Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Nask26 posted:

My initial plan was to get a Safari but my budget changed a little bit. Do you think getting a Twsbi 580 is a good first pen? I planned on getting the inkwell for it also.

gently caress yes it's a good first pen. The inkwell is just gravy as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

delpheye posted:

Is there a resource out there for learning about said adjustments? I have no problem tinkering with a thing. In fact, I like it. I build everything I can from parts, so having to learn about the parts of the pen and how they interact with each other is ok with me.

The preppy looks like a solid choice, but I'm after something a little more refined, if that's really the right word. I'm sort of trying to adopt a buy it for life lifestyle but that has it's own pitfalls so I figure 8 bux for a pen is good enough to figure out the whole fountain pen thing.

Trigger pulled!

If you like the idea of taking everything apart and it's in your budget, a TWSBI Vac 700 or Diamond 580 would also be great choices.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Has anyone tried the new Goulet nibs? I grabbed a Fine chrome/gold one to replace the nib on my first generation TWSBI Vac 700. It looks really nice with the blue of the pen, and is smooth as butter, but I found it has more of the width of a medium. I've also noticed a bit of nib creep from the base of the nib. I'm currently using Bad Belted Kingfisher.

Any thoughts on this? Are the nibs unusually wide, or is the fit of the nib not quite there and that explains the creep and excess ink flow?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

DurianGray posted:

I've been using one of the Fine, two-tone Goulet nibs, too. I did notice that the line width was wider than I was expecting from a Fine nib at least compared to one of the unflexed Noodler's nibs, which is the bulk of my prior experience. I had Blue Nose Bear in it which has been writing pretty wet (for me anyway) and when I replaced it with Diamine Oxblood (which seems like kind a of a dry/drier ink?), the lines got a little finer. Overall they were still a bit on the wider side though.

From what I've heard, the company that manufactures the Goulet Nibs is Jowo, a German company, so they might be using a slightly larger base for their Fine if you're more used to really fine nibs like most Japanese pens and maybe TWISBIs use.

e: I've got a little creep around the base of the nib too, but it doesn't bother me much. I have mine in an Ahab, by the way.

Jowo is what the TWSBIs now have. I'll play with some different inks then and see what happens. BSB tends towards a thicker/dryer experience so that will be interesting.

Now that I'm watching the video, I'm seeing that the nibs are on the wetter side anyway so I should have gotten an EF then. Thanks for the info!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Solkanar512 posted:

Jowo is what the TWSBIs now have. I'll play with some different inks then and see what happens. BSB tends towards a thicker/dryer experience so that will be interesting.

Now that I'm watching the video, I'm seeing that the nibs are on the wetter side anyway so I should have gotten an EF then. Thanks for the info!

Just a quick update, but BSB gives me the same line as BBK. These nibs are still awesome in my book, but know that they tend to run really wet.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

iostream.h posted:

No, I know for a fact that the converter for the Aventari(?) is different from some of the others at least.

I have both, and the only difference is that one is threaded.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Xovaan posted:

Engeika online has Iroshizuku for $15/bottle (plus shipping) but if you're in the market for a few colors you like from samples you get elsewhere (iSellPens and Goulet), it's the best place to shop outside of the nibmeisters' pages, such as Richard Binder and Mottishaw of nibs.com.

I'd love to give these inks a shot, however I'm curious about the permanency of the inks. I had a bad experience with Private Reserve "Naples Blue" where I could place my hand on a dry sheet of notes and find that the notes had transferred to my hand.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Thanks for the info!

Xovaan posted:

It's okay. Just never get into automotive hobbies and you'll be fine. :)

... :(

I'm hosed, I'm saving up for a BRZ.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Brightman posted:

For $37 I'm in. It looks decent enough and I've been sorta wanting to get a chrome pen like that.

Edit: Great, now I've searched 'fountain pens' on Kickstarter and I'm trying to not buy one of these stone cut pens.

Edit2: Screw it, it's my birthday next month when that last one is funded and a pen in banded malachite looks awesome.

Screw you for telling us all about the existence of stone pens.

Is it just me, or when you see a larger pen like the Majestic does anyone else get disappointed when they find out it isn't a piston-filler? It always feels like a waste to me to see even the Sailor King of Pens with only a converter.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So has there been any word on the all metal TWSBI Diamond 850? I even remember Goulet Pens saying that it was coming out early this year, but not a word since.

ETA: Someone else asked about it and apparently they're being plated in platinum and are still being actively tested. Awesome! :D

And since I'm such a god drat fanboy, a few pics posted in the last day or so:

That red one is next on my list if the 850 doesn't come anytime soon. drat.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 3, 2013

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Thelonious Monk posted:

Anyone use a Namiki falcon? Using iroshizuku ink in it leaves a very nice line, but using the sailor nanocarbon black in it seems to make it a really dry pen. Any suggestions for a bulletproof ink that works well in this thing?

