Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

tater_salad posted:

Every collection starts with just one pen.. soon you have 10 pens and 13 inks.

Yeah, this. Especially if you discover that there are really good pens made for less than 20 bucks. Actually, the most money I spend was on a Waterman Expert and that one keeps having problems with starting slow no matter what ink I use, either waterman cartridges or Sailor ink. In fact, I could do with some help here. Should I just go and try a converter and other inks or is there something specific I can do? It is a really nice looking pen that I would like to use more.

Having said that, I have been using fountain pens since I was a small kid, we learned to write with a fountain pen in school. I remember collecting the little balls from the cartridges vividly, you had to break open the back lid off the empty cartridge with your teeth and if you were unluck you would have blue lips for a day. The small balls, I think they were glass, were then collected in another empty cargtridge that we would put in the back of our pen and over the course of the year, you would get a really nice jingling sound from your pen.
Later in High School I had a simple but nice parker which got stolen within a few weeks after getting it and my parents did not want to shell out another 40 bucks (today 80~100 I think) to have it stolen again and told me to get a ballpoint. Only when I went to college I got myself a real basic parker vector, in black, for a total cost of 12 guilders, 11 euro/dollar I on amazon these days so in effect they got cheaper. A few years back, I found it again, it got super clogged from using it with India Ink. Yes, I am stupid. So I got me a new stainless steel one and not to much later bought the Waterman I mentioned earlier.

Using the parker mostly because of the issues I had with the Waterman, I was pretty happy. However, last year I got a bit bored and ended up browsing some 2nd hand websites and I bought a series of pens, Waterman (new and used), Rotring, Parker and Sheaffer. Also I discovered that browsing ebay can be bad for your sanity. Go ahead, search for "Fountain Pen" and sort on "Price & P+P lowest first". Anyway, I got me a bunch of Jinhao and other Chinese pens, sometimes using the same sorting for other brands and try to not get in a bidding war. Only 2 or 3 Euro a piece! Not even use them for writing, just for getting a parcel from a far away land.

Then I found this thread. The damage is not that big, just some inks, a Lamy and a Pilot but yeah, a few more lined up for when I get my next bonus. Also my daughters expresses interest and as a good father I got them some Diamine inks, splurged on the full anniversary set (8 bottles for the price of 6, a real steal) and there is so much more that I need or else my life is not complete. Picture to display my weakness pending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

tater_salad posted:

I wouldn't recommend this but type in Jinhao into amazon.. they are stupid cheap.. write okay, and have lots of different styles / look like clones of other pens.

Edit: you can grow your pen collection right quick with these bad boys for pennies on the dollar. I've had 1 bum one out of 3.

No Amazon for me, living in the Netherlands they simply have no presence here. So I go to Ebay and then specifically ebay Ireland because the site is in English and currency is Euro's. Using ebay.nl will filter out a fuckton of results because of reasons I do not understand.

cobalt impurity posted:

But lord forbid we not constantly lambaste a pen for being made outside of either Za Fatherland or Glorious Nippon.

Die Heimat?

grack posted:

Speaking of cheap-but-good fountain pens you can get a Jinhao X450 off of eBay right now for $0.99 shipped.
Searching for Jinhao and sorting by P+P lowest first will get you some interesting results.

But yeah, likeky there are some crappy pens for that price, my daughters are pretty happy with their fancy stuff tho. And look, 10 standard converters for $1,50 including shipping!

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

It seems the chinese vendors keep cutting on each other's prices. Good for us, the consumer. We'll see how long this business model stays sustainable.

And the genuine Lamy Safari I bought for my daughter last week started leaking all over the place. Like big drops of ink in the cap and the ink can be shaken out easily over the sink. Is this common? I'll return it anyway to the seller but it is a bit weird.

Keetron fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Sep 10, 2015

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Have some clarity on them, I am not allowed to buy 10 at the same time for some reason. Only 1. Which is now coming my way.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

GoodBee posted:

Italy has some seemingly weird prohibitions on stuff you can ship there.

http://pe.usps.com/text/Imm/il_008.htm

I think it is about :

quote:

Haberdashery and sewn articles of any kind, including trimmings and lace; handkerchiefs; scarves; shawls, needlework including stockings and gloves; bonnets, caps, and hats of any kind.
As some (many?) of the chinese sellers sell this kind of things as well, so it is a standard thing. Maybe try and contact the sellers?

