Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
Just mix bleach in with the ink before loading your pen.

*not really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

iostream.h posted:

Gimme a bit and I'll get it up later tonight!

Whoa ho! And it's not even Friday!

Has anyone gotten one of those rose gold TWSBI's yet? I'm not really tempted by it but I'm curious if it really feels like a TWSBI.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

powderific posted:

I just got a boatload of samples in from Goulet that I'm excited to try out. Is there any particular procedure to use when you switch out inks? Normally I squirt out any leftovers and then suck some water up into the pen a few times to rinse it. Usually I get tired of doing this and just fill up the pen with new ink even if the water isn't totally clear when it comes out.

Just get a bulb syringe like so: http://www.gouletpens.com/Goulet_Bulb_Syringe_2oz_p/gpc-bulbsyringe.htm

If you aren't ordering from there in a while, just go to any drugstore or department store and look in the baby section for one. You can ask for "Nasal Aspirator" but every mother I know calls them "Snot Suckers"

Anyway, they will quickly flush water through your pen to clean it and then you can push air through to help dry up the water. Since I learned to use this, my pen cleaning is hardly a chore.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

It's just some pliers that have been customized, likely to hold pen barrels without scratching them. You can wrap some masking tape around normal pliers and use that to (gently) open your tines as seen in the video.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

Verdugo posted:

You can get it at that price, through Rakuten Global market. It's in the OP.

$12 for a bottle, $12 for shipping. Not quite the same.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

Welsper posted:

Bleedthrough from anything wetter than a dry fine nib.

Also, feathering with most inks I've used, even some broad gel pens. Their paper quality varies from book to book, sometimes even within the same book.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

Nathan is not crazy at all. He's just passionate about his political beliefs and that spills over into everything he does. He may not be mainstream but he doesn't advocate taking away anyone's freedoms, persecuting people or anything like that.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

I have a Retro 51 Tornado "Metalsmith" roller ball pen for cases like that so at least I can enjoy a nice writing experience when I am writing on fountain pen unfriendly paper.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

I was wandering around in Nagoya yesterday when a little shop caught my eye:

Pen-Land Cafe!

Of course I had to check it out!

It's a pen shop up front with a pen themed cafe in the back.

The owner is really nice and let me try some awesome vintage flex pens. He also has some custom Sailor Jentle inks that were made just for his store. A green that he says matches the discontinued Mont Blanc "British Racing Green", a bright blue that reminds me of "Kon-peki" and one that I bought called "Utsurigi" that writes black but dries with sepia shading. I can't wait to try it out! Definitely worth a visit if you happen to be around that part of the world. http://www.pen-land.jp/index.html

(The Tapioca Mango Milk tea was awesome too)

RustedChrome fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 2, 2014

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

I'll be more excited when I visit Pen Island.

Please come to Japen!

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

It's in the Osu shopping district, Naka Ward. I want one near my house too.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

powderific posted:

I hate the way the Metro feels in my hand. The bump where it goes from grip/threads to main pen body is right where I normally hold and makes the pen very uncomfortable. It's my most disappointing pen purchase. So, count me as the one person who doesn't like the Metro.

I have the same issue but, also, the metro is just a boring pen. I don't have to do any writing for work or school, so I only use fountain pens for pleasure. I don't get any from the metro.

If you need a pen for work or school, it's probably ideal.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

I've been in the market for a Pilot VP for about a year now but could never quite pull the trigger. When I was in Japan last month, I tried out quite a few models and nib sizes and came really close to buying one. The prices were slightly better than I can get here I the states. (Hint: if you ask about Vanishing Point over there you'll just get puzzled looks, I'd forgotten that they are called "Capless" in their homeland.) I had heard that a green model was I the way so I held off. As a collector of green pens, it sounded like a perfect match.

The I saw the final products and I hate them. That bright metallic green is not my favorite, but not a deal breaker. The black trim with that color is absolutely hideous in my eyes. I don't like any of the colors with that trim. It reminds me of years ago when you could tell who bought the cheap, no options version of a new car by the ugly black bumpers instead of body color or chrome trim. I think I'd buy the green VP if it had rhodium trim. I'm wishing I had bought that stealth model in Osaka now.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

Even though I've been spoiled by pricier pens and don't use my Metro, it's still the one I recommend to people who just want a good, worry free FP to write with.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

I have a 1911 mid size and a Pro Gear. They both post and they are both great pens. Go for it!

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

I have a couple of Noodler's Konrads and they both work fine. Smooth nibs and no leaks. I particularly like the ebonite model.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

Empty it if it's convenient or if you just want to be super careful. My flying experience is pretty much the same as Brian Goulet shows here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujg_uMkt7ww

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

I got the new ROC TWSBI 580 in yesterday with an EF nib. I was holding out for a green model but it seems that will never come and I always liked the look of the previous ROC model. Also, the Summer "Colors Edition" Field Notes came in today. It's kind of weird having a larger size but, as always, cool stuff.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

Anybody have tips for getting ink stains out of a fedora?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

blowfish posted:

Gibbis is leaking.

If this thread is going to become as moronic and un-funny as the rest of GBS, I'm out. :horse: