Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Hotbod Handsomeface posted:

I am going to ask for a red-black ink and a Lamy for my birthday.

Red-Brown is where it's at.

Noodlers Tiananmen and Diamine OxBlood are :black101: as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
You can buy an italic nib for a safari for :10bux:

e: beaten

Welsper fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 28, 2013

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think you can get converters for the Kaweco Sport, so your ink options might be a bit limited unless you refill empty cartridges.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
No chance of repair? I sent my Lamy 2000 to Germany after it fell on its nib, came back writing better than when I bought it. They've got some superb staff there.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kessel posted:

Now I'm wondering if I can write to Lamy Germany and try to send it in to them, or if they'll just tell me to deal with the local distributor/repair company.

I just sent mine straight to Germany because the Australian distributors were a pain to deal with.

I included a nicely worded letter explaining how it broke and how much I'd enjoyed using it, and included contact details for billing and such.

They were nice enough to repair it for free!

Total cost of repair: $25 AUD for international postage.

Mine was less than 2 years old and didn't need replacement parts though, but from what I hear the repair rates from Lamy itself are better than the distributors in some cases.

Welsper fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Apr 18, 2013

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Just wait until you own a bunch of nice inks, you'll want all those pens so you can use them at once.

(Buy some Pilot Iroshizuku Tsuki-Yo and wonder why you bothered to write in any other colour).

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Pilot Metal Falcon fits with big+metal, it uses a semi-flexible nib though, which could be good or bad depending on your preferences.

Taking metal+size to its logical endpoint is the Lamy Dialog 3, probably the largest pen I've handled in person.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If you're spending more than $100 on a pen, absolutely get a Lamy 2000. I've got a few hundred pages of university notes done thanks to that pen, plus a free repair from Lamy after it fell on its nib. A++ would buy again.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Nask26 posted:

I've had my twsbi 580 for a little while now, The pen just doesn't feel very comfortable for me. The pen is awesome but I'm not sure I will be able to write notes every day with it. I was thinking about getting a safari? The Safari looks thinner and lighter then the twsbi. Any thoughts?

Diamond 540 vs. Lamy Safari

If you're looking specifically for thin, a Pilot/Namiki Vanishing Point, Lamy CP1 or Lamy Logo might be what you're after.

Welsper fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jun 19, 2013

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

I think it's something with my batch of HoD. It seems to want to run down the tines on my other pen as well.

Maybe it's because you're filling it so often, then the environment of the pen is changing? The heat from your hand could be warming the ink and making expand. I had a leak problem yesterday when I topped up my VP in a cold room, then brought it into a heated exam hall.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

blowfish posted:

Pelikan superiority :agesilaus:

Also, congrats to Teach for getting an old PFM! I'm envious right now :v:

Speaking of Pelikans, I'm currently saving for a Pilot Elabo, but part of me wants to double down and get a Pelikan M400. I'm just on the fence about spending $300 on a writing instrument when there's so many Lamys and Pilots I could get for $200 or less.

Basically, tell me why I should choose a Pelikan.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I'm completely wrecked on Iroshizuku inks. It's all I will ever buy or use from here on out. I do wish their black was more dark, it's what has held me back from getting some.

Are you using Kiri-same or Take-sumi?

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Freckles posted:

drat this thread for making me want a TWSBI Diamond 580. I don't really need another pen, but it's just so pretty...

I live in Melbourne, though, and the cost of shipping to Australia is ridiculous from pretty much anywhere. Are there any Aussies here who know if there is a retailer in Australia that stocks these pens to cut down on the cost?

Best prices for Australia are direct from TWSBI, or Malaysian / Japanese retailers for other brands.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DanManIt posted:

Any recommendations on cheapish but decent quality paper? Spending $10 for a little rhodia pad doesn't really seem worth it. Plus, with how much I write it would be used up pretty quickly.

What size are you after? I'm paying $6 each for Rhodia A5 dot pads.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DanManIt posted:

I was just looking at small notepad spiral bound ones on amazon. Where are you getting yours?

Here. It's $12.50 for shipping outside Australia though.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Aircorp Blue-Black comes out as dark black-green with a suggestion of blue.

E: Pilot Iroshizuku Asa-Gao is a less hostile alternative to Noodler's Baystate Blue

Welsper fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jul 15, 2013

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The Lamy Safari is a $20 refillable fountain pen.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Rhodia products use Clairfontaine paper. :ssh:

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I thought metropolitans can't take the con-70 due to size?

Also, Tsuki-yo and other Iroshizuku inks are the best way to spend too much money on not-pens.

