Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

duckfarts posted:

Are there any fountain pens that are "travel-proof" or pocket friendly? (read: don't piss ink everywhere inside the cap if carried in a bag or pocket)

I've been using a Pilot Varsity for a bit now and I've not noticed any kind of ink leakage even when I've purposely banged it around on my desk and such.

Not a "true" fountain pen but it writes well (if pretty thick) and they're cheap.

I really want a Lamy Safari with EF tip but I can't justify 30 bucks on a pen right now :(

I also had no idea you could only write maybe 5-10 pages per load of ink. I use Pilot G2 0.38mm pens for all my labwork / writing and I'd wager I could probably fill a notebook using one pen. They last forever and make a nice neat line that I really like. If I could get that kind of fine-line performance from a fountain I'd be very happy minus the consumption issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Don't mean to interrupt the pen chat but does anyone have a Safari for sale before I take the plunge and order one off amazon? If it's charcoal and EF tip I'd be even happier.

I know some people in this and the last thread were unhappy with theirs...

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I see that pen is filled with Noodler Table Breaker black ink :haw:

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

kirtar posted:

I tended to use Uniball 207s and I know that they had trouble marking some surfaces that ballpoints did fine with. That or it would mark but not dry (such as label tape in the lab).

Fine point sharpies are the go-to pen in our lab for marking labels / tape / vial lids. I use G2's normally and they will wipe right off almost all labels. I've never wasted my time trying to write on the labels with a fountain pen but it probably won't hold up too well either.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Just ordered up a Lamy Safari in EF. I went for the charcoal color with the black nib. I can't wait to try it out! I do want to get rid of the blue ink ASAP though. Next purchase is a bottle of black ink. Should I go for Noodler's?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Fayk posted:

Remember to buy a converter unless the place you ordered it from comes with them.

Man, I dunno what it is - maybe blue ink disposable ballpoint/bic pens in school, but I hate hate hate blue ink. I love a number of shades of blue as colors, but I can't appreciate it in pens these days. Some weird association I guess!

I can only write in black ink. Blue just looks wrong to me and nags at me until I find a proper pen. I'm ordering a converter off ebay now. I don't know of any local places that would have one unfortunately.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

It has arrived! I'm not loving the blue but the pen writes so drat well. It has the same scratchy feel as my Pilot G2 0.38mm that I love. I'm very happy with my EF nib size choice.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

GabrielAisling posted:

Why are all the <$30 pens so ugly? Bulky, inelegant plastic bodies everywhere. Is something at least as nice looking as a $3 ballpoint really asking so much? Hell, even the Pilot Varsity I've been using is nicer looking than some of the pens I've seen today.

Personally I like the plastic body of the Safari. It's very clean and simple to me. It's also got a good weight to it. I hate writing with pens that are bulky and very heavy that are made with either dense metal or thick gross colored plastic.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Am I supposed to be able to suck up ink through my Safari through the tip? I bought the converter and noodlers black but I couldn't manage to get more than a tiny bit of ink up through and into the pen. I just broke down and put the converter in the bottle and filled it full.

It feels so good to get rid of the blue ink.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Synastren posted:

You need to immerse the entire nib in the ink, if you want to fill it and the converter. It is certainly possible, though, as I've done it myself (not with a Safari, but with another Lamy pen). I still prefer syringe filling, though.

The entire nib, past the hole, was in the bottle. It still didn't suck in any ink.

Using the converter alone was super clean as ink won't stick to the plastic so I'll just go that route from now on I suppose.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

cobalt impurity posted:

It needs to be completely submerged.

All the way.

Part of the grip needs to be in the ink. You have to use the ink to cover any possible air passages so suction can occur.

It was in the ink all the way up to where the nib ends and meets the body of the pen. Only around 1/5 of the converter was filled with ink. I'm not interested in dunking my pen that deep into the bottle, using the converter works pretty well for me so I'll stick to that... not sure what the deal was with this. I'll give it another shot next time I need to refill it I suppose.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

TopherCStone posted:

I have a handful of vintage Esterbrooks and some others. The reason I don't use them more is that they are inconvenient and messy to fill, and no matter what I do I always get massive ink stains on my hands. I did play with a Namiki Vanishing Point at the Fountain Pen Hospital which was cool though.

You should buy some latex / nitrile gloves if it's that bad...

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

alakath posted:

Are there any recommendations for good non-TWSBI ink pots?

I hate the narrow-necked eyedropper pot that Heart of Darkness comes in and I can never refill without covering myself and my pen in ink, and covering a blotter with ink coming off of the eyedropper. I'd love to transfer some ink into, well, any other bottle.

