Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biffmotron
Jan 12, 2007

Megabound posted:

Does anyone use any good resources for handwriting practice? Mine's shocking and needs to get better. Also, are there any reasonably priced Australian shops? Overjoyed.xyz is the most reasonable I found, other than ebay.

My father swears by the Getty-Dubay system. He went from terrible doctor handwriting to elegant calligraphy that he uses to impress other old people. I'm working through it now, so we'll see how it goes.

I just started with fountain pens a few weeks back, and I expect that soon I'll be like the rest of you. I've got a Waterman Hemisphere, and a Parker 75 that's a family heirloom to start with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biffmotron
Jan 12, 2007

Dimestore Merlin posted:

Newbie here. My wife caught me looking at the F-C e-motion pure black and admonished me to not spend $175 on a pen. So instead I'm looking at the Basic in carbon fiber or the ambition. Any recommendations either way? I'm interested in adding a converter but I've seen conflicting reports on if the Basic takes the standard F-C converter.

I've got a Faber-Castell basic in chrome. It's a solid pen, brought down by a number of minor flaws. The grip section has a textured coating and is finger-friendly, though it also holds on to ink more than conventional materials. I've got a converter in mine (some generic international model), and the body of the pen keeps grabbing the converter. No problems with ink flow when the pen is together. The biggest flaw is the cap, which is a brushed silver plastic that just looks cheap next to the pen itself.

It's not a bad pen by any reason, but I've got a Lamy Al-Star, and in that price range if you made me pick one, the Lamy would win hands down.

Biffmotron
Jan 12, 2007

Abyss posted:

Anyone use any ink from Birmingham Pens? They have some dark greens that look good but I've rarely seen them get mentioned.

I picked up a bottle of Angelfish recently because it looked like a reasonable blue/red-sheening replacement for Organic Studios Nitrogen, which is very pretty but smears if you think about moisture in its vicinity. It's okay, a solid blue but if there's any sheen, I haven't seen it on a variety of nice papers.

Biffmotron
Jan 12, 2007

I’ve got a couple of pens I’m deep cleaning and having trouble with.

First, my Lamy 2000 has been leaking from the joint between the nib section and the barrel. I’m thinking a little silicon grease on the threads there would help.

Second, I have a Franklin-Christoph where I can’t unscrew the nib section from the barrel. Gripping harder isn’t working, and I’m worried about scratching or cracking the pen. Any ideas before I break out the pliers?

Biffmotron
Jan 12, 2007

I found a little rubber mat thing and got the FC open. I’ve been deep cleaning the pens that have been out of rotation in an ultrasonic cleaner (game changer).

Lamy still has the metal gasket, so I think everything will be okay. We may now return to our regularly scheduled financially crippling pen hobby.