Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Cobalt, loving brillant!

One thing to add to your pen list: the Pilot Metropolitan. A complete package perfect as a first pen for $15. Also, Amazon has a great selection of pens, and Overstock has pens on occasion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7F5Vbz1nTg

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jan 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

duckfarts posted:

Oh yeah, in terms of bleedy inky mess problems, one thing I'm pretty sure of that you may need to be aware of is that fountain pens may not fly well, as in if you go on a plane, you may want to make sure nib side is facing up or the pressure changes may cause the ink to bubble out like they did for one of those mini disposable stubby fountain pens I forget the brand and model of.

Non-edit: after some googlin', word says you should keep them in a plastic bag nib-up, and either completely full or completely empty and FFS don't use them on the plane.

These pressure issues can happen on the ground as well. If you have a pen that is cold and nearly empty, the heat from your hand can push additional ink out of the nib. If you notice your nib is unusually wet, that can mean it's time to refill.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

camino posted:

The one thing I wanted to throw in on the last thread is about breaking TWSBI's. It seems to me that aside from the cap, they don't crack until you disassemble and reassemble them. I've seen a lot of people comment on this. With my next TWSBI, I'm not going to take it apart unless absolutely necessary.

The only time mine have cracked were in my pocket or being dropped on the floor.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So does anyone know how to remove the nib and feed of a Sheaffer 300? I have this gorgeous pen here:

And despite sending it back to have the medium nib changed out for a fine, I'm having really inconsistent ink flow. The pen writes well if I'm going for a while, but at times it will just stop (as if there's a bubble in the converter) and I have to shake it to get the flow going again. I've tried the following:

Used multiple inks - Noodler's Eel, BSB, Private Reserve Naples Blue.
Flushed multiple times - Water, water is a bit of dish soap, water with a bit of ammonia and dish soap. The last one worked really well, but maybe I should soak it over night?

So Yeah, I'm thinking I need to take it apart and look at the feed, but the thing won't twist or pull off. I'm not sure how the assembly works, so if anyone out there has any advice I'd love to hear it. The pen looks too nice to stay in my box unused. :(

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 31, 2013

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

KKKLIP ART posted:

As a lefty who side writes with my hand dragging where my freshly written text is, what type of ink would you suggest? I have a Lamy Safari with the medium nib and am going to get the cartridge for it, but I don't like the idea of smearing ink all over my hands.

I know you said cartridge, but there are quick drying bottle inks, Noodler's has some but I can't think of which ones they are.

The other thing you can try is either going to a finer nib, or trying a left handed nib, since Lamy makes those as well. I'm not sure how well they work, but it should make the process more comfortable.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Welsper posted:

Red-Brown is where it's at.

Noodlers Tiananmen and Diamine OxBlood are :black101: as hell.

Tiananmen is awesome. It shades down to a dark blood red on the wider nibs.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Brightman posted:

Even cheaper ink: Private Reserve. $8.80 for 50ml, the color selection is different, the colors don't match the color of the labels very well, and I haven't had any personal experience with the ink myself but have heard good things.

Ugh, gently caress Private Reserve. I bought a bottle of Naples Blue, a really nice blue. The drat ink would smear days after writing just because I put my hand on it. Maybe folks have better luck with it, but ugh.

And yeah, the Noodler's dude is kinda crazy, but charming crazy. He'll be like, "gently caress the Fed! I'll make an ink to show them how pissed off I am!" So at least we get nice ink out of the deal.

I really need to try out Iroshizuku at some point. How permanent is that stuff?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Brightman posted:

I did some tests with Iroshizuku ink in regards to water, left it in the sink overnight and it faded, but was still there. I've heard probably half and half good/bad stuff about Private Reserve, but with any ink company there's some crappy inks, also paper/pen/nib combinations to take into account and it's all very nebulous in the long run.

Fake edit: Found the water test:

That ink is usually more green-blue than blue, so yeah, it fades a decent bit. Of course HoD is basically unmovable.

Oh, that's great! I'll have to add some to my xmas/birthday list or something and give them a shot.

kirtar posted:

Iroshizuku is not permanent if you're looking for waterproof or really anything proof. They are inks designed specifically for color and good behavior permanence be damned.

I'm just looking for something that won't bleed off of the paper and on to my hand days later. I don't need anything truly permanent.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So I've really been wondering something about converting pens to eyedroppers.

I keep hearing that you can't convert pens that are metal because there is a chemical reaction that happens with the ink and everything goes to poo poo. But I keep reading different things, and I don't know which is correct.

1. No ink in metal pens at all.
2. No ink in pens that have more than one type of metal.

What about pens made from a non-reactive metal, say anodized aluminum? What if the ink itself is of a neutral pH? If there is a reaction, are we talking about something that happens over days/weeks/months/years or what?

Really what I'm trying to say is that the Pilot Metro would be a loving amazing eyedropper but I'm wondering what the risk is. Any clue as to the component make up of the pen? If you pull out the converter, it's just plastic and anodized aluminum, right?

EDIT: I mean come on, the nib is metal after all...

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 15, 2013

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

jomiel posted:

You might post in the Fountain Pen Network, there are definitely people who are interested in converting to eyedropper so you might receive more info.

I have, and I'll post what I find out here.

Thanks for the input so far!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

kirtar posted:

I'm fairly certain at least the second one may be an issue since it has to do with galvanic corrosion. I don't know what kind of stuff goes into inks, but if there are any electrolytes, galvanic corrosion could become an issue. I'd have to look up some of the electrochemical potentials to really give an answer of how big of a deal it is.

Yeah, galvanic corrosion is certainly an issue, so I'll have to do some research on the materials used in the pen. However, I can't imagine that by itself anodized aluminum is terribly prone to corrosion. If it were, wouldn't you see the results from heavy use on the outside of the barrel?

As an aside, if there is a galvanic reaction, I should be able to fill the pen with salt water, hook electrodes to the two differing metal parts and be able to measure a non-zero electrical charge.

EDIT: I'm a big dummy for posting from work. I forgot about the second metal piece at the top where the nib/feed is.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 16, 2013

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

iostream.h posted:

I have the Aventura which SHOULD be the same one, it looks and feels pretty cheap and isn't a particularly good value but it writes smoothly and I haven't had any issues out if it.

Yeah, that was my first pen. It was cool having never used a fountain pen before, but once I got my 540 I never touched it again. Ugh, you could buy two Metros for that Cross piece of crap. :(

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So TWSBI is showing off final assembly versions of their Diamond 850:

They're having folks vote on which one they like better on the facebook page, though the one on the right is winning by a landslide. Though I'd totally buy either one, the black version was nice looking as well. Either way, this pen can't come out soon enough.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

404notfound posted:

TWSBI just put up a picture of the 580, the second major revision of their main pen:

Not sure if I like the metal ring around the piston knob now, though it's probably there to mitigate some of the barrel cracking issues that users have had. Other than that, it doesn't look like there's much different, so there's probably not any reason to upgrade if you already have a 530/540.

It's a really nice evolution from the 530 and the 540, but like others here have said, my money is waiting for the 850.

Brightman posted:

Personally I'm looking forward to the 850, really curious how that'll end up and how it'll perform. Also still trying to hold off on getting a Vac700.

Don't resist, I love that giant nib. And filling it is so much fun!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
TWSBI just released more pics of the IROC 850.

This thing can't go on sale soon enough! I hope to see that series expanded to different metallic colors, but for now it's really nice.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Fayk posted:

Yeah I'd love to see this in a darker sort of slate grey.
Also thanks to everyone mentioning the Lamy / blue ink testing.

I think someone here or on FPN mentioned the idea of anodized titanium. That dark metalis brown would look great. My only disappointment is that the brushed metal didn't work out.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

uXs posted:

That does look pretty sweet. Any other reason this seems to be so anticipated?

I'm guessing because pictures have been released of this thing for a year or so and a metal, piston fill pen in the price range that mere mortals can afford gets folks hot and bothered. Prices haven't been finalized, but Goulet Pens reported a price around $200.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

iostream.h posted:

They seem like a good company that makes nice pens.

Yeah, this is a huge part of it. The TWSBI folks makes nice pens that are an incredible value and make themselves available to the community.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

uXs posted:

Neat. Makes me interested in getting one. But it seems rather a lot of money, especially for a pen that - as far as I know? - I can only order online and as such can't test before I buy. :/

I'm left-handed so getting one that has just the right amout of flow is rather important.