I believe that Noodler's Black Eel is bulletproof. The lubrication should help with the flow.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Xovaan posted:

I would steer clear of "bulletproof" inks in pens. HoD works but you have to use acetone to rid the pen of residual ink every month or so or else it will cause flow issues.

In fact, having just had to go through this, I'd not recommend any "bulletproof" ink for any expensive pen as I'm unsure of the longterm effects of using such inks.

I've used HoD and difficult inks like BSB and never had any issues like that. Why in the hell would you use acetone when at most you need a little ammonia in warm water?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Xovaan posted:

Meant to say ammonia. Oops. Sorry early morning delirium etc

That's cool, I was afraid we were all going to end up yelling at you for fountain pen abuse. :p

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

kim jong-illin posted:

Which TWSBI is considered to be the best: the Vac 700 or the Diamond 580? I'm looking for a stub italic nib with the largest possible ink reservoir.

I believe that the ink reservoir is slightly larger in the Vac 700, but as to which pen is the best, that's a hard call. The 580 is an amazing value, but the 700 is a larger pen with a larger nib, more solidly built but $30ish more.

Does this help at all?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

kim jong-illin posted:

It's helpful, thanks.

I like my stub italic nibs to be 1.1mm and there's a few comments on the internet that the Diamond 580's 1.1mm is actually more like 1.4mm, which is discouraging. Is the smoothness of the nib and ergonomic comfort the same between the two?

Both nibs should be fine, but the ergonomic comfort is going to depend on the size of your hand. The 580 is a medium sized pen while the 700 is noticeably larger.

What other pens do you own, and tend to use more frequently than others?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

kim jong-illin posted:

Lamy Safaris are my main pens and the size/ergonomics are absolutely spot-on for my hand size/writing style. I write something along the lines of 20-30 sides of A4 every day and they're perfect for that. The TWSBI needs to fit into that role so comfort and ink capacity are the main priorities.

I have a Lamy 2000 which is too heavy for my liking (and is being returned for store credit, hence the TWSBI purchase), and a Caran d'Ache Ecridor Chevron, which is ergonomically fine but the palladium coating makes it uncomfortable for prolonged writing so it's my brief letter-writing pen only.

Get the Vac 700 then. The Lamy Safari irrationally annoys the heck out of me because it's such a large pen and yet they still make you use a converter. You can't even convert it to an eyedropper because of the window cut out! I just chalk it up the strong opinion to pen collectors being oddly particular about their pens. Anyway... ;)

The colors on the Vac 700 are really brilliant (I have a blue one myself) but man does the clear one look great. They also take the Goulet Pens nibs if you want an inexpensive (but wet! take the western size they list and go finer by one size) two-tone nib.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

kim jong-illin posted:

Brilliant, thanks ever so much for the rapid and detailed advice!

NP, you just caught a TWSBI fan boy bored at work. ;) Let us know what you think when you receive the pen!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Brightman posted:

That stone pen kickstarter guy put out two updates recently and apparently he's just cranking out pens now. This might be the first thing I backed that I actually got on time...well a lot of the video games still have a shot I guess.

Also I'm now fairly tempted to get one of those Goulet italic nibs for my Vac 700, but I think I'll wait until we get some first hand impressions in here.

I have a Goulet two tone nib in Fine for my Sapphire Vac 700, and it's sexy as all hell. Just note that they are incredibly wet, say western size+1, but they fit perfectly. But man does the gold look great with the blue!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Brightman posted:

Yeah, you said it was having nib creep happen from the base though. Did that stop or was it just that one ink or something? Also I'm really just interested in grabbing an italic, so I sorta want to see if those check out as well.

I found that not having the stop open all the time got rid of the nib creep at the base.

kim jong-illin posted:

Does it just slide in or is putting the new nib on more involved than that?

Posting the Lamy 2000 off tomorrow for the store credit, should be getting my Vac 700 (in clear, natch) in a couple of week's time.

The nib and feed are friction fit, so just wrap a paper towel and pull firmly, and pull straight out. Then replace the nibs, loosely fit the feed and nib back in, spinning it around until it feels like it fits and push firmly. Done in under a minute.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Brightman posted:

When switching out the nib like that can you just wait for it to dry out when the stopper is closed? I still haven't switched out the stock nib with the Jowo they had taped to the side.

I don't see why not, but I imagine that the feed will still have a good bit of ink in it.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

lady flash posted:

So I bought a goulet 1.1 nib to replace the 1.1 on my vac 700. In the hopes of making it wetter. It is slightly more wet but not where I want it to be. Has anyone messed with the feed on a vac with any luck?

