Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Brightman posted:

I saw some discussion on this the other day somewhere (I forgot where, doesn't seem to be on fpn, so maybe it was on a blog) and the only other noticeable differences are the clip style, larger o-rings for the grip section, and also a metal bit in the grip that holds the nib assembly, which is also to help prevent cracking as people seemed to have a hard time lining up the notches and not just cramming it in there.
So if you're pen is cracked, then this might be a good idea, but otherwise yeah, what 404notfound said.

My grip area is slightly cracked and I've never misaligned the notches on it. :( I've debated on emailing them about it only because they are very minor and not inhibiting the performance of the pen. I know they'll probably just send me a replacement piece but I'd really be satisfied with just purchasing one. I'm trying to say: I don't feel any entitlement to a new part and would just like to pay for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

That's atrocious. On another note: I'm wanting to get a new nib size for my TWSBI 540. I'm torn between a broad nib and the stub. I want to learn fancy writing and stuff, and love a big wet line. I have the medium now. Can anyone here sway me one direction or the other?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Awesome! Thanks for the replies. I suppose if you're wanting big you may as well go for it! I've got my eye on VAC700 or the new 850, whichever I find will scratch the itch I will invariably have in the near future.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Brightman posted:

These threads are tricky like that, much like the Wet Shaving Thread, although that one is probably cheaper in the end.
That is the second best thread. I found it years ago and it changed me! Seriously, anyone not wet shaving needs to start. As for now, I find I can't use so many pens at a time so I find an interest in inks even more. My new pilot Kon-Peki has been so much fun to write with. We (wife and I) are building a home right now so I have plenty of opportunity to bust out my 540 and sign lots of stuff. Everyone has commented on it :) I'm such an attention seeking whore

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Vagueabond posted:

I have a question about Lamy's warranty. I have a Safari which, for whatever reason, is stuck with the cap posted and won't come undone

I've never personally had this happen but I would try putting the pen in the fridge or something for a while, then aiming a hair dryer at the cap (low heat setting, don't want to melt stuff) and see if the heat will expand the cap enough to be removed. :science:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Xachariah posted:

Is that comparative statics analysis?

Also you guys should check out Mont Blanc Burgundy Red for a good ink. It seems iridescent to me, depending on the light and angle it looks purple, violet, black or dark red. There is shading but it looks stylish.

poo poo no; Mont Blanc burgundy is pink. I had heard such great things about how well behaved MB inks are and instead of just buying black (which I don't own any black ink) I thought oh yes, burgundy should be a rich and deep red.
I got a pink so I never use if because it doesn't seem manly enough.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

I'm completely wrecked on Iroshizuku inks. It's all I will ever buy or use from here on out. I do wish their black was more dark, it's what has held me back from getting some.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Welsper posted:

Are you using Kiri-same or Take-sumi?

I have Kiri-same and Kon-Peki. I know the Kiri-same is a cool gray on purpose (I love the color). Haven't tried their version of 'black' yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Related post, but I am looking for a nice quality journal to write my thoughts/musings. My wife got me a very nicely calfskin hardbound/gilded edge journal for my last which I just filled up a couple of weeks ago. I am looking for something that is not just a "moleskine" type notebook. I generally write with my TWSBI Diamond 580 with a 1.1 nib and Pilot inks (my handwriting is big fat letters). Perhaps something like this would be cool? Hand-made paper journal or am I asking for a bleed through mess with that kind of paper? I am not opposed to spending up to ~$75 if something seems to look particularly cool/unique since these are things I intend for my kids/grandkids to read etc.