It could also be because of:

quote:

Human remains.
Chinese manufacturing is weird.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

While doing all this shopping for pens on the internet and more specifically, ebay, I have found it can be useful to check the different worldwide sites they have.

Offerings differ between:
ebay.co.uk
ebay.ie (Ireland)
ebay.nl (Netherlands)
ebay.com
ebay.ca

Also some dipshit keeps bidding over my 50cts (incl P&P) for an X450 and they tend to end up around 1,50~2,00.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

NeurosisHead posted:

Bulb syringes, the kind you use to get mucous out of an infants nose, work awesome. One of the cool things about Metro's is that the nib and feed just slide right out, making cleaning the whole thing a breeze and eliminated the need for some sort of creative forced water solution.

Thank you for this post, it came in useful when my pilot metro did not suck up any ink when trying to refill the converter:

Not sure if I should complain to the seller or try something else. The pen itself was a dream to write with but I have so many other pens I want to try out... And the inks (not pictured)

Don't send help, send me a pen.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

NeurosisHead posted:

That is a standard international converter. Pilot only uses a proprietary converter size. They're smaller than a standard international, which is probably why you bought that.

That is weird, I am certain I paid for a pilot converter. Let's check the order history...

No, paid for a standard one. Which didnt fit well when I put it in, glad I didnt gently caress up the pen.

"Ask me about fountain pens: The answer is always to get a pilot metro (which uses a proprietary cartridge and converter)"

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

It gets really strange here, I bought it as a Pilot MR Metropolitain and the site indeed says I need a standard international converter meaning that the pilot converter I ordered yesterday will be around unused for now. However, when I wanted to put in the converter I had (the pelican one, they cost a like 2,95 I had to push really hard, unreal hard to the point where I was wondering what was going to break first. Well, the converter did luckily because it is still a :20bucks: pen.
Now I got myself quite a few chinese pens with converters so I can take one from that and see if it works, the pilot converter will be here in a few days and I could even use some of the SI cartridges I have. But still, why all that strength needed?

This is the site btw:
http://www.lacouronneducomte.nl/webstore/main/pilot-metropolitan-silver-python-fountain-p-5811.html

You guys should check out the prices on the Diamine inks just to make you jealous I only pay $5 shipping per order and free over 40.

edit: I received a FPR pen and it is the worst made pen I have and the worst spend money.

Keetron fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Sep 26, 2015

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

NeurosisHead posted:

Which FPR pen?

Dilli, it was a deal of the day a while back and I was under the impression I would receive three so I figured it would not hurt to get three pens for very little money.

http://www.fountainpenrevolution.com/fpr_collection.html#dilli

Disclaimer, I did not write with it but the look and feel are super cheap as well as the finish. I like smooth, well rounded stuff and this pen just breaths "cheap". For full price plus shipping there are many, many better looking and feeling pens for much less.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Teach posted:

TWSBI Vac 580, broad nib, Parker Quink red, Conquerer office stationary paper.

That is a pretty good dickbutt.

In other news, the new Lamy Safari that was send had the same issue that when she would keep it in her schoolbag for a day, the cap would be filled with ink. Either she is extremely rough with it or those pens cannot handle being upside down or something. I will give her a jinhao 599 and see if that has the same issues or try a different brand. She wants to write with a fountain pen so she will, dammit!

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Holy poo poo, the blunt end of my Pilot Metro works as a stylus on my Samsung smartphone.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Magnus Praeda posted:

It's because the Metro is a brass-bodied pen and conducts the capacitance charge of your hand very well. Be careful that you don't inadvertently scratch the poo poo out of your screen, though. Styluses usually have those rubber tips for a reason. The metal of the pen body is still harder than the glass of your screen.

So that is why they have a nice warm feel. I understand the title of this thread more and more and would like more pen recommendations in the 20~30 euro/dollar range/

As a sidenote, my daughter got a replacement Lamy Safari as the first one leaked like a bitch but what is that poo poo, this one went to hell as well. There are huge ink stains on her jeans that will not come out and her fingers looked like she murdered a bunch of smurfs. So there we went again, remove the Lamy cartridge, flush everything under a lukewarm stream of water and try to disassemble the pen. Turns out there was a big crack in the cartridge and yes, that will cause a pen to leak. So I asked her how she put it in. She puts the cartridge in the lower end, hold it horizontally and screw on the top end. She did the same with the other pen.
After cleaning everything up, I put in the converter carefully and filled it with Diamine Blue Black 150yr. We'll see if this works and how long, it is a small amount of ink that goes in it and she is so happy with the color.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

grack posted:

That is literally exactly what I said was wrong with your daughter's pen the first time around - a cracked cartridge. Did you not bother to check before you had it replaced?