Do you have the 3oz bottle or is there some other size that they sell?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

You can definitely knock some ink out of the nib if you drop it or something. I've never had problems with my Safari being in my backpack or my pocket but I haven't had it very long to be fair. It's surprising yours is pouring out that much though.

Are you saying your pen is leaking just by sitting around?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Eikre posted:

It's A3, which is theoretically perfect for the version of me who is nine feet tall.

Oh well, I'll just have to punch my own.

Holy gently caress. A3 is huge. I found a website listing the dimensions and it claims that besides the US and Canada that all countries use this as their standard paper size. Do people overseas really write on such huge pieces of paper?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I'm not claiming this is fact or some credible source, it just intrigued me as I've never considered anything other A4 "standard" and have never really thought about other countries with regards to paper size.

http://www.a3papersize.org

"What is A3 Paper

A3 paper is the standard paper size for all countries excluding Canada, the United States of America and some South American countries. A3 paper is exactly twice the size of A4 paper."

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Noodler's HoD looks gray to me sometimes if I'm writing on lovely paper (I always do) but then it dries nice and dark black. I just wish my Safari held more than 2 drops of ink :(

It actually does come in handy writing in notebooks that are used around water and such that drops onto it. I've never seen it smear or run unless the paper is pretty much destroyed. I wish I could use it to write on waxy/glossy labels :( I'm stuck using lovely sharpies in that scenario.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I'd possibly be interested in the Tsuki-yo depending on price.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

It looks like 1500JPY to USD is 15 bucks. I'd absolutely take a bottle if they're only that much. That's like half what I see other places.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

You're allowed 3oz which is almost 90mL. The bottles I looked up were only 50mL so they should be ok.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

kim jong-illin posted:

Anyone have any experience using Noodler's bulletproof Catfish Black in a Lamy Safari?

I've been using it for a few weeks now and my pen's suddenly gummed up. Washed it out with warm water and there was a hell of a lot of sediment in the bowl but it was still no better afterwards. Left the italic nib and the feed sitting in a bowl of alcohol to try and loosen up whatever's blocking it. The ink's labelled as being suitable for all pens and it's not the blue one that's known to dissolve Lamys. Previous ink in the pen was Pelikan Eidelstein and I washed it thoroughly before changing inks so I doubt it's a result of ink mixing.

Did you try diluting out some ammonia and washing with that?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Somehow it's taken me months to realize that I bought Noodler's Black and not HoD. After reading reviews it seems there's not much difference and the black is nearly as black (or even darker in some cases) as the HoD. Guess I saved a few bucks.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Even with an EF nib my Safari uses its ink supply quite fast. I can only write a few pages max before I see a noticeable loss of ink.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I'm not saying that I only get 4 or 5 pages or something. I'm just saying that it seems to run out very quick and often after I write 2 or 3 pages I start to notice how much ink has been used up.

I don't mind refilling it as it's quick and very easy it's just kind of annoying that it holds so little. If you look at the converter the red handle takes up way too much room and it doesn't even make it to the end of the pen body. They could easily have it hold 50% more ink by shortening the handle and extending the actual reservoir. I guess it's a good excuse to keep fresh ink in your pen though which is probably good.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I'm definitely interested in the samples from Goulet. $1.25 for noodlers samples and 2.50 for Iroshizuku has me pretty tempted to drop 10 or 15 dollars on some new inks to try out. I'm not really a fan of writing with blue ink but I'm interested in some dark blues / blue-blacks as well as a nice green color. Hopefully shipping isn't crazy as I haven't looked into it that far yet.

E: Looks like only 4 bucks for a sampler pack shipped here. That's pretty reasonable.

Baller Witness Bro fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jun 27, 2013

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Kessel posted:

Hurf durf http://inkofmefondly.blogspot.jp/2013/07/new-release-hero-summer-safari-fountain.html

Note: it's called the Hero Summer Safari because what is copyright infringement????

I would like to buy one and try it out. If nothing else they claim to have copied the converter which might mean a flood of cheap ones are coming instead of paying 6 bucks or whatever for one for a 20 dollar pen.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

The Varsity pens put out a ridiculous amount of ink so it's probably your technique. Are you writing with the ball part of the tip down towards the paper (so that you can see the writing on the flat part of the nib)?

You're probably just lifting too soon. I don't even like to use my varsity now that I've moved on to an extra fine tipped Safari. They feel like they're pouring ink onto the page but they do write very, very smoothly. You can turn the pen over so that you're writing "incorrectly" and it puts out a lot finer line. This is bad news on more expensive pens with nibs made of more easily bent material but you'll be alright with the varsity.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Just got in a sample of Tsuki Yo. I really like this enough that I might consider writing with a blue ink more often. It's a lot thinner in consistency than the Noodler's black I usually use which is a bit offputting at first.

