Is there a way of fixing it? I already rinsed it out with water, but it produces the same awful results. Or is it just cheap chinese garbage that will never work?

AnimalChin fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 7, 2013

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

AnimalChin posted:

I bought a cheapo sheaffer calligraphy set a couple of years ago and fell in love with fountain pens.

It came with 2 nibs that have so far been my favorite. They are labeled F and M. Are these the same as 1.1 and 1.5MM stubs? What's the difference between a stub nib and an italic nib?

I also just bought a really handsome pen while I was in China for super cheap ($15?) It's big and shiny and heavy and I love it, but it doesn't write worth a crap. You can barely see the text on top of the pen in the picture.

Is there a way of fixing it? I already rinsed it out with water, but it produces the same awful results. Or is it just cheap chinese garbage that will never work?

The F and M stand for Fine and Medium respectively. They are the relative size of the line that the nib produces. This isn't the same as a stub. The F/M nibs have a round footprint thanks to the tipping material, so there is no line width variation depending on writing direction. However a stub is like a normal nib, but it has the writing footprint expanded horizontally, so you get some line variation between moving the pen forwards/backwards and left/right on the paper. An italic is the same concept as a stub, however the line variation is much more significant, so the left/right movement can be almost needle thin as the footprint is different.
There's a good introduction to nib types here: http://www.richardspens.com/?page=ref/nibs/primer.htm

Does that Chinese pen write better if you press a little harder than normal? It may have a case of "baby bottom" which can be fixed by writing with it on some extremely fine abrasive. A brown paper bag sometimes works for this also. It could also have flow issues. You'll want to wash it through with some water with a couple drops of dish soap in it, it works better than just plain water. If you have some ammonia, washing that through in a 10:1 ratio of water to ammonia will help too. Without pulling the feed it's hard to say what's wrong with it, but at the end of the day it's unfortunately quite common for some cheapass Chinese pens just to not work for whatever reason.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Fayk posted:

Does anyone know the actual model#/etc of that particular Hero pen?

The one I posted? It says "Hero 9035" in the cap.

Edit:I already got an Inoxcrom like this, but this one has a goddamn pug, haha.

Luisfe fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 7, 2013

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
You guys see this pen full o' swagger NDT was showing off?
http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-march-6-2013/exclusive---neil-degrasse-tyson-extended-interview-pt--2

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Luisfe posted:

The one I posted? It says "Hero 9035" in the cap.

Edit:I already got an Inoxcrom like this, but this one has a goddamn pug, haha.

Holy poo poo that is the most honest drawing of a pug I think I've ever seen. You can practically hear the little fucker snorting and gagging on its own tongue.

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

So I thought this is pretty neato: http://www.psfk.com/2013/03/vineyard-wine-pen.html

A vineyard attracts potential business partners by sending them samples of wine inside fountain pens rather than bottles. They recipients can use the wine pen to fill out the mailing forms that came with it.

I've always been put off by people licking their pens before writing with it. Until now, that is.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So I'm curious if folks have noticed this or if I'm just surrounded by weirdos.

When folks ask if someone has a pen to borrow (in a meeting, something where they won't walk off with it) I usually have no issue passing a TWSBI or Pilot Metro their way to see a reaction. After that look of, "what the gently caress is this" the user almost always writes with the nib facing down rather than up. Do you folks see this happening as well?

It's just strange to me, I've never thought to write with the nib down as the "proper" or "natural" way of using the pen.

Also, it's a great way to introduce folks to hobby. The reaction I get from the Metro is amazing! Are the other smaller Pilot nibs as smooth, or does the Metro get a little extra help from being a medium rather than a fine? If so, brilliant marketing decision, it's a gateway drug to be sure.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Vitamins posted:

The F and M stand for Fine and Medium respectively. They are the relative size of the line that the nib produces. This isn't the same as a stub. The F/M nibs have a round footprint thanks to the tipping material, so there is no line width variation depending on writing direction. However a stub is like a normal nib, but it has the writing footprint expanded horizontally, so you get some line variation between moving the pen forwards/backwards and left/right on the paper. An italic is the same concept as a stub, however the line variation is much more significant, so the left/right movement can be almost needle thin as the footprint is different.

Are you sure?

quote:

There's a good introduction to nib types here: http://www.richardspens.com/?page=ref/nibs/primer.htm

This is excellent, thank you.

quote:

Does that Chinese pen write better if you press a little harder than normal? It may have a case of "baby bottom" which can be fixed by writing with it on some extremely fine abrasive. A brown paper bag sometimes works for this also. It could also have flow issues. You'll want to wash it through with some water with a couple drops of dish soap in it, it works better than just plain water. If you have some ammonia, washing that through in a 10:1 ratio of water to ammonia will help too. Without pulling the feed it's hard to say what's wrong with it, but at the end of the day it's unfortunately quite common for some cheapass Chinese pens just to not work for whatever reason.

