Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I guess I never noticed that it's a "long" pen but that article actually shows me that it is. I still stand by other pens being bulkier width-wise but you're totally right in that it's longer than most pens. I don't post my cap so maybe that's why I never really noticed.

I will 100% back up the converter being too small really. The attached pic shows how much space they wasted in this stupid design. They could very, very easily double the ink capacity for the Safari by just making the red portion of the converter much smaller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

cobalt impurity posted:

The red portion is what holds the rest of the piston when you screw it in. It pretty much fills the space exactly when the converter is full. They could improve the design a little, but for however much you increase the ink reservoir, you also have to lengthen the piston by just as much. :eng101:

I understand your point - that was a bad way to describe the whole system on my part. I think they could definitely come up with something to make it hold more ink but :effort:. There's about half a centimeter of dead space in there that they could work with but I realize this converter is used and several pens and it holds a fair amount of ink enough that updates probably won't ever happen.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Reivax posted:

The new Hero knock off Lamy Safaris are here: Hero 359
I'm honestly curious how well they'll work compared to their Lamy counterparts.

drat that's an identical ripoff. It does come with a converter so it's about 10-12 bucks cheaper than the real deal if you factor in converter price.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Looks like a bunch of ink dried on the threads. Twist harder!

Note: Not responsible for breakage

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

angerbeet posted:

Essentially.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KcW1IlaxFs

I don't want to go around dipping all my papers etc. in bleach.

If it's just an oxidation reaction on the ink you should try mixing a drop with bleach to see if it will pre-color it for you.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I doubt it takes that much to oxidize it. Try it out in a little vial first. We're talking like a few microliters of bleach for a large drop I bet. That's most likely not going to wreck your pen. Household bleach is only like 3% sodium hypochlorite anyways.

I'd be interested in testing how sensitive Noodlers inks are to that kind of tampering.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Dipping the whole pen in gets you a bit more ink but I find using the converter only to be a LOT cleaner as ink wipes right off of it. I can never seem to get every bit of ink off my Safari when trying to fill it by dipping the pen into the bottle and that annoys me.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Giving the converter a twist or two should solve that. I've never had that be an issue for me. Doubly so if you're just refilling it with the same ink that's already in there - it's likely the feed is still saturated.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I bought like 5 or 6 samples of ink when I got my Safari and they've been doing a great job sitting in my desk unused. I'm the worst, I just like regular noodler's black :(

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

grack posted:

$0.99 Jinhao X450s are back - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Students-Co...oAAAOSwDNdVsaCI

Also why the gently caress do people never clean out their pens. Got that 45 in today and it was drat near cemented shut.

What is this bullshit?

E: Not sure why that's table-breaking and can't edit it now. My b. Failure on both accounts.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Got my $1 Jinhao X450 in. I'm happy with the pen itself but it seems like the nib is super dry even after flushing with an ammonia solution to clean it out. Tried adjusting the nib slightly. What am I missing? My Lamy just worked well out of the box (and it's an EF so it naturally puts out less ink).

I was kind of shocked as I figured this thing would be spewing ink out.

e: Now it is pouring ink at times and writing pale at others. I reseated the nib on the feed during cleaning. Is it simply misaligned? I centered the end of the feed on the center line of tines on the nib..

Baller Witness Bro fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 12, 2015

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

From my very limited research it looks like folks like the 750's more than this 450 anyhow. I'll just pick another up for as cheap as they are. I'm pretty happy with the pen aesthetics anyway.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

grack posted:

The last couple of converters I've gotten in Jinhao pens have been more or less non-functional. Try using a cartridge and see if it helps.

What qualifies as nonfunctional? It fits in tightly, draws up ink well, etc.

I'll try the converter from my safari I guess? Dunno if they're interchangeable.

E: Hmm. On a whim I just tried inking the pen up with a small sample of Heart of Darkness I have and it writes perfectly fine without even cleaning the old ink out. I guess regular Noodler's black is too thin? I didn't like heart of darkness in my EF Lamy as it dried to a thick, varnishy sheen on the nib but maybe that's a benefit here.

Baller Witness Bro fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 13, 2015

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I ordered a Jinhao 599 Lamy knockoff to get a friend introduced to fountain pens and the drat thing writes perfectly. :negative:

Hopefully the 750 I ordered writes this well. 2 dollar chinese pens are an addiction I don't mind feeding TBH.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

tater_salad posted:

looks like I need another 599 mine writes like poo poo.. I wonder if it's the converter.

Try different inks, it worked for me. Heart of darkness writes great in my 450 but dried out too quickly in my Safari. Noodler's black works great in both the real and knockoff Lamy.

Whoever said to buy 2 Jinhao's was pretty much dead on.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

This is like the steampunk pen future. Pen-punk? Is that a thing? I want a steam powered fountain pen with visible gears and a telescope on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Got my Jinhao 750 in recently. This thing writes beautifully and puts down a ton of ink. I need to ink this up with something shaded as I think it'd do a nice job showing off color depth. Noodler's black get firehosed out but I'm kind of digging it.