On the first one I could find no crack but I must admit I did not inspect it so closely, maybe the crack was less obvious? But don't you love to be right?
She is loving the pen now and is so happy with the BlueBlack ink I will refill it with the Sailor Blue Black next time.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

mikeycp posted:

I'm not super familiar with fountain pens, so sorry if this is a dumb question.

I had a Lamy Safari for a bunch of years and could treat it like any other pen and not have it leak.

I just recently got a Pilot Metro and it seems that if I have it in any position except straight up when not in use it leaks into the barrel and a bit into the cap. Is this a known thing with this pen and I need to change my habits with it? Or is there possibly something defective with mine?

It's a fine tip and I'm using the ink cart that came with the pen, if that matters.

Remove the cartridge, wipe it with a piece of absorbing paper and check for cracks. If no cracks, get a replacement / refund and other pen. Check youtube for cartridge placement instructions else you end up like myself in harassing a store for no reason (see post history).

Talking about Metro's, I have a Metro Python and earlier this week in a meeting it was picked up by a curious colleague and after some inspection placed back with an appreciative nod. Now I am trying to decide which animal print will be next, the black croc seems nice, but bronze lizard is cool too. White tiger for the name alone.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Luisfe posted:

Aww, there are no more 1 dollar jinhao x450s. Oh well.

Yeah , the price went up like 100%.

@grack, I am a noob, can you link?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

grack posted:

Sorry, I'm not sure what you're asking?

I mean I am unsure what pens you now showed a photo of, can you tell us more about this elusive hole in your pocket?

Also:
http://www.lacouronneducomte.nl/webstore/main/diamine-shimmering-fountain-colours-p-6945.html?language=en

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

blowfish posted:

it is a shameful pen nerd who can't identify pens on sight :smug:

Oh, sorry, I will go and feel ashamed now. Should I throw out my pens and go write with a pencil?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Toady, while writing with my Pilot Metro, the nib almost fell out. I could push the nib and that black thing below it (feed?) back into the pen. It seems solid now, there is ink on my fingers, colleagues pretend they don't notice.

I want to order all the DIamine shimmer inks. Someone here ordered the lot, how are they in real life?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

My Man Shran posted:

Edit: what horrible pen nerd things have you people done this weekend other than get your TWSBIs fixed.

Friday my bonus letter was in my inbox, since I have been pondering on what 50~60 euro/dollar pen to buy with that money. Shall I get three of the animal Metro's, a single more expensive pen or the Diamine shimmer inks? Thread, please help me shop?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

grack posted:

The last couple of converters I've gotten in Jinhao pens have been more or less non-functional. Try using a cartridge and see if it helps.

Put a converter I took from some Jinhao and put it in my Pilot Metro and it is working great.
Aside from that, you buy a Chinese $1 pen so you there is always a chance some will be low quality.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

Writing a letter to someone railing on the poltroonery of The Academy for dismissing your radical monograph on natural history in copperplate with a fountain pen is about as steampunk as you can get.

I ordered a 3 pack of Pilot Varsitys so that I can practice developing nice handwriting so people will stop making fun of my jerky scribbling. My boss giggled at my signature and asked if I had ever written in cursive before and it made me feel bad. Next time I have to sign documents I will be laying down some motherfucking sweeps and flourishes on that bitch.

Your boss is a jerk.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

grack posted:

If you want something a little classier for groomsmen, I think this would be a good option - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004NSCAA8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=6JAB2HQIUOW4&coliid=I4B92CWZDGE2A&psc=1

A little more expensive than the Parker and it's not in a gift set but I think it's a better looking pen. Add a converter, a bottle of Waterman Serenity blue and a pack of cartridges and it's not too far off the cost of the Lamy set either.

Yes they look nice and the price is very low considering the normal retail price, but both the hemispheres I have write like poo poo and Waterman cartridges evaporated to half the contents in about a year time.

For gifting they look great and for people who hardly ever use a fountain pen you would be right. If you want to bring them over to our side, Metropolitan is the way to go.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

guppy posted:

The main thing about bottles is that people tend to overbuy ink, getting lots of bottles because they want the colors. I don't recommend that. It is possible that you're considering getting inks to match each pens; I personally think that would be nuts, although I suspect others from this thread have done exactly that.