Welsper fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Aug 1, 2013

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Magnus Praeda posted:

They can't. They come with a Con-20 (ugh) and they can take a Con-50. Goulet "helpfully" offers the Con-50 as an add-on on the Metropolitan order page. It's only $5.50 more...

My innumeracy aside, isn't a con-20 preferable to a con-50 due capacity?
It's why I swapped to the con-20 in my vanishing point.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Fair enough.

While we're on the topic of Pilot, has anyone got an opinion on the new Justus 95?

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I suggest a Lamy 2000. It's usually around $120, which is the starting point for gold nibbed pens.

Other gold nibbed pens in the $100-$200 bracket:

Pilot Vanishing Point
Namiki Falcon
Sailor 1911M
Pilot Custom 74

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
e: nevermind

Welsper fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Aug 7, 2013

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SnakesRevenge posted:

While we're matching colors, can anybody recommend a close equivalent to El Lawrence from Noodler's? It's one of my favorite inks, but it stains everything it touches pretty severely. I'd go nuts over a similar color that I wouldn't have to worry so much about actually filling my pens with.

Maybe Iroshizuku Ina-ho, though it might not be dark/saturated enough for you.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Would anyone be interested in a bottle of Iroshizuku Fuyu-Gaki?

I'm using it with a 1.1m stub nib at the moment, but;

:10bux: plus shipping to anywhere in Australia or abroad, (it's been decanted into a small plastic bottle for cheaper postage). Please PM me if you're interested.

I'm also considering picking up some Noodler's Antietam, since Red-Brown is the most :black101: colour.

Welsper fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Aug 26, 2013

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kessel posted:

If you like red-brown and you don't get Tsukushi, you're cheating yourself.

I was considering either that or J.Herbin Terre de Feu for my next brown-leaning colour. What sort of nib are you using with it?

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Solkanar512 posted:

Are there any other inks which have a similar intensity?

Iroshizuku Asa-Gao is fairly close to Bay-State Blue without the feed murder.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Lamy Turquoise is the exception to that rule.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Solkanar512 posted:

Indeed, the nib on that last Sailor is amazing. I just don't understand why those huge pens aren't piston/vac instead of the current converter. Especially the King of Pens, it feels like a waste, especially if you decide to get one of the crazy stacked nibs.

If memory serves, Sailor do piston variants of several of their pens under the "Realo" moniker.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So I got a broad nib from gouletpens to replace the medium that came on my VAC700. The goulet #6 nib body seems very slightly wider than the default TWSBI nib body, which seems to increase the distance between the tines somewhat when fitted.

As a consequence, I no longer have a pen, but a paintbrush;

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Vitamins posted:

That's a really nice red too, blood-reds are the greatest.

With the clear centre of the VAC700, it looks like something I've filled from my forearm.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Selling a Lamy Safari, nibs, and some Fuyu-Syogun

Does anyone have experience using Sailor nano-carbon inks in demonstrators? I'm considering getting some Sei-Boku blue-black, but I'm worried about staining.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
A5 Rhodia Dot Pads for lyfe.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The Lamy 2000 is still in production, ergo it's always fine to prefer a Lamy.

Lamy 2000 + Pilot VP best student pen combination.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
There's not really enough of a texture on the piston knob for it to get caught on anything, plus it's fairly firm in its normal position. I've got a medium nib on my 580, which works fine for standard 7mm ruled paper.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Xun posted:

Help stop me from making enormous wishlists of inks for my pens :supaburn:

But seriously, I like a lot of the bright saturated colors but I cant really think of a reason to use them, anyone have suggestions so I can justify buying a bunch of bright oranges and pinks or something?

Colour coded annotation in lecture notes and diagrams. Very handy in biology for protein complexes etc.

And sometimes submit handwritten exercises in purple because why not.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Xun posted:

Any suggestions for a good slim pen? I'm thinking about moving up from my safari at some point but a lot of the suggested ones look too fat for my tiny rear end hands :(

A Pilot Capless Decimo might be suitable. It's a smaller/thinner version of the Pilot Vanishing point and uses the same nib units.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Kon-Peki is quite nice, Tsukushi and Fuyu-Syogun have been getting lots of comment in the thread lately.

Always buy a Tsuki-Yo

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Goulet carries #5 nibs in various finishes.

E: nope, all sixes at the moment :(

Welsper fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Demon_Corsair posted:

How do you get the existing bulb filler off of a metropolitan to get the con-50 on it? Does it just pull out?

It should just be a friction fit.