Try something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0pNht6vsfE

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

xilixliadon posted:

Haven't seen his site before, it's very good. Here's the paragraph that talks about baystate blue, copied straight from the "the good the bad and the ugly" section of his site (richardpens.com)

"Strongly alkaline inks can eat some organic resins, especially celluloid and Omas’ vegetal resin — which is very much like celluloid. Parker made the “51” of acrylic because its super-quick drying “51” ink turned out to like noshing on celluloid pens. (The problem was largely due to the ink’s alkalinity that contributed to quick drying by eating into the paper’s cellulose fibers.) Among modern inks, Noodler’s Baystate colors stain terribly and are are also alkaline enough to destroy some plastics, including the materials from which Pilot and Lamy feeds are made and the resins used in the barrels of some makers’ piston-filling pens. Some other Noodler’s inks, whose identities I have not yet pinned down, will reduce latex sacs to goo. This destruction occurs without the presence of metal; it is not the “gummy sac” problem that is caused by improperly formulated latex."

Hmm... I'm a huge fan of BSB and normally keep it in my Vac 700 (switching off with Blue Eel at times) but it makes me wonder. How often do folks lubricate the metal rod compared to full fillings of ink? Every time? Every other time? Never? Which ink(s) are you using?

I find that when using BSB I feel the need to lubricate nearly every time, but I've never thought to keep track of it until now. Could this be related or am I just imagining things?

*That said, the Eel series is great for piston/vac pens. Really smooths things out, and Black Eel is bulletproof! It's no HoD, but it's close.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

laertes22 posted:

What can you guys tell mme about Noodler's HOD? I have their Black and X-feather and was wondering how it differs from these. (also if it is worth investing in another black ink). Not sure if it matters, but I currently have a Lamy Safari, Lamy Vista, TWSBI 580, TWSBI Vac700, Monteverde Invincia Stylus.

Also, for the guys that have bought Noodler's Ahab flex pens, I am a bit curious about those. I really like the aesthetic of the Ahab, as well as the size and the grip. However, I have no experience tinkering with or fixing my pens, and I have heard that Ahab's don't necessarily work great straight out of the box.

HoD is a well behaved ink and is most likely the darkest black you'll easily find.

Question back at you: do you have the all-black Invincia? Does it chip off or take regular use well?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

laertes22 posted:

How does HoD do with regular, cheap notebook paper. Noodler's Black and X feather have behaved really well on cheap paper. However, I was curious if HoD had any issues with feathering, bleeding through, etc.

I can't say I've had any issues, but I've also never used it with a nib larger than a western fine. Mostly I stick to an extra fine with it because the intensity is perfect for forms and regulatory paperwork. Anyone else want to chip in here?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

blowfish posted:

In addition, "It comes in any nib size you want - as long as that nib size is M" is a bit disappointing.

e: Just looked at the kickstarter again.
1) $220000 :aaa:
2) At over 5500 pens already ordered, he definitely could add at least F and B nibs (or F and EF :v:). I recall TWSBI saying the minimum order for their nibs was 1000 or 2000-ish per size.

I sure hope he's able to actually manage that sort of production in a reasonable amount of time, otherwise he's going to piss off a whole bunch of people new to the hobby.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Kessel posted:

Ah hahaha god. I browsed through some of the comments on the Kickstarter page.

Someone emailed Bock and asked if they were doing the nibs. Bock said no, and that it wasn't Jowo either. So if you buy this pen you're getting a nib straight out of the Hero factory, probably, or failing that Nanchang - with all the quality control issues that entails.

I can pretty much now safely say that if you back this effort looking for an affordable high-quality pen you're an idiot.

God drat it, that poo poo just pisses me off.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Verdugo posted:

I'd love to get my hands on one to see how it writes. What a blatant copy, down to the italicized "HERO" on the barrel instead of Lamy.

It's a better effort than what I see on Kickstarter...

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

laertes22 posted:

I got an eyedropper converted Platinum Preppy for free when I ordered some Noodler's ink. This pen has slowly been working its way into my "take to work"/"carrying around" work horse pen rotation, because it rights decently and was cheap/free (if it gets damaged/lost/stolen, I won't be heartbroken and it's easily replaced).

However, I have been having trouble finding information on how to clean and flush it. All of my other pens have converters, so cleaning this one is kind of throwing me for a loop. I assume I can just use an eyedropper with water or pen flush to get most of the ink out of the body, but I am unsure what to do about getting the nib and feed bits clean. None of the videos that I've found for the Preppy really addressed this. Any ideas?

You might also consider going to a pharmacy or drug store and picking up one of those rubber blub aspirators for small children. A great way to gently force water through the feed/nib of just about any pen. I love it for my Scheaffer 300, because I just can't get the nib removed!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Kessel posted:

Assuming you live in the US, you use a fountain pen = people already look at you funny. Don't sweat it anymore, your fate is to be that guy who uses fountain pens always.

