Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!
So I've got like a billion ink samples and I've been thinking of compiling a list of inks that don't stain/stick and are good for demonstrators. Would anyone here be interested in that when I get into gear and get it put together?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

I plunked down the whopping $18 for a Metro. Where might I get an EF (I quite liked my Vac 700's EF nib line until I lost the pen) nib?

Jetpens sells the Pilot Penmanship for <:10bux: if you wanted to snag one of those to cannibalize the nib for your metro.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Solumin posted:

It looks like they up their set really poorly -- it's trying to redirect to localhost!

"It works fine for me!" -IT guy

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

If you have any way to try out a Lamy 2000 before buying one I'd definitely recommend it. They tend to have a bit of a narrow "sweet spot", so if you do much rotating of your pens at all while writing you may have some trouble.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Opera Bitch posted:

I bought a Noodler's Konrad Ebonite Flex fountain pen a few months ago for journal writing but despite trying to adjust the flex and nib the thing has leaked ink from day one. Any input on how to get it to stop turning my hands into Rorschach canvases?

Make sure you clean out the cap as well as adjusting stuff. It's easy for standing ink in the cap to end up on the section and stain fingers that way.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

Has anyone tried the pilot/namiki falcon with a soft nib? They are way more than I usually spend, but a smooth, reliable flex nib (aka NOT Noodler's) might be worth it.

Alternately, are there any sources for functional/refurbished vintage flex pens at around $80?

As has been said, it's a 'soft' nib rather than a flex, so if crazy flexy writing is what you're after go for something vintage.

I should mention though it is an absolute joy to write with mine, definitely one of my favorites in my collection.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Xun posted:

Whats the consensus on a noodler konrad flex pen? Some of the reviews say it leaks ink but others seem perfectly fine.

Consensus is sometimes it leaks ink, sometimes it's fine.
Quality is really a mixed bag with all Noodler's pens, and often you're going to have to fiddle with them to end up with something that works well.

If that's something you're willing to do, you can get one relatively inexpensively and have the freedom to mess around in more radical ways without as much risk as you'd have otherwise. If you want something that Just Writes Well, you'll want to go elsewhere.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

neongrey posted:

http://www.wonderpens.ca/category_s/1857.htm

I think this just went up on Wonder Pens? I don't remember seeing them the other day, anyway. A $15 piston-fill sounds interesting, at least.

I have two of these, and I absolutely hate them. Cheap, leaky garbage imho.
If you need a piston, go for a TWSBI.

vv: Nothing wrong with browsing, and maybe somebody else here has a different different opinion, but those are the only pens I have that I legitimately dislike (including my Jinhao and Hero pens)

SnakesRevenge fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jun 8, 2014

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

pienipple posted:

the FPR Dilli looks very similar to the Noodler's Konrad, I think they may be made in the same place.

Wut?

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

EnsGDT posted:

Which Lamy nib size would be the most like my Pilot Metropolitan fine nib that I love so much?

XF

E: http://www.gouletpens.com/Nib_Nook_s/1114.htm

SnakesRevenge fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

rio posted:

Are any of the Noodler's flex pens worth it? I had an Ahab that was fun, but I ended up tinkering with it more than writing with it. In fact, it was tinkered to death when I accidentally pushed in the feed too far and broke it trying to get it back out. I will probably get another one regardless, but was just wondering if any of them are better than the others.

If any are "better" it's going to be based on asthetics (style, colors. etc) or plain old luck-of-the-