Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Verdugo posted:

Got my Hero 616 the other day. I must have lucked out because it writes nice. The included converter SUCKS however. A silicone bladder and really crappy metal housing over it. Took forever to get it filled to a decent level. If it didn't have a tiny hole in the end I'd be tempted to convert it to an eyedropper pen.

I have the best luck pulling the housing off and just giving that ink sack 5-6 good squeezes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

While we're matching colors, can anybody recommend a close equivalent to El Lawrence from Noodler's? It's one of my favorite inks, but it stains everything it touches pretty severely. I'd go nuts over a similar color that I wouldn't have to worry so much about actually filling my pens with.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

GabrielAisling posted:

Are there any pens in the $30-$50 range that either have an italic nib or can take a separate italic nib, and are prettier than a lamy pen? I have a Lamy Joy with a 1.1 steel nib. It writes as well as I expect it to, not as beautifully as a very nice, expensive pen, but well enough for my use. Thing is, even after having it for six months, I still think it's the ugliest thing. I don't like any of the Lamy designs, though. The Joy is a Safari with a longer body, the 2000 looks like it was extruded from a 3D printer. The caps on their lower-end pens are the ugliest.

I would really recommend buying a Pilot Metropolitan and a Plumix and swapping the nibs. It'll still run you only around $30 and you get a great looking metal pen with a really fun nib. I also have a Noodler's Konrad with a Monteverde stub nib (which you could use one of the Goulet Pens nibs as well for probably a few bucks less) If you want to go closer to (and past) the 50 dollar mark, go for a TWSBI Diamond 540. I'd stick with the 1.1 as has been stated above, as the 1.5 is a pretty significant line.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

laertes22 posted:

I think I am leaning towards a Pilot/Namiki, as I was just blown out of the water by the Pilot Metropolitan. Can someone talk about the Pilot Vanishing Point vs. the Namiki Falcon?
For example, what are the pros and cons of each? your personal experiences with each? How are their respective reputations? (is one regarded as "better"; or does one have a common flaw or problem?). Or, is there a better Pilot/Namiki pen in the same price range that I am possibly overlooking?

My Metal Falcon is one of my favorite pens to write with. It's an extra hundred dollars from the Namiki Falcon, but the only difference are the rhodium coating on the nib and the slightly wider metal body.
Mine is a soft fine, which draws a fine line normally and has just a bit of flex to it. You won't get the crazy copperplate stuff you can get with a full on flex nib, but I really love the feel of it when writing, and applying just a bit of a heavy hand can make your handwriting look pretty neat.

There has been a lot of love for the VP in this thread, and I think it'll be my next big purchase. I'd give it a close look online (and try one in a shop if it's a possibility) and decide if it's a pen you'd enjoy. The big disadvantages as I understand it are drying faster (as was noted just above) and it's harder to clean.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

A Dirty Sock posted:

You can use the Preppy without a converter since Noodler gives you a silicon o-ring. Fill the bottom with ink and you're good to go.

In addition, the preppies that come with the larger bottles of Noodler's inks are missing the piece of plastic that grips the convertor/Platinum cartridge. They're eyedropper only.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

JP Money posted:

I'm also resisting the temptation to use the Baystate Blue in fear that it will gently caress things up for my Safari :(

Keep up that resistance. That pen in particular will definitely have a bad time with BSB, it tends to chew up those Lamy feeds quite severely.

Don't get me wrong - I love the color, but it stays in a dedicated Preppy eyedropper that not only handles the ink like a champ (albeit with plenty of staining), it's easy to their out and replace should it ever suffer a catastrophic failure.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

mulls posted:

Gouletpens.com sells empty bottles. I use empty Lamy bottles as inkwells, but I can also highly recommend Sailor and Namiki bottles, as they have a little reservoir inside the bottle that holds ink near the opening and makes it super easy to fill.

Was going to mention this, just keep in mind that they don't stock Montblanc ink - so they don't have the really cool 'shoe' ink bottle.

I'm doing a few extra side jobs this weekend, so I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a VP and some J. Hebin Vert Olive. Can't wait to give it a try!

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Edmond Dantes posted:

I demand a review of Oxblood and Red Dragon when you get your hands on them, I ended up getting Tiananmen but Red Dragon may very well be the next one I get my hands on.