I love handing over a Metro or a TWSBI when someone asks to borrow a pen. Half the time they don't know what to do with it and it's hilarious to watch. That being said, I gave my groomsmen TWSBI 540s, and they thought it was the neatest thing ever. Hell, my dad got a Vac 700, and he's hooked!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

xilixliadon posted:

Thinking about converting my metro to eyedropper fill, as it seems solid enough and has a sealed body. Anyone done this?

I tried this (and ended up pissing off a bunch of folks on FPN when I asked). What basically happens is that the pen starts releasing way too much ink. I had drips in some cases.

It's such a shame, it would make that pen perfect. As far as reaction between metals is concerned, I looked it up, and the corrosion effect would have taken years to show up.

Luisfe posted:

But then they'll use pressure and ruin the nib forever :byodood:

Most of the people I hand a pen to are deathly afraid of applying pressure then decide that they just don't like the pen. What can you do?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Econosaurus posted:

Any recommendations for nice pens in the $50-150 range?

This is the mating call of the TWSBI whore. Diamond 580 and Vac 700 are awesome, others here are fond of the Micarta.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Pilot Stargazer?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Edmond Dantes posted:

Now I'm starting to feel bad about buying that Lamy CP1 with all those recommendations. :(

I had taken a look at the 580, but something about it being plastic and transparent just set off warning alarms in my head, I kept picturing using it for a month and it transforming into a scratched, ink-stained mess.

I've used a Diamond 540 for over a year and a half at work every day and it looks great. It's not perfect by any means, but it still impresses people when I let them try it.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Also, what are folks' thoughts on the Lamy Studio? I have a few Amazon gift cards to burn and that red one with the gold nib is rather nice looking.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
My wife is awesome! She bought me a Visconti Traveling Inkwell and a personalized leather pen holder (holds 3) for my birthday!

The inkwell is quite an interesting design if you've never seen one. It's a glass tube that holds, 10(?)mL of ink, and has a stopped at the top. Once you take the stopper off your pen goes in, and there's a thick rubber gasket that seals the pen. Then you turn it upside down, and get a complete fill on your pen, regardless of filling technique.

The best part is that the ink pot fits inside the pen holder just like another pen!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

SnakesRevenge posted:

Keep up that resistance. That pen in particular will definitely have a bad time with BSB, it tends to chew up those Lamy feeds quite severely.

Don't get me wrong - I love the color, but it stays in a dedicated Preppy eyedropper that not only handles the ink like a champ (albeit with plenty of staining), it's easy to their out and replace should it ever suffer a catastrophic failure.

I will say that for pens that can handle it, I discovered that rubbing alcohol did wonders cleaning the feed of a pen I had used BSB with for a long, long time.

I totally get the love/hate relationship with that ink, the color is a perfect indigo but I end up having to lubricate my pens too often with it.. Are there any other inks which have a similar intensity?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

mulls posted:

The best blue-black is Pelikan. I also think 54th Massachusetts is great.

Would Bad Belted Kingfisher count? I've been using that, and I love it right now. Most of the blue-blacks I've tried end up with a green hue that I really don't like.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Kessel posted:

Good taste in pens, good choice of inks, good everything. Glad you enjoyed your trip!

Indeed, the nib on that last Sailor is amazing. I just don't understand why those huge pens aren't piston/vac instead of the current converter. Especially the King of Pens, it feels like a waste, especially if you decide to get one of the crazy stacked nibs.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Welsper posted:

If memory serves, Sailor do piston variants of several of their pens under the "Realo" moniker.

Yeah, I've heard of the Realo, but that's like 2 or 4 models in the entire range. Maybe it's just me, but I live having a huge ink reservoir and seeing something as large and expensive as a King of Pens with only a converter seems nuts.

Maybe I just need to lust after an M400 or something instead. Pen people are weird. ;)

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

GrAviTy84 posted:

Thinking about taking the plunge with a pilot metro, though I don't think I really want to go crazy with the paper buying. What's a good blue black ink that would be suitable for use in a pilot metro on standard office papers and notepads without bleeding/etc?

Bad Belted Kingfisher is one I'm having fun with, and I've heard great things about 54th Massachusetts. The thing I can't stand about Noodler's Blue/Black is that it has a green tinge to it that drives me nuts.

If you want a taste of some black magic, go for Baystate Blue. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Kheldragar posted:

I believe I just threw away a black one that I believe had about a quarter of its ink left because it stopped working; glad it's not just me. I should probably buy an actual, good fountain pen rather than disposables. :shepspends:

Yesssssssssssssssssss.

Need help picking something out?