You fixed it! I tried writing with some pressure but it didn't help. I just tried again with a LOT of pressure and it worked great. I reckon I'll find a brown paper bag to see if I can get it writing smoothly. Thanks!

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

AnimalChin posted:

Are you sure?

Ah right, I got confused but the picture helps a lot. They are indeed an italic/stub nib, however without actual markings on the nib I'm not sure if they're equivalent to 1.1mm or 1.5mm, although it is likely that they are, those being the most common italic widths.

I'm glad your pen works! Seems to be just a case of baby bottom then :)
Writing figure-8s over and over with the pen inked on brown paper should help to fix it.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Solkanar512 posted:

So I'm curious if folks have noticed this or if I'm just surrounded by weirdos.

When folks ask if someone has a pen to borrow (in a meeting, something where they won't walk off with it) I usually have no issue passing a TWSBI or Pilot Metro their way to see a reaction. After that look of, "what the gently caress is this" the user almost always writes with the nib facing down rather than up. Do you folks see this happening as well?

It's just strange to me, I've never thought to write with the nib down as the "proper" or "natural" way of using the pen.

Also, it's a great way to introduce folks to hobby. The reaction I get from the Metro is amazing! Are the other smaller Pilot nibs as smooth, or does the Metro get a little extra help from being a medium rather than a fine? If so, brilliant marketing decision, it's a gateway drug to be sure.

I usually have no problem handing my pens to other people, but I need to be more careful with my twsbis. Last time I forgot to mention it was a twist cap and the dude separated the metal and plastic on the cap. He got me a mini because he felt bad though, do everything turned out really well

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.
My boyfriend's mother just gave me a bunch of heavy resume paper. Cotton stuff. What do I do with it? It's pretty nice, but was scratchy to write on when I tried it with my lamy pen. Is it terrible for the pen?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Not for the pen, but it'll likely feather horribly.

Hotbod Handsomeface
Dec 28, 2009
I just bit the bullet and ordered a TWSBI vac700 and 540 combo for $100. I am surprised at how excited I am to get some pens. Now I need new inks!

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.

iostream.h posted:

Not for the pen, but it'll likely feather horribly.

It didn't feather at all, actually. I was just worried because the paper made the pen drag so much that it was too rough and mess up the nib.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

GabrielAisling posted:

It didn't feather at all, actually. I was just worried because the paper made the pen drag so much that it was too rough and mess up the nib.

The most likely thing to happen is you'll get loose fibres from the paper clogging up the nib if you write on it a lot, but you can just pull those out. It shouldn't mess up the nib unless you write with too much pressure and knock the tines out of alignment.

Reivax
Apr 24, 2008

GabrielAisling posted:

If it's got a steel nib, like the Lamy, you shouldn't need to worry about damaging the tines unless you're putting loads of pressure on them, or scribbling away on sandpaper.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Vitamins posted:

I'm glad your pen works! Seems to be just a case of baby bottom then :)
Writing figure-8s over and over with the pen inked on brown paper should help to fix it.

Is it possible to grind/sand down the nib to turn it into a stub? :D

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

AnimalChin posted:

Is it possible to grind/sand down the nib to turn it into a stub? :D

Yeah you can do whatever you want with a nib! Using very fine abrasive pads like Micromesh are really good for shaping nibs progressively, or I'm sure you could use something like a dremel to get something crude. As long as you've got the tools and a nib that you don't mind possibly wrecking then you can definitely try grinding them!

You'd want to start with the cheapest pens you can get as it's pretty likely there'd be a few casualties early on but with practise there are a lot of people out there that can grind some great nibs :)

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Vitamins posted:

Yeah you can do whatever you want with a nib! Using very fine abrasive pads like Micromesh are really good for shaping nibs progressively, or I'm sure you could use something like a dremel to get something crude. As long as you've got the tools and a nib that you don't mind possibly wrecking then you can definitely try grinding them!

You'd want to start with the cheapest pens you can get as it's pretty likely there'd be a few casualties early on but with practise there are a lot of people out there that can grind some great nibs :)

HELL YES I'm going to try turning in my junker chinese pen into the best pen I have.

DeathByDoubleDip
Feb 9, 2009
Anyone mess around with one of these from Jetpens? I currently have a Lamy Safari and a Pilot 78G. Other option is to throw in a bit more money and go with a Pelikan M200.

Was eyeballing the TWSBI's for being in that $30-70 range but I can't get over the looks of that tacky jewel cap.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think you can get converters for the Kaweco Sport, so your ink options might be a bit limited unless you refill empty cartridges.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
That Kaweco can be converted to an eyedropper filler if you're willing to invest in an O-ring and some silicone grease. :getin:

Anavi
Oct 21, 2005

Mirrors and copulation are abominable, for they multiply the number of mankind.
I don't have a Kaweco Sport, but according to FPGeeks, converters are now available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good