I forgot about this. I absolutely love Oxblood. It's a gorgeous color, and a very similar shade to Tiananmen - only without the insane dry times I experienced when I was trying out my Tiananmen sample. Honestly my biggest problem with Oxblood is that it's such a perfect ink for my burgundy Metal Falcon that I really have trouble filling it with anything else.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

milpreve posted:

How long can you leave an eye dropper Preppy inked for before you start dealing with drying, in general? Same question for Metro! I know that inks can vary, but a ballpark estimate. With dip calligraphy, I always clean up to pack up, but for class pens I'd like to know if I can fill it and forget it for a week or so.

Unrelated: should I have to shake HoD? It looks like something settled on one side of the vial in transport. Will I have to shake the pen before use?

If the cap is still tight, at least a month plus for the Preppy, due to that crazy cap. The Metro will be a bit of a hard start after a week or so.
This is of course in my experience, yours may vary.

HoD I don't think you'd see much difference, but I recommend (gently) shaking any ink before you fill from it. Pen before use, not at all. Anything you'll write for at least a page is in the feed already anyway.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

My VP showed up today! Why the hell didn't I buy this thing sooner? It's so freaking cool!

I'm less impressed with the J Herbin Vert Olive I bought. It's really light, especially with a fine nib. But you live and learn.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Brightman posted:

For nib comparisons Goulet Pens has this tool that shows you how each pen writes with each nib: Nib Nook

If you really want to go in for insane capacity I might recommend the Vac 700. drat thing never seems to run out of ink. Only thing I have with a better capacity than that is the Preppy Eyedropper that comes with HoD, and actually I'm not sure of that since my Vac has a finer nib than the Preppy and so far I haven't had to refill it.

I'm almost sure that the 580 holds just a bit more ink than the Vac 700, due to the width of the barrel and the rod inside.

My 580 has a 1.1mm sub, which I find to be a bit of a hard-starter more often than not. My Vac 700 has a broad nib (the Jowo one), and is an absolute dream to write with.

For anyone choosing between the two I'd recommend giving them both a look (they're both gorgeous, honestly) and deciding how much the cool factor of a vacuum filler is worth.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

PlushCow posted:

Thanks for the replies, I'll take another look at the vac700 and the Nib Nook tool - definitely helpful that page is. Now to just decide a couple new colors (a brown??) of inks to try out beyond the black I have :)

Months ago I thought it was silly to spend $20 on just one pen, ONE PEN, I could get a box of ballpoints with that, but now spending $100+ on a pen and some inks I just don't know sometimes! :psyduck:

Admittedly it's more costly than the one pen you planned on months back, but Iroshizuku Tsukushi is an absolutely gorgeous brown with just a bit of red in it. Definitely worth a look/ink sample at least

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

404notfound posted:

Depends on how you hold the pen when you write. I think a good way to think of it is like the triangular grip of the Safari. The VP clip is like that spot between the two flat parts of the Safari's grip.

This. Grab your favorite pen and look at your grip. If your finger touches your thumb it may bother you, if it doesn't, then you'll be good to go.

Also holy poo poo with that maple. I don't want to spend that much on a pen, but I'm feeling some temptation on this one.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Edmond Dantes posted:

So, I'm quite happy with my Lamy CP1, but I want to get another itallic pen; should I go for the Safari, or the Metropolitan and switch nibs with a Plumix? I was thinking the Safari, but I'm open tu suggestions.

Thanks.

I prefer the Metro personally, but the Lamy will give you more width options for their stub nibs (the Plumix nib is ~1mm).

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

droneboat609 posted:

I just ordered some Varsity disposable fountain pens by Pilot, thought i would give some cheaper ones a try before going to get a nicer one. Looking forward to how it turns out.

You'll be just like us soooon!

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

TopherCStone posted:

Whenever you're at a desk or something just have paper there and write, doodle, whatever. I find it helps me practice my technique while also helping me think. I get fidgety when I'm bored so it's also good to have something to occupy my hands

Pretty much this. I always keep a Rhodia dotpad on my desk at work to doodle on our make quick notes with. I'd probably have trouble functioning without it, really.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

milpreve posted:

Is there any way to fix nib creep? Or should I just never put Noodler's Upper Ganges Blue in my Metro ever again?

Also, in my new Plumix the feed and nib come out really easily, but I still haven't gotten the feed out of my Metro. It's amazing how much more ink cleaned out. However, there is a lot of ink inside the section just before the nib and feed exit the pen. Is this normal? I can attach a photo later if need be.

It kind of is, ink gets up where the cartridge/converter fits in and it's way noticeable with the clear section. I was able to clean mine decently well with a blunt tip syringe I usually use for ink and a bit of patience.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Heads up, the Goulet Pen Company just hit 5000 likes on Facebook and are offering a free bottle of Noodler's ink with a purchase of $25 or more with promo code FB5000.

