Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bezoar
May 2, 2007
The eco nib is a bit scratchy in my experience too, but the vac 700 nib is my new favourite and from the same company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bezoar
May 2, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Oh poo poo I just discovered a Canadian fountain pen store. Anyone familiar with Wonderpens.ca?

Looking at their specials and they have a flex nib Ahab for pretty cheap. Canadian pricing.

Also curious about these Opus 88 Eyedropper pens that are on sale. They seem to have reviewed well.

I'd rather buy from Canadian stores because I don't want to pay a ton for shipping as well as customs fees.

Amazon doesn't have the capless for us in Canada.

Nothing but good things to say about wonderpens.ca, and if you can go in person the staff are all pleasant and awesome too! They’re really good about shipping and I’ve never felt rushed even when Covid regulations are getting people lined up outside the door.

Bezoar
May 2, 2007

SixteenShells posted:

ooooo that looks pretty!

side tangent I go back and forth on demonstrator pens - I find a closed pen barrel just looks nicer somehow to my eye, the demonstrators remind me of see-through plastic kids electronics from the 90s/00s. But the utility you get from seeing how much ink you have left, and the opportunity to really showcase a beautiful ink before it even hits the page? you just can't get that otherwise. And the slowly building anticipation from seeing the reservoir slowly deplete over time, gauging how long you can push it before you should clean and refill - it's very engaging.

I’ve found these Opus 88 pens a nice take on demonstrators without looking chintzy

[https://wonderpens.ca/collections/pens-fountain-pens/products/opus-88-jazz-fountain-pen-clear]

Bezoar
May 2, 2007
In my limited experience an opus 88 Jazz with a flex nib has been one of my most dependable performers and incredibly comfortable. It’s not huge on line variation aside from a bit of a painterly press giving fat bold lines, but then I’ve only had experience with the fine flex nib. I really like the glass eyedropper fill mechanism and it being a large pen it’s hard to make a mess while filling it. Their stainless steel nibs are from Jowo I believe, and aren’t a buttery smooth experience like some gold nibs I’ve used, but being able to easily and lightly control how much ink gets dumped on a page really gives me painting vibes.

Bezoar
May 2, 2007

howe_sam posted:

I was perusing what Shawn Newton had in stock, saw this Elizabethan in Conway Stewart red glitter acrylic on sale and welp, had to have it

Very pretty! What’s that ink? Nice reds are hard to find in my experience.

Edit: dumb question , sorry. I’ll stop COVID posting. Your penmanship is faultless, ‘‘tis I who is defective.

Bezoar fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 14, 2024