Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

I got an old MB Meisterstück 146 from my dad, but I can't seem to refill it. I've rinsed the nib, but when I put it into the ink bottle and turn the piston-thingy, nothing happens, i. e. the ink window never fills up. What am I doing wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

It's definitely entirely submerged in the ink. I've just tried it with water, and while it didn't suck it up, it seemed to have some small effect. The ink window is still clear, but it looks a little different now. I tried it with the ink pot again, but no dice. Maybe something is just majorly blocked / dried out? It's not been used for a couple of years.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

My dad gave it to me about five years ago, but it's probably been sitting unused far longer than that. It might be the cork thing. Crap. Gonna have to look around and find someone who might be able to repair it.

EDIT: I'm such an idiot. For some reason, the piston-thingy was a little stuck. I just tried turning it again with a little more force, and it finally opened up. Everything works fine now :)

Now to buy some inks. Already have a J. Herbin perle noir. Can anyone recommend a fast-drying one for a messy lefty like me?

Wengy fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 18, 2015

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Thanks, will check those out!

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

So now that I got the Meisterstück working I'm kind of afraid to take it with me all the time, it basically being an heirloom - it's also a little ostentatious for a younger guy like. So I'm thinking of getting something that flies under the radar and I've been looking at the Lamy 2000. Why is the stainless steel version almost double the price of the black one on Gouletpens? "Makrolon" sounds so awesome! Also, what would be a good nib option for a lefty who usually applies just a little too much pressure and gets too much "flow" rather quickly?

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Lord Girlyman posted:

While I can't speak to the price, be aware that the stainless steel l2k is much heavier than the makrolon. Some people like the weight; a lot of people find it obnoxious to use. It's a wonderful pen regardless of the material, though. Additionally, the stainless steel version is currently on massdrop for ~$70 less than Gouletpens.

Be careful with the amount of pressure you apply; you can mess a nib up pretty easily if you aren't careful. You could try one one those practice fountain pens with a very sturdy nib, such as the Pelikan Pelikano Jr., to get the hang of it. I really only say that since you're currently using an expensive pen with sentimental value, so it doesn't hurt to be careful.

Thanks, just noticed that about the weight. The SS version is a no-go for me then... And while I've never damaged a nib in about fifteen years of fountain pen usage,, I was never totally happy with the stuff I used either (mostly cheap pens provided by my school and then later on an old Parker with a hard as gently caress nib). The Meisterstück writes very effortlessly, but I still get the impression that it's too "wet" for my rather cramped lefty handwriting. Maybe I should look into an extra fine Lamy?

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Aw gently caress, just discovered Aurora pens - how nice are those???? I'm gonna visit Torino this Spring and I'd be surprised if I returned without an Aurora Optima...

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Alder posted:

IIRC the updated Aurora FPs are very conservative for design compared to some of the luxury companies. Mostly C/C and the occasional piston-filler. The vintage Aurora 88 is a homage to the P51 w/it's hooded nib but they can be finicky writers according a member of the local club.Although, I don't see a lot them overseas but they do have a following online.

The 88 seems very staid, but the Optima, especially with the chrome trim, is sleek as gently caress IMHO: http://nibs.com/AuroraOptimaResinBlackChrome.htm

Also, everything about their website is so endearingly Italian. Definitely going to look into them when I visit Torino.

EDIT: This poo poo is just as terrible as watches & photography. Have a Lamy 2000 on order, will probably get the Aurora soon and am considering a small Nakaya for my girlfriend's birthday. gently caress y'all.

Wengy fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jan 23, 2015

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

grack posted:

The Makrolon Lamy 2000 is back up on Massdrop for $119.99.

Wow, about as expensive as what I just paid for it on Amazon.de, the weak Euro be praised.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Please vote for this drop kthx: https://dro.ps/v/2eF4Mtw
Really, really want an Aurora Optima, and Massdrop might be a cool (and cheaper) way to make that happen :)

So far, I have my dad's old Meisterstück (unusable except for signatures because the nib is so broad), a Lamy 2000 (cool, but not fine enough for my handwriting even as an EF) and my new everyday writing pen - a Parker Premium Titanium, which I had fine-tuned for my mutant left-handed writing by nibs.com. Holy gently caress, this thing writes like a dream and is stylish to boot. I hear Parker quality is sometimes hit or miss, but since nibs.com check everything thoroughly before they mail it out and apply custom filing, it wasn't an issue.

Wengy fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Apr 10, 2015

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Yeah, they totally own. Have to pace myself though, ordering from them is very expensive for me due to import fees (am in Europe).

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

guppy posted:

Not entirely sure I need more pens, but I've been thinking about some of the common makes I've seen here but never used -- most of my pens are Japanese, but not out of some Japanophile fetish or anything, they're just common recommendations. And the lower-level offerings out of Japan just seem to be cheaper. The only Western pens I've used are a Lamy Safari and a Waterford (not Waterman). Other ones I have are Sailor (HighAce Neo and Reglus), Nemosine (Fission), Pilot (Cavalier, Prera, Metropolitan, and Kakuno).

Offhand, the major manufacturers I can think of that I haven't used are Parker, Sheaffer, and Waterman. Maybe Levenger but I don't know that they're as big a name. Parker has a few pens at the ~$30 level (IM, Urban), and around $60 you hit the Sonnet. Waterman and Sheaffer seem to start around $60 (except for like an $8 Sheaffer that I'm skeptical of). Levenger starts even higher, around $90.

