Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Admiral Nelson posted:

My big question here that makes me hesitate is that for essentially every one of these pens I google, there are always people complaining about misaligned nibs, and how they had to send it off to XYZ person, or use a loupe and tinker with it etc etc. This makes me nervous that she'd open up her spiffy new box and then get something that is scratchy / weird without maintenance. Is this a real thing about which to be concerned, or is that just typical internet complaining about things a general person would not notice? Sorry for the analysis paralysis, folks, but I appreciate all the replies!

One way around this is to buy directly from someone who does nib repairs as they will often do their own checks before selling a pen. e.g: http://nibs.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Apocron posted:

Is there something between the Pilot Metropolitan and Lamy 2000 that stands out in terms of bang for buck? I want a Lamy 2000 but don't have that kind of cash lying around so I thought maybe I'd just get the Metro for the meantime but if there's something that's a significant step up then I'd consider it.

Pretty much all of TWSBI's line-up.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone got experience with the alloy nib Vanishing Points?

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

bobfather posted:

The critical flaw of the 2000 IMO is that the nibs aren't replaceable. If they made a 2000 that took #5 or #6 nibs, it would be my next pen.

Lamy 2000 nibs are quite replaceable, just expensive.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The Decimo is a pretty good compromise imo

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone besides Lamy do factory obliques these days?

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

KingColliwog posted:

Since people are talking about other kinds of pen. If I had to buy a ballpoint or gel pen to fill documents where a fountain pen does not work. Is there any refillable ones that are nice (and look good if possible) below 50$? I'd like a nice gel/ballpoint for all those things I need to fill at work

Fisher Space Pen or Parker Jotter

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

VelociBacon posted:

Any recommendations for a black ink with an extremely fast dry time?

Aurora black dries p fast for me from a "wet" Lamy EF. Might not be fast enough for a lefty though.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

VelociBacon posted:

Hm I'm not a lefty but I work in a hospital and don't want smudging. I'm using a Japanese fine tip and have noodler's black in the mail so should be fine I guess.

I'm using the above combo for progress notes + med charts. <10sec dry time on the paper my facility uses.

E: Pilot cartridge black got similar from a fine VP.

Welsper fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jul 28, 2017

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Pilot Blue Black has slightly more violet character imo and much better water resistance.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cindy Shitbird posted:

How the hell is one supposed to choose between the Falcon and the Vanishing Point? And don't say, "just get both."

Vanishing point for work, Falcon for art / showing off your penmanship. VP if you prefer a stiffer nib, Falcon for something softer.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I got an FM Vanishing Point in the mail today and I think I found my One True nib size. For Pilot at least.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
What size nibs are you using on the capless and safari?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
On that note, anyone know a good replacement for Aircorp Blue-Black that isn’t Lamy Petrol?