I snagged a Platinum desk pen and some Apache Sunset.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Solkanar512 posted:

My brother has a pair of the Minis for just that purpose and he's had no issues of note.

In other news, the Goulet folks are reporting that the "TWSBI Classic" will be out in mid-November for around $50. Hell yeah!

I'm good with that. My problem is with that gorgeous rose gold accented Diamond 580. It looks amazing. But I already have a 580...and two 540s.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

My Platinum desk pen showed up today. Now I just need to decide whether to put in the carbon black cartridge or try out this new 54th Mass.

Edit: vvvv I don't know about Lamy stubs, but my TWSBI ones do tend to be hard starters with more inks, at least four me.
I'll go ahead and throw the 54th in and let you know how it goes!

SnakesRevenge fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Oct 12, 2013

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Kerbtree posted:

It's not that sac that I can't remove, it's the actual body. I can remove the barrel, and gently tease out the nib and feed, but that's it. I'm rather suspicious that they're fakes. Still, I'll do what I can with them.

Guess I'll have to buy more Dukes. :china::hf::homebrew:

It has some type of glue in there. Soak it in some hot water for 5-10 minutes and it should come off.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

aldantefax posted:

Yay, my first 14k nib pen - and it's hella older than me! Wahl Eversharp Symphony 713 flex nib. :whatup:

Nice buy! I've been wanting to try an Eversharp flex for a long time.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

If anyone has been on the fence about a Vac 700, the price is dropping to $65. It's seriously one of my favorite pens and this is a crazy deal - so buy it!

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Tilda posted:

Can I ask for a bit of advice please folks. I bought a Lamy Safari on the recommendation in this thread as my 2nd fountain pen. I love it, but the way I hold my pen vs. the way the 2 finger grooves are positioned don't quite match up.

Is it possible to rotate the lower part of the barrel with the two finger cut-outs? Or rotate the nib in relation to these?
I suspect not, but thought I'd ask and hope to be proven wrong.

Thanks

It might be. It's been a while since I pulled mine apart, but you can pull the nib and feed all the way out of the section, and I don't think there's anything preventing you from putting it back in a little rotated. You'll need to remove the cartridge/converter and I'd recommend flushing it out first as well.

Edit: I got home and checked and it turns out I'm a liar, the underside of the feed is 'keyed' so it won't go in when rotated - unless you're willing to modify it a bit, of course.

SnakesRevenge fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Nov 2, 2013

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

teraflame posted:

I'm sick of noodler's flex not working right. Are there any other alternatives?

For full on flex your best bet is a vintage pen 100%

There are some soft nibs from Pilot, like the one on the Falcon, which will get you some (small) line variation, and flex nibs from Richard Binder are available on Edison pens (though that will cost you many, many times what the Noodler's did)

What is bugging you on the pen? I was a lot more satisfied with my Ahab after preforming a quick modification to the nib with a Dremel ( following instructions from this thread ).

SnakesRevenge fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 28, 2013

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

dino. posted:

My Plat Preppy was skipping like crazy with that stupid cartridge they included with it. Purple pen, purple ink. I loved the ink colour, but the skipping was driving me spare. Converted that sucker to an eyedropper with the silicon grease I'd ordered from Goulet (I forgot the stupid o rings :gonk: but still), and no skips at all. Feels good, man.

I'm not loving the free pen that came with the bottle of Dragon's Napalm. It's hella scratchy, even on Rhodia paper. I'm thinking I'll just get another preppy, and convert that thing. I live in Manhattan so I probably need to visit the Fountain Pen Hospital at some point anyway.

Gave the Plumix and Pelikano the side-eye to see if I could eye-dropper those bad boys, but they both have holes. WHY WITH THE HOLES. Oh well. The cartridges are looooong, and I'm OK with using that syringe thingy.

Sick with cartridges on the Plumix if you want my advice. I plugged one up to use as an eyedropper once and had ink blots like you wouldn't believe anytime it was less than half full.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Verdugo posted:

The free pen that comes w/ Noodler's is a Preppy. It's just missing the branding on the outside. The pen is identical to my medium point nib Preppy.

Pretty sure the 4.5 oz Dragon's Napalm has the same weird pen that comes with Nikita. Not sure just what it is.

E:

SnakesRevenge fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Dec 4, 2013

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

cobalt impurity posted:

A couple of Noodler's inks come with Nib Creeper pens. They're kind of lovely, like most Noodler's pens, but they're really made to be cheap and easy to repair/modify, not to be good writers.