Wondering if I should even bother, I have several pens already and I'm not sure how much more enjoyment I'd get out of some more. But I did just run out of ink in one and after I cleaned it I still got a kick out of picking a pen and ink to use next, so maybe. Anyone have strong recommendations for pens by any of these companies? I have a strong bias toward professional looking pens, although the Kakuno is real cute, and I only want pens that can take bottled ink, whether I have to buy a converter or not. I have no interest in vintage or anything I have to tune myself. I just want it to work. EDIT: Even a little picky about converters -- no pressplate ones please.

Have a Parker Premium Titanium from nibs.com and it's a loving boss pen

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Also, these are kinda driving me mad with pen lust right now, especially the blue one:

http://www.nibs.com/omas-milord-arte-italiana-art-liquid-blue.htm

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Holy poo poo, I just got a pre-owned Aurora Optima Auroloide in blue from nibs.com, and not only does it look awesome, it writes like a loving dream. Even better than my Parker Premier, which I also got from them and which writes very well. I think I'm in love. Next up: Omas Paragon Arco, maybe after I've saved up for a year or so :D Italian pens, man...

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Have been lusting after the Pelikan Stresemann for years, might finally pull the trigger soon... Does anyone here have one? Thoughts? I could get one for a decent price with the EF nib, which is usually my preference anyway, how are Pelikan's extra fines?

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Thanks for the feedback re. Stresemann! A wet EF nib is just the thing I crave, so I guess I’ll pull the trigger :)

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Ordered that extra fine Stresemann, hope it doesn’t suck. I’m falling down the pen rabbit hole again, now I really also want the M600 in turquoise/white... ffs.

Re. grading, I just got through a pile of essays using my Lamy 2k EF with J. Herbin Rouge Caroubier. For comments in the margins I use my Parker Premier EF loaded with Edelstein Aventurine (the Parker was ground to EF by that nibs.com guy, so it’s pretty much perfect). Rouge Caroubier is ok, but I’m also looking for a better grading ink, something more saturated - Caroubier doesn’t really pop enough for my taste.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Just got by first broad-nibbed pen (Pelikan M600) and I’m loving the feel of it, but I find myself having to press harder than with my EFs to get things going. Like, with my EF Parker I barely have to touch the page and it’ll write, whereas this B nib seems to have a smaller sweet spot and to require more pressure if I want to avoid hard starts (skipping isn’t a problem). Am I doing something wrong?

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

grack posted:

You're not doing anything wrong, it's likely that the tipping on your pen is overpolished. It's something that can be fixed easily enough but will require the use of Micromesh or a similar abrasive. If you don't have Micromesh or you're not comfortable using it, I'd suggest exchanging the pen if you can.

Hm, I got it from nibs.com and they’re supposed to check for this stuff before sending pens out... :(
I just gave it a thorough cleaning, unscrewed the nib, cleaned everything out, put the nib back in and reinked the pen - so far it performs much better. Hope it’s just starting pains.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

You guys are right, I just shot nibs.com an email, can’t hurt. The pen performs better now - and when it does, the nib is amazing - but I’m still getting hard starts here and there.

I can’t really send it back to the US though, shipping from Europe takes ages and the customs fee was pretty steep.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Lowness 72 posted:

Which M600 did you get by the way? One of the limited editions?

Yeah, the turquoise one. It looks amazing, wish it wrote as well...

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

effika posted:

You can always get another nib unit if you don't want to send I back. That is one of the nice things about Pelikan.

Yeah that’s brilliant. If they offer to just send me another nib I’m not gonna say no :D

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

I have a silver/titanium Parker Premier that was ground to EF by John Mottishaw. It’s a very beautiful pen and an absolute dream to write with.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Thinking about getting myself a Santini. Are they actually good?

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Also, I‘ve been out of the pen game for a while and only just now discovered that OMAS no longer exist. WTF? I‘ve always wanted one of their Arco pens but balked at the cost, now they‘re gone forever? Why does everything keep getting shittier?

Which one of the self-appointed OMAS successors is the most legit one? ASC, OMAS themselves, Scribo, Leonardo (who appear to have bought their resin stock)…?

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

howe_sam posted:

ASC bought the remaining OMAS celluloid rod stock. Scribo was founded by ex-OMAS employees. The resurrected OMAS is owned by Nahvalur, but sounds like they subcontract the pen making to ASC? Leonardo has its roots in Delta, but they have done some LEs with OMAS rod stock, because that sells like hotcakes.

So the answer to your question is how do you define legit? ASC and OMAS are like cover bands and Scribo is a new band founded by a few surviving members of the old band, but doing new things.

I have an ASC Gladiatore Medio in arco celluloid, and it's an absolutely gorgeous pen, but I don't use it much because the cap doesn't have a very good seal and ink dries out on the nib really easily.

Very good info, thanks. Probably just going to get a Scribo, their designs look awesome, feels like they‘re actually doing something new and interesting.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Went a little overboard and got a bunch of Scribos (and a Leonardo)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

howe_sam posted:

:hfive: new Scribo buddy. Vanness had a nice price on the somewhat translucent Feel Ombré Verdi, and considering my only Omas is a similar color and material I had to have it[/timg]

That looks so cool, I almost got one. I should really stop splurging on pens now, but I want more Scribos, damnit. Also, the Pilot Custom 743 in Verdigris is calling me. Help.