Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Fake-Edit: context for the last paragraph - I still haven't used it since I received it a year ago or so, so I'm not even sure it works.

Thirst Mutilator fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

How does the Pilot Metropolitan compare to the 78G? I've been using a 78G at home and enjoy it for light to moderate use, but I dislike how flimsy it feels at time. Is the Metropolitan much heftier with the usual, smooth pilot writing experience?

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

tater_salad posted:

So when do the pen related questions get answered?
1. Is normal paper okay or will an fp bleed through?
2. Dry time for normal fp ink? Is it normal or is it long? My plan is to get a cheapo disposable fp then get a metro if I like fps I tend to diagram out a lot of stuff and shuffle papers around quickly after writing is this an issue?

1. I don't notice bleedthrough on notebooks I've picked up from Staples, but I write with a few decent, starter level pens (Lamy Safari, Pilot 78G).
2. Dry time is going to depend on a bunch of factors and the biggest will be paper quality and pen wetness. With my own it doesn't take more than maybe 5 seconds after I've written a word.

If you're going to write with a cheapo disposable like a Pilot Varsity, I think you're going to notice problems with bleed through on bad paper and long dry times because they tend to be very wet writers to compensate for people just not knowing how to use them. I'll echo the advice above - picking up a Metropolitan for ~$15 is a better idea than picking up any disposable ones because it'll give you an idea of what fountain pens are REALLY like.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Is there any way for me to get just a Pilot Metro fine nib without ordering a whole new pen? I haven't been able to find something like that, but my google fu may just be weak.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

cobalt impurity posted:

A Pilot Metro with an F nib is $15. A replacement nib for a Lamy Safari is $12.50. You aren't saving much even if they did sell the nibs separately.

e: or buy a Kakuno from Jet Pens. They're $13.75 and you get either a smiley or winky face on your new nib! ;·)

ooo, I am a sucker for that kind of thing. I'm guessing the nibs between the Kakuno and the Metro are similar/the same?

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Swagger Dagger posted:

Anybody have recommendations for cheapish pens with screw caps and clips? Those are the big requirements for my GF. She had a Monteverde Artista Crystal that basically never worked right, so we need to replace it with something. I was thinking TWSBI Eco, since she likes my TWSBI 580 but doesn't want to spend 50 bucks on a pen.

The Pilot 78g is a plastic Metropolitan with a screw cap. You'll probably need to order one from an Chinese retailer on eBay though. I almost like it more than my Metro and Safari

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Tulip posted:

Yea it's for flushing not ink. Use a cartridge and syringe, that's my preference at least.

wait whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat. I've been using it as a converter this entire time!

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

The barrel on my Metro cracked a long time ago, but I just started getting back into bullet journaling. I could afford to get a nicer pen - is there a decent breakpoint breakdown chart for what I get for cost? The Pen Addict listed the Platinum 3776, which seems to be ~$170 on Jetpens but Amazon has listings around $100 (if they can be trusted), which doesn't strike me as insane given that Metro's seem to run around $25 right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Anyone have experience with the TWSBI Diamond? Kind of in the market for a compact fountain pen, so could use any other recommendations.

Alternatively (and somewhat off topic but I couldn't find a better thread to ask and this one seems the most relevant): is there an alternative to the Fisher Space Pen that writes finer than their "fine" size? I'm not so in love with the idea of carrying a fountain pen around with me every day in my pockets, and the Space Pen Bullet is perfect for me aside from it being a little wide for my tastes.