Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Just ordered a Pilot Metro based on the incredible responses in this thread and how elegant it looks for a great price. I want to see how much into it I'll get, as I hate how bad my handwriting looks with just regular ballpoint.

Unfortunately it won't be here until March 5 :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Audax posted:

I ordered mine from Amazon on the 4th as well. Estimated delivery was Feb 27th. I just got an e-mail it got pushed up to this Friday. So have hope!

What luck, just as I check my email, I get one saying it'll be coming in on the 19th :)

What sort of paper do you write on for fountain pens? Does any just do, or are there ones where it really shines?

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

I ordered the Rhodia pack that has four different pad sizes so I can see which I want to keep around for when I want more. Also to just experiment and have some fun with different pad sizes. Thanks goons.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

So I got my Pilot Metro and got it with the ink cartridge that came with it since I don't have a bottle of ink. What's recommended if I just want a standard black ink?

Also, I've realized my pen-holding ability is not right for a fountain pen, it's more for a ballpoint. What are some good practices to not only hold a fountain pen better, but to improve handwriting in general? I've just been practicing over and over on the new Rhodia pads I got.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

I picked up some Rhodia notebooks and a planner to use with a Pilot Metro with a fine nib for my office at work. The Metro came with an ink cartridge but I'm not a big fan of it. Recommendations for a quick-drying ink in black? I'm also going to grab a con-50 for it - love it on my other Metro for my home journal.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

I've gotten into using fountain pens over the past few months - I started off with a Pilot Metro 3 years ago and wrote with it here and there. That was a medium nib and saw that with me being left-handed, was getting into trouble with smearing. So I invested in a fine nib Metro for my office. I don't smear at all, but as a left-hander, it's a challenge to write with a fountain pen.

What are some tips? I usually write hook-handed so that the pen is actually above where I'm writing, rather than below it. Are there any left-handers here that have alternate ideas, or ways to practice with different writing positions?

I've also picked up some Rhodia planners for work and a journal for my notes and such. Now I'm writing letters to friends and family and really having fun. It's been a great conversation piece at my office and with friends - especially with how people believe that texting and emailing can be so impersonal.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

I have a Pilot Metro with a fine nib using Namiki ink (NC-100) cartridges that I use for work at my office. The ink keeps splattering out of the pen when I close the cap and it's all over the nib.

Is this a pen or an ink issue?

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Stub nib for lefties - yeah or nah? Or just overall?

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

I'm in for pen-pallin' around as well. I've written more letters since getting in fountain pens then I've ever written before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Heath posted:

Everybody submitted their profile to Pixelante and she randomized them and gave everybody an anonymous partner.

Is this how it works? I have no idea how to get involved.