Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I bit the bullet on a Pilot Metro (plain silver, fine tip) from Goulet. I have never been so pumped about something so mundane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I got my Kon-Peki today. It's wonderful. Now I'm considering a Lamy Al-Star for school. In short, gently caress you people for getting me into this. :getin:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Is there a thread like this one for journals, or is this basically the general writing-on-stuff thread? I picked up a Midori Traveler today mostly to use as a school planner/journal/sketchpad. I'm not super thrilled with the quality of the blank paper insert that came with it - it's not bad, and there's almost no ghosting, but the feathering on the ink seems inconsistent and variable. For reference, I'm using Kon-Peki blue with a fine Pilot Metro. It seems like it writes just fine and then I hit the middle of the page and the letters start blooming. I don't know if it's the curvature of the page changing the angle and drawing out more ink or if it's just me, but I don't get that out of my Moleskine (which has the opposite problem of ghosting badly with dark inks.)

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
How about using it horizontally? The narrowness of the book does strike me as a bit weird, but perhaps it works better for Japanese lettering? It does seem to work very well as a general planner, which is mostly what I bought it for.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
On further inspection it seems to be limited to just this first page of the book.

The first page. The word "hope" is particularly bad. There are other spots on the page that are a bit worse.

First page again, it's pretty obvious here.

Second page seems completely fine.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
My Metro has been fine being sloshed around in my bag (so far.) Can't speak for other brands.

I got my orange Lamy Al-Star today so I decided to practice my cursive for the first time since grade school.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
*runs out into the street*

"NIB WAR!! NIIIB WAAARR"

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I got my Noodler's Apache Sunset. It was packaged atrociously, in that the padding was all pushed over to one side and the bottle was just sort of free-floating in the box. Then I opened the bottle and it was way, way overfull and instantly spilled everywhere. I had to take a napkin and soak a ton of it off the top to get it down to a manageable level. The ink also isn't as saturated as I was expecting, but there may be some water in my nib yet from my last rinse, so hopefully it will even out with time.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I swapped the orange ink into my Metro and it works a million times better. I also discovered that my converter had come loose in my bag and exploded all over the inside of the pen. Is there something about the design of the pen that it holds liquid in? I noticed it didn't explode and when I was washing it out I had to physically shake it to get the water to come out. Seems like a good design choice in the event of exactly this problem!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I got a Lamy Al-Star last week and I'm quite liking it. The extra fine nib is comparable to a Fine on a Metro and it writes like butter.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I ordered a bottle of Noodler's Borealis Black because I need a good reliable black, and it comes with a free pen that I understand has a flex nib. Is it a decent quality pen?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I don't work in an office setting but I guess from the perplexed looks I get in public using my pen that most people wouldn't think of it as something worth stealing.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

GenericGirlName posted:

I have now ordered a vac 700, an italic nib, and more ink. I thought I would enjoy my sample ink collection more but found that loading the piston was a massive hassle from the tiny tubes. I expect the vacuum method will help me want to use my samples more.

Is it weird to want to have a specific pen/ink combo? I think I'm going to get another lamy vista (broad or italic..?) just for diamine shimmering sands and never put anything else in it. Tell me this is a bad idea.

I'm waiting for a forest green Lamy AlStar for exactly the purpose so yes it's a bad idea

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Is there any way to combat nib creep or is it just a factor of the ink you use? My Lamy gets quite a but of creep (but no dripping) from my Noodler's Borealis Black.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Done

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
My friend's birthday is coming up. She's a big time journal-keeper and she loves all things teal, but had never used a fountain pen, so I got her the retro pop blue-green Metropolitan and a bottle of Emerald of Chivor. It hasn't even gotten there yet and she's already mad at me for getting her into fountain pens.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

IXIX posted:

Not sure if this is a good thread to ask, but does anyone have recommendations for handwriting exercises? I figure there's not much point in getting a decent pen if I still produce chicken scratch.

Amazon sells some Spencerian theory books and practice tablets. You can get real fancy.

My Lamy Vista should be here Monday :ohdear:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Remember the golden rule: PYDD (plug your drain, dummy)

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

inklesspen posted:

Well, now I feel dumb. Thanks though.

You made the good choice of buying the lilac Safari, so you can't be too dumb.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Do you want to mail him one of your own? It seems like the best option would just be to buy him his own bottle or samples and have them shipped directly. They know what they're doing and you have some protection if it gets packed badly.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I have 5 inks and 4 pens, one of which is a Noodler's Charlie that I don't use but got for free. I have a Copper Orange Lamy Al-Star with an EF nib that I keep loaded with Borealis Black, a Lamy Vista with a Fine nib that I keep Iroshizuku Fuyu-Gaki in, and a silver Pilot Metro Fine that I alternate with J Herbin's Lie de Thè or Iroshizuku Kon-Peki. I have a bottle of Apache Sunset that I don't really care for.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I got some J. Herbin Poissiere de Lune and it is a wonderful color. Mysterious misty night time purple that isn't garish.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I kind of want the palladium Lamy LX but it's a lot of money but I'm afraid it will sell out quickly :ohdear:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
What is the best green ink that isn't sparkly?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I like the Shin-Ryoku quite a bit, but it's hard to get a feel for how it "really" looks from photos. I'm looking for a deep spring/forest green.

