Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
So I'm going away from my office for 6 weeks to work on a **secret project**. I've got the right ink, but what is the best way to transport it? Put the original bottle in a zip-lock bag in checked luggage? Surely there's a better way.

I realize invisible ink is better for secret projects. I want to be able to read my own writing. Shut up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
noodlers bottles are glass, but they're very heavy glass. I hadn't even thought about breakage, I was just trying to avoid carrying extra stuff. Now I'm :ohdear:

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
I am totally loving over my converter pen. The pen is nice, we're cool, but I hate the converter (lamy) with a passion because:
a) dunking the pen in the ink bottle (noodlers 3oz one) leaves the pen messy and gets ink all over my hands (not a good look when I have to shake hands with people for work). And before anyone asks, I don't literally dunk the whole pen in the ink bottle, it's just hard to gauge depth when I can't see inside and the ink goes a little higher up the pen than it should.
b) the converter doesn't suck up any ink through the nib. At all.
c) removing the converter from the pen and filling on its own works, but is messy as hell in the previously mentioned bottle. Soon it won't work because I'm almost half way through the ink supply, and the converter isn't long enough to reach much deeper.

Is there a solution I should be looking into to still have the fountain-pen-goodness but without the mess? Should I try an inkwell (warning: I'm a bit of a clutz)? Find a pen with a different filling mechanism? What should I be researching?

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Sep 17, 2013

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

breathstealer posted:

This is not normal. Are you sure the converter is seated properly and there's nothing blocking ink in the section? You also might not be dipping deep enough - the entire metal portion of the nib must be submerged. The grip will get inky but if you have tissue on hand it should be possible to keep your hands clean.

I exaggerated a little. Some ink comes up, but the converter is probably <25% full when fully drawn. It very well may be that the pen isn't submerged enough, which comes back to me not being able to see what's happening inside the bottle and being too conservative to keep the grip clean when guessing depth.

That TWSBI ink well looks perfect, except I am quite fond of my lamy studio. I assume I can't get an international adapter for it? I will try a sheaffer snorkle if I ever see a metal one (what's a reasonable price point for a good one?).

I'm considering getting another pen, would it be worth looking into a piston filler? Maybe a bigger piston would draw ink better.

edit: I was also thinking about a montblanc ink bottle. How are they for size?

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Sep 17, 2013

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Verdugo posted:

If you don't have inky fingers, you're not a true fountain pen user. :colbert:

Like the rest of you fountain pen dorks, I'm just a poser :colbert:

But seriously, it's not acceptable to have inky hands when you have to meet with people and make friends for work. But I like my fountain pen posing so that's why I'm looking at solutions. Will try multiple-drawing-through-nib next time I refill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
Syringe filling just seems wrong. It's like one of those things where you put so much effort into doing something and say "hang on, it should be simpler than this". It's a pen, it shouldn't require all these extra accessories to do it right, unless you're using the syringe to just fill the whole pen body. Not a rational complaint, but still... :effort:

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Buy some ink-NIX, it's great at removing ink stains.

We used to have a similar problem in my industry with cleaning hands and they came out with the really powerful cleaner that worked wonders called MEK, and all the old timers started getting kidney and liver problems from the solvents being absorbed through their skin. I'd personally be cautious of any "wonder solvent" that works great on organic compounds, especially the ones that don't say how they work. I would stay away from that product (and any others like it) unless they are very clear about what the ingredients are and the ingredients are well studied.

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Sep 18, 2013