I picked up the Noodler's sample pack from Goulet as well. The Apache Sunset and Black Swan in Australian Roses both look really interesting so I'm excited to try those out. The Black Swan in particular looks really interesting and I think I might like that.

I'm also resisting the temptation to use the Baystate Blue in fear that it will gently caress things up for my Safari :(

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

My roommate is from Japan so when he goes home at christmas I'm definitely forcing him into getting me several bottles of Iroshizuku I think. I shouldn't have made it sound like I was underwhelmed with the Tsuki-yo - it's a beautiful ink and I really love the darker notes in it. I think it would have a more dramatic shift in color with a broader nib but it still looks very nice as it is.

(On this note, who was the goon who offered to buy a bunch of pilot inks? Did that ever pan out?)

The next round of ink through my pen will definitely be the Black Swan. It looks like a gorgeous dark rose color.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I might suggest either Noodler's Black or Heart of Darkness if you're trying for a black ink from them instead of the Bad blacl / polar black. I've been loving my Pilot Tsuki-yo which would be a nice blue-black for you as well. I do wish I'd have picked up a sample of Tiananmen though.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Demon_Corsair posted:

Got to play with a Lami Safari at a local stationary store, and I don't know if it was just me (probably) but it didn't flow well at all for me.

Also they charge $25 for a metropolitan, so even with the super high shipping from goulet is a way better option.

What size nib? Even my EF flows well enough but sometimes if I write too fast it'll skip depending on the ink I'm using. I'll probably try a fine out if I get another one.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

With a cheapie steel nibbed pen I seriously doubt pushing a bit is going to hurt it. It's not a good habit if you get a really nice pen.

By v-pen do you mean a Varsity? I have no idea in what world that pen wouldn't flow enough ink. It's like writing with a firehose when I use mine.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

You mean inside the pen? That's the feed. Ink flows in there from the reservoir up top.

I used to turn my varsity over and write with the opposite side of the nib to write with a finer line and it worked fine. It flowed well then too.

Did the other pens in the pack skip and hop like the one you're using?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Yeah, after looking at that pic that looks the same as a Varsity.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

You aren't locked into using "nice" paper with a fountain pen. Especially with inexpensive pens you don't have to go crazy buying super smooth heavyweight paper. Cheap paper like you find in generic notebooks will absorb ink quickly, spread out ("feather") and dry almost instantly. To note this difference quickly grab a sheet of A4 computer paper and notice it probably takes a few more seconds to dry and is much smoother when you write on it.

E: You should spend some time on here:

http://www.gouletpens.com/Fountain_of_Knowledge_s/1130.htm

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

A friend bought a Cross C Series pen. The nib is huge and it's weighted pretty heavy but it seems to write nice. I'd still prefer my Lamy though. I really am a heathen I think.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

My EF safari is fine when using various inks. You can try cleaning out the nib to make sure there isn't some buildup in there blocking ink flow.

Someone mentioned brass sheets in here before for cleaning the nib out manually. I usually make up a solution of ammonia in water to clean out the old ink in mine and then flush water through after that. Should help break up ink that's sticking around.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

milpreve posted:

Is there any way to fix nib creep? Or should I just never put Noodler's Upper Ganges Blue in my Metro ever again?

Also, in my new Plumix the feed and nib come out really easily, but I still haven't gotten the feed out of my Metro. It's amazing how much more ink cleaned out. However, there is a lot of ink inside the section just before the nib and feed exit the pen. Is this normal? I can attach a photo later if need be.

Each Noodler's ink I've tried (X feather, HOD, Black, 54th) have all had nib creep on my Safari nib. I tried Tsuki-Yo and had zero nib creep even when dropping the pen. I've just learned to accept it unfortunately as it takes way too long trying to perfectly wipe off the excess ink without drawing more out all to do it again a day later.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

droneboat609 posted:

Anyone here have experience with the Lamey line of pens? ive been looking at some of their fountain pens and they seem like a nice model I could use every day at work and not worry about loosing it/breaking, plus they seem to have nice clips on them.

Sure! I started out with a Pilot Varsity disposable fountain pen and then moved on to a Lamy Safari. I love the pen. It writes very well and is very durable. You can get them for $20-25 easily off Amazon or something.

I basically never use the clip but it's pretty sturdy. Clips pretty securely onto a pocket or front of a notebook.

I'd recommend you go for either a medium or fine nib. My extra fine nib can be kind of a pain if you're drawing lines or something as it can run out of ink if you don't go slow. I really prefer thin lines though so YMMV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Is the safari a large pen? I don't think it is when you compare it to, well, almost any other pen. I dislike most fountain pens because they're so wide and bulbous that it feels awkward writing with it. The Safari triangle grip keeps my writing consistent and it's pretty slim so I don't feel like I'm writing with a tree branch.