Pen prices go way over the map to be honest. I mean yeah, if I end up buying one it will be the most expensive one in my collection by a large margin, but there are pens that retail for thousands.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Somewhat Heroic posted:

That's atrocious. On another note: I'm wanting to get a new nib size for my TWSBI 540. I'm torn between a broad nib and the stub. I want to learn fancy writing and stuff, and love a big wet line. I have the medium now. Can anyone here sway me one direction or the other?

I have the giant stub, and it's a whole lot of fun.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So I'm curious if folks have noticed this or if I'm just surrounded by weirdos.

When folks ask if someone has a pen to borrow (in a meeting, something where they won't walk off with it) I usually have no issue passing a TWSBI or Pilot Metro their way to see a reaction. After that look of, "what the gently caress is this" the user almost always writes with the nib facing down rather than up. Do you folks see this happening as well?

It's just strange to me, I've never thought to write with the nib down as the "proper" or "natural" way of using the pen.

Also, it's a great way to introduce folks to hobby. The reaction I get from the Metro is amazing! Are the other smaller Pilot nibs as smooth, or does the Metro get a little extra help from being a medium rather than a fine? If so, brilliant marketing decision, it's a gateway drug to be sure.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Vitamins posted:

I don't get the Noodlers pen hype either. Sure some of his inks are great, but why would anyone bother buying a $20 pen that may or may not work rather than a more expensive on that's almost guaranteed to work? They seem pretty poor quality for what they are, but I guess trying to make an affordable flex pen is pretty cool.

Ugh, I'm so glad I'm not the only one that feels this way. I still remember my Ahab *and* Konrad dumping ink all over me while uncapping them. His inks are still loving awesome though.

If you want a great cheap pen, buy a Metro.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

HolySwissCheese posted:

In my quest for a dry-writing blue black that is cheap-paper friendly but has plenty of shading, I had finally settled on Pelikan Blue-Black. However, it turns out that it can no longer be imported to the US, and also it is partly an iron-gall ink, both of which were kind if a turnoff.

In order to replicate Pelikan Blue-Black, I actually ordered a bottle of Pelikan Royal Blue, a bottle of Pelikan Brilliant Black, some syringes, and some inkwells. Hopefully, I can start mixing my own blue-black. Any advice goons?

Mix a small about of each into a clear container, shake it up and leave it alone for a few days. See if it separates or worse solidifies. Once it's passed that test you know it's safe for your pens.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Somewhat Heroic posted:

That is the second best thread. I found it years ago and it changed me! Seriously, anyone not wet shaving needs to start. As for now, I find I can't use so many pens at a time so I find an interest in inks even more. My new pilot Kon-Peki has been so much fun to write with. We (wife and I) are building a home right now so I have plenty of opportunity to bust out my 540 and sign lots of stuff. Everyone has commented on it :) I'm such an attention seeking whore

I do the same thing! Also, I gave all of my groomsmen 540s, so they could sign the witness paperwork as well. :D

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Thanks for those links, that is some incredible work!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Yoshi Jjang posted:

I just got my TWSBI Diamond 580 with 1.1 nib in the mail. I was excited to use it, but after the next day, it felt all scratchy against the paper and sometimes refuses to draw ink on some strokes. I don't see any obstruction in the nib. Everything should still be brand new. What could be happening? I hope I didn't do anything wrong. :ohdear:

I found with my stub I needed to be careful that I didn't press too hard splitting the tines. Once I corrected for that, everything was fine.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Synastren posted:

I was going to ask if there were any sort of facilitation for filling with the TWSBI bottles. I was considering picking up a bottle to mix a couple of inks (a bulletproof color + bulletproof black) together, and to keep it at the office... but if there is a real benefit to having one, I'll definitely pick one up.

If you unscrew the nib on a 5**/Mini series TWSBI (or stick a standard converter on the top) it plugs into the top of the inkwell, and you can completely fill your pen really cleanly.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Great Horny Toads! posted:

Anyway, what common inks are good for just regular lined paper?

So shiny...

Noodler's is my go-to ink, but it's certainly not the only one.

I tried some Private Reserve, and holy poo poo it was terrible. I grabbed "Naples Blue" and it ran like crazy. I could place my hand on a dry sheet of notes and the ink would transfer all over. Ugh, it was such a nice color too.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Which TWSBI?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

HolySwissCheese posted:

TWSBI Vac 700 can hold something like 2.2ml of ink, about four times what a Lamy converter holds.