Pick a shade you like from a well-regarded manufacturer and you should have no problems. I am partial to J. Herbin and others like Waterman; both are considered good, well-formulated brands.

Do not listen to this man and buy all the inks.

GoodBee posted:

Just get a bunch of ink samples and a blunt syringe. I still haven't bought a whole bottle of ink.

Listen to this man instead. Depending on you location, some inks might be really cheap such as Diamine in Europe.
Ooooh sparkly!
95 colors?
Music!
Flowers!

The last one and the sparkly one make me super greedy. For context, I hardly write two pages a day.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

My Man Shran posted:

If you don't have at least one bottle of every shade or 10 bottles of a single color you are fond of then, well, you are doing this hobby wrong.

Do not forget to argue about it with strangers on the internet. Just look up how many blue-blacks there are and everyone has a different favorite. Would be much simpler if everyone would agree that Sailor blueblack is the best blueblack.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Brightman posted:

While I agree that it looks amazing, Sailor blue-black is a pigmentedl ink and has sediment in it that you have to be wary of when using in a fountain pen. Like if you forget to use the pen for a while or neglect to clean it then it can get clogged.

Fake edit: I found out they make a blue-black that is water based now so...gently caress...might need to get me some of that.

This would actually explain the troubles I kept having with one of my Watermans, it still wrote lovely with cartridges. The dried out ones, yes, why you ask?
Time to take those pens apart and try some Diamine magic on em.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

grack posted:

And if she doesn't like the colours of the two you got, well, two more fountain pens for you! I see no problem with this plan.

There are only upsides. To be sure, buy four in case she likes the Metro's and you are left without those two.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

QuantumNinja posted:

Where can I get some good stationary? Preferably custom, but anything nice will do. and I'd like A5. I was thinking about trying out Goulet's Crown Mill stuff.

http://www.lacouronneducomte.nl/webstore/main/paper-c-293.html?language=en

They have a wide selection and you might be able to find a shop closer? Either way, my personal fav is http://www.lacouronneducomte.nl/webstore/main/clairefontaine-triomphe-p-2285.html

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

So would this be cheap or what
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Pelikan-4001-Blue-Washable-ink-1000-ml-bottle-33-82-Oz-/290864289085

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Seriously, what is the deal with a VP? I mean, why the love? They are ugly and you cant even see the nob properly when writing, which I think is one of the benefits of a fountain pen.

Still a nice deal if you like them, I guess.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Where are you.? Someone could forward?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Got some stuff and this is a surprisingly lovely photo:

The inks are:
Diamine Grape 30ml
Diamine Golden Brown 30ml
Diamine Graphite 30ml
Diamine Oxblood 30ml
Diamine Ancient Copper 30ml
Pilot MR Metropolitan White Tiger
Diamine Shimmering Night Sky

The books are Paperblank notebooks that I paid an obscene amount for but they are so awesome and all my colleagues are either jealous or fools.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

grack posted:

Pilot Metropolitan Retro Pop + Pilot Plumix and switch the nibs.

The answer is always to get a pilot metro.

edit: or some weird chinese knock-off
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/all-wholesale-products/1078830.html

Ordered this, will provide a trip report in 6 weeks when it is finally here.

Keetron fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jan 27, 2016

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm having a hard time imagining a gray ink since to me, black on a fine nib already comes out kind of gray. I'm trying to get a disgustingly goth black ink to compensate . . . whenever the place I order from decides to actually send the stuff out the door.

True this, I have been writing with grey and while yes, it is grey, I get the impression my pen with black ink is running low.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

How much do you all actually write?

Differentiates obviously but some weeks I write multiple pages daily, other weeks hardly a page total.

Either way, I have found that the sparkly ink from Diamine does not keep well if it is in the pen a bit longer. It has a tendency to clog the nib/feed. And remember we are talking a perfectly fine Pilot Metro White Tiger (teehee) here.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

How to wait a while to see the price go down.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Hey guys, listen! Diamine Carnival Red is not waterproof! DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT bump into your fill glass of water you keep at your desk to hydrate yourself. (this is why smart people have waterbottles)

This is after drying and damage control, the surrounding pages have wonderful red stripes all over the place.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

I am so happy, you guys make me feel normal.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Quit gettin mad at videogames fountainpens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

grack posted:

I have the sudden urge to buy the ugliest, nastiest fake Montblanc I can find.

Maybe I posted a link above but alibaba is the place to be!