That's still something else. It could be the same nib maybe, but the nib creeper is a piston fill, and this one is a straight eyedropper.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Cactus-Piss posted:

My job requires a lot of paperwork at the moment, healthy bit of reminder notes, then the other half is insurance paperwork. So that kind of eliminates the Vanishing point, I was looking at the Stargazer(s) and the Falcon both Metal and Resin since the capacity seems to be more.

The Metal Falcon has a ton more capacity than the resin one, as it has a wider body and fits a con-70 converter. It's an absolute joy to write with and is offered in xf, though I hear that nib can be a tiny bit scratchy (mine is a f).

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

milpreve posted:

I got a TWSBI Vac 700 for Christmas! My first pen with fine nib, and my first >$15 pen. Other than unscrewing the back for long periods of writing, any other tips?

When you have the back unscrewed, don't absent-mindedly pull out the piston a tiny bit. Bad things will result.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

The TWSBI Classic is available on the TWSBI website. I've ordered direct from them a couple of times with great results. I'm thinking I'll likely order one in burgundy tomorrow. Just have to decide between B and 1.1...

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Folderol posted:

Anyone have a relatively new TWSBI 580? I had sworn off them after dealing with cracking issues on two pens, but the limited capacity I've been dealing with on my Lamy Studio is driving me crazy and I see TWSBI claims to have fixed its issues with a new plastic. Do the new versions hold up or is there still a cracking problem?

I bought one right when they came out and have had no problems with it. Hasn't suffered any drops or anything to really stress test it though.

E: if you actually meant that you'd sworn off the 580 after problems rather than the 530/540 then I'm sorry for my worthless reply.

SnakesRevenge fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Feb 7, 2014

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

kim jong-illin posted:

Can I use a Pilot Plumix as an eyedropper fill or is that asking for trouble?

A friend of mine did and had a lot of trouble with ink blots. It could be better with a different ink (his had Diamine Apple Glory), but I honestly think that skinny barrel just gets heated up by your hand too easily.

E: vv he plugged his up.

SnakesRevenge fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 7, 2014

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Audax posted:

I highly suggest getting some needles and using those, especially if you can see how much you need to fill in.

So quick, so much cleaner. You can also wear disposable gloves. Say goodbye to dirty hands.

How on earth do you fill an aerometric-syle pen with a syringe?

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

powderific posted:

After buying two Pilot Parallels and a stub nib for my Diamond 530, I only want to write with stub nibs. Not sure how I wound up liking them so much as for quite a while I only wanted the finest tips possible. Anyway, who other than TWSBI makes nice stub/italic nibbed pens?

What are you willing to spend? I finally pulled the trigger on an Edison pen with a 1.5 stub and I absolutely love it. I'm also a big fan of my italix pens, though they're a sharp italic rather than a stub.
You can also go with Lamy (though I have no experience with their stub nibs) or Pilot - I really love my metro that I swapped a plumix nib on to.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Thelonious Monk posted:

Anyone here own an Edison? I'm thinking about getting a Pearl with a 14k flex nib. How's the quality of the finish? From what I understand the customer service is second to none. I also like my pens buttery smooth.

I recently snagged a Collier with a 1.5mm stub, and it's fantastic. Smooth writer, and it's not a hard-starter like my TWSBI stubs are.
The pen is acrylic and gorgeous as can be. The one thing that caught me a bit off guard was how huge the thing is, though the Pearl is significantly smaller.

By 14k flex you mean one of Richard Binder's nibs, yeah? Let me know how it is if you end up pulling the trigger. I've been interested in one of those for a while now.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Been practicing with my Parallels. I think it's coming along pretty well so far.

SnakesRevenge fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 27, 2014

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

teraflame posted:

I'd like to try a stub nib for maximum shading. How can I do this cheaply? I have a pilot 78g and a lamy safari.

Lamy offers stub nibs that will fit on the Safari.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Joe Videogames posted:

I have a Montverde Impressa in red/gunmetal in my shopping basket. Anyone have experience with these pens? It looks slick as heck.

I bought one myself. I love the look of it and the spring clip. I bought mine with a fine nib, which I find a bit dry, and I have had a problem once or twice with it getting jostled and leaving ink from the cap in the section.

Once it's empty I'll probably swap the nib with a Monteverde stub I currently have in a Konrad and see how that performs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

I lost the cap to a TWISBI Vac 700 today :negative:

Email customer service. When I busted the cap on mine Philip replaced it for me right away and only asked for shipping.