If not that, a TWSBI 580. Those hold 1.95mL.

Join the cult. :getin:

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Zenostein posted:

Don't the leaks ordinarily happen only when there's air in the piston/cartridge/converter? Anecdotally, I flew with a Parker 45, and I had a layover, so I wrote with it while killing time. Even after the 2d flight, it didn't leak. However, I believe the general wisdom is don't fly with a pen that has air in the filler.

It's the latter. If you take a cold piston filler that's a third full of ink and start writing with it, the expanding air from your hand will force ink out of the pen. Keep the air out, and you're cool.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Man, I keep checking every antique store I drive by - and yes, if I'm on a road trip I'll stop and ask - and no one has ever had any fountain pens. The owners always give me a funny look and say "nope".

Where do folks get their older pens? eBay? Do my antique shops just suck?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

His Divine Shadow posted:

I have a buncha inks already though, I really like Noodler's Bay State Blue, so insanely nice but ack it discolors everything you use it in and beware spilling it.

Lets see I have:
-Noodlers Bay State Blue
-Noodlers Midnight blue
-Noodlers Blue Eel (thought it would be slippery and super easy to write, but BBS does it better)
-Noodler's X-Feather black

Mostly noodlers, I also have some Sheaffer Skrip in various colors. I've found that I put ink in a pen, then use it an put it away and next time (can be weeks) it's all dried up again. So I think I'd do better with a smaller amount of pens that I change the ink more often in. Maybe just one or two.

I find the Eel series is really nice in piston-pens every now and again. You can't beat the color of BSB though, drat.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Just a heads up, but TWSBI is offering a Vac 700 (any color/nib size) and the Vac 20 inkwell for $85 + shipping. You're basically getting the inkwell for $5.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Hey guys, is being cleared to sign FAA paperwork a good enough excuse to buy a new pen? I'm looking for some unbiased opinions here. ;)

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

cobalt impurity posted:

Speaking of which, I just got a Metropolitan from the Goulets!

This thing is amazingly smooth. It blows my old Vista completely away and it even gives the 540 some competition. This should definitely be the starter pen, especially since you get a cartridge and a converter with it all for under :20bux:! I'll give a more thorough review once I've had a week to try it out at work.

Seriously, those Metros are loving amazing. I have two that I told my wife I bought "for work". Also, given the price and they fact they come in a decent box, they'd make great gifts - kind of like handing out free crack or something.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

gwrtheyrn posted:

Have you noticed that they seem to dry out faster than other pens? The one I has problems starting up again if I don't use it for more than a couple hours (capped). I've never had this problem with anything else except my VP which I think probably has nib problems since it doesn't like to lay down ink in certain directions.

Whoa, I have never, ever had this problem. DO they normally have ink flow issues, even after they start writing? What kind of inks do you use? Have you ever removed the nib and feed for a deep cleaning?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Synastren posted:

I was more curious as to the "how" to flush that particular type of pen. I've got a Lamy around here somewhere, so that was pretty straightforward. The Vac has a different filling mechanism than anything I'm used to, so it's not like I can use the plunger to pull in and eject water. :ohdear:

Yes you can, it's just that the plunger works in the opposite direction you think it should.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Brightman posted:

Got my Vac 700 and ink bottle today. It came with an extra EF nib taped to the side of the pen's box for some reason...so my plan to get the nib ground down to some weird oblique thing seems to be nigh fool-proof now.

Uh, that extra nib is most likely the new nib that Vac 700s now come with. Try both nibs first and see if there's a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Brightman posted:

Yeah I'm still not sure about that, like I'm not sure if I'm unscrewing it enough or what. It'll just dry up entirely if it's left closed though? Guess I could just write a bunch and then switch the nibs then no problem. Although I had tried to unscrew the grip when I first got it to get a better look at the nib that's in there (thought the feeds might've been different) but it didn't seem to wanna budge.

It's a tough one to remove, I had to wrap paper towel around the nib to remove it for cleaning. I will say that my nib was especially dray, and I had to do a good bit of bending to get it to write properly. It's still a bit on the dry side to be honest, but I might just break down and buy a new nib for it the next time I buy ink.