I was able to get an absolutely fantastic green from a 50/50 mix of Kon-Peki and Apache Sunset (I can't remember if I posted a sample or not earlier in the thread.) Only problem is that it's super wet and I also don't want to use up my expensive Kon-Peki to make it, plus I'm a mixing amateur on top of that. I'll check out the Diamine inks.

I'm also looking at that Ku-Jaku now :kimchi:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Apache Sunset seems to work better as a mixing base than a writer in its own right.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I ended up going with a bottle of Ku-Jaku, a 1.1 Lamy stub nib and a sample of Shin-Ryoku from Goulet. I wanted to get a bottle of SR but they're out of stock of full bottles. I wish they sold the half-size bottles of Iroshizuku.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Edmond Dantes posted:

Has anybody had the chance to check out Goulet's refills for the Traveller's Notebook?

I've been eyeballing the TN for a while now and the fact that you could only use their refills put me off, but now Goulet is making their own (dot grid and tomoe river paper!) so it went right back to my watchlist, but I have no idea how good they actually are (the refills, although I'll gladly accept any opinions regarding the TN itself).

The paper on the Midori ones is good but not super great and I hear nothing but good things about Tomoe River.

I got my Ku-Jaku and my 1.1 stub and I think I'm in love.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The 0.6 seems so small to lend any noticeable "stubbiness" to your writing. Is it fairly pronounced?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I've had my eye on Black Swan in English Roses for a few months and I think Goulet just sold out of it to-day when I went to order some. I just got a sample of it and a Rhodia pad instead.

I have a white Safari and a second stub nib coming :ohdear:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
My friend got a second Nemosine Singularity and it was writing fine for a few hours and then suddenly started having severe flow issues. She tried setting the feed a little deeper and it worked okay for a little while but started having the same problem. Any ideas? She writes for a bit and then suddenly the lines start to thin out and stop writing entirely.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
My TN holder fits a Lamy Safari or Vista perfectly but it's a little tight with an Al-Star, which is very slightly thicker. I don't know how the 2000 compares to those.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The big criticism of the TN for me is that it only has one strap built into the cover. It makes fitting more than two notebooks a little awkward, as the middle one always ends up sandwiched a little funny between the others. I've seen custom ones on Etsy that have 3 strings, which seems like a better setup to me.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Noodler's Heart of Darkness gets a lot of love as a bulletproof black. I haven't tried it myself. I rather love his Borealis Black but it's unfortunately not waterproof.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Solumin posted:

Borealis Black buddy! :hfive: The chart claim's it's waterproof, but really it's water resistant at best.

As for waterproof black inks, Noodler's Black is bulletproof and quite popular, and I hear Bad Black Moccasin is supposed to be pretty good. There's also the De Artrementis Document line, which are waterproof.

I got a sample of Black Swan in English Roses last night, and I used Borealis Black for the outline of a drawing of a rose I did to test it out. It picked up a little bit of the black in the red and created some very nice shading. You can see it here with a little writing for comparison.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
What's the general opinion of Noodler's writing instruments? I ordered an Ahab and I'm kind of looking at his brush pens, but are they worth using? They're on the cheap end of course so I'm not expecting stellar quality, but are any frustrations really evident?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I got a free Charlie that I wasn't too impressed with (it vomited on the page virtually every time I used it) that had a pretty strong silicone grease smell, but that went away after a week or two. Can't really complain about it since it was a free pen.

Heath fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 23, 2016

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I mostly just want to play with a flex nib. I don't mind tinkering so much, so long as I'm not going to break poo poo doing it.

Edit: What's everyone's experience with getting counterfeit Lamy pens? I bought a white Safari from Amazon directly because I was under the assumption that Amazon themselves wouldn't sell fake poo poo, but the one I got was very off. It came with a converter for one thing, felt all-around cheaper, and the stub nib I bought with it didn't fit it at all, but it fit my other legit pens perfectly. The nib was scratched and had the logo engraved on it rather than stamped like my other pens. The body was slightly bowed as well. Total piece of poo poo. I went back and bought one from Junipers' Amazon storefront, for two dollars cheaper than the fake, and it seems to be completely legit. I'm just floored that Amazon does this.

Heath fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 23, 2016

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I'm in the returns process for it. I'm just surprised that Amazon would sell fake pens from their own distribution and that Lamy themselves don't step in and be like hey what the gently caress because that seems pretty brand-damaging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
What is "American consumer communism?"