Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...
I know some people who prefer Zebra Sarasa/etc gel pens to things like the Pilot G-2.

I have no idea why anyone would use a ballpoint when they can use something like a G2/etc. Ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

JP Money posted:

Just ordered up a Lamy Safari in EF. I went for the charcoal color with the black nib. I can't wait to try it out! I do want to get rid of the blue ink ASAP though. Next purchase is a bottle of black ink. Should I go for Noodler's?

Remember to buy a converter unless the place you ordered it from comes with them.

Man, I dunno what it is - maybe blue ink disposable ballpoint/bic pens in school, but I hate hate hate blue ink. I love a number of shades of blue as colors, but I can't appreciate it in pens these days. Some weird association I guess!

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Is there anything vaguely like the pilot metro for piston fillers -not in shape (I actually hate the cigar shape aesthetic) but in the 'wow this is really decent for the price'?

Preferably something at least as fine as a Lamy F/EF.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

cobalt impurity posted:

If you don't mind having to fiddle with the pen at first to get it right, the Noodler's Konrad, Ahab, and Nib Creaper are all good pens for $14-20. Next up I would recommend is the TWSBI Mini or 580 which won't be out until early March. They're both $50 though, so I don't know if that's out of your price range, but they're amazing pens and fully user-serviceable which I personally love!

Thank you for the suggestions. The noodler's flex pens certainly looked affordable, but it sounded like they were barely/hardly 'fine' (Caveat: I've never used a flex nib, new to FPs in general). That was my big concern.

Am I wrong that it looks like some piston fills need you to disassemble somewhat, like using a converter (but with better capacity), whereas others just can be twisted at the top?

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

I happened to pick up a Lamy Safari/Vista EF clear demonstrator via Amazon (a z-shop, fulfilled by amazon) and I noticed looking at it under bright light, that it looks like there's some bluish tint on some of the feed and maybe around the part (nipple?) that punctures a cartridge. I'd assume that's a sign of usage, or are they tested at the factory, etc? This pen was sold as new.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

The Hebug posted:

You're correct. Most pen manufacturers test their nibs often with a small amount of blueish ink.

Ok, then I'm less worried. I wouldn't be surprised by a test, more surprised by it being evident (not cleaned in some fashion, etc). Thanks!

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Solkanar512 posted:

TWSBI just released more pics of the IROC 850.

This thing can't go on sale soon enough! I hope to see that series expanded to different metallic colors, but for now it's really nice.

Yeah I'd love to see this in a darker sort of slate grey.
Also thanks to everyone mentioning the Lamy / blue ink testing.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Audax posted:

Is it just as simple as swapping it out - or are there "incompatible" nibs out there?

I don't know if there are any reasons it would be ill-advised, but: http://createwritedrink.blogspot.com/2013/01/swapping-nibs-between-pilot-pens-part-2.html

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, I'm waiting for the 4-in-1 model where it excretes sealing wax from a star-shape play-doh fun factory nozzle as well.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Does anyone know the actual model#/etc of that particular Hero pen?

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

The.Big.Dirty.Emu posted:

Does anyone know of any pens with similar aesthetic to the discontinued Rotring 600 fountain pen? I'm close to just grabbing one off ebay, but I figured I'd check and see if anyone knows of anything similar.

Depending how close, the Rotring newton (also discontinued), the Parker Facet (more sides) which is also-also discontinued, and the Levenger L-Tech which is quite clone-ish.

I'd be curious to hear about anything else else that looks similar.

Fayk fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 20, 2013

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

HolySwissCheese posted:

Spent the afternoon at the ren faire outside of Austin, and one of the tents happened to be the guy who runs Scribal Workshop. I ended up buying Mermaid and Siren since he turned out to be a pretty cool guy. He said his biggest, biggest pet peeve is feathering, and his pride is that his inks work really well on all but the very worst paper. I told him I usually use a Lamy on whatever paper I can get at work, and he seemed really empathetic. Pretty cool to meet a guy who actually makes his own ink. $8 per 60ml is also insanely cheap.

I've only seen one of his inks, but his Zhulong definitely behaves way better on cheap moleskine cahier paper than Sheaffer Skrip red (Which ends up looking splotchy and mottled brownish on the cheapo ivory-hued paper) even when both are written with EF/F.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Platypus Farm posted:

edit - actually what are people's experiences ordering direct from TWSBI? I've had a terrible time with HK/Taiwan sellers on ebay and amazon marketplace and the like. Do they get your poo poo to you quick?

Ordered once. Had it in just a few days - shipped to California. I don't recall the 'from' address, but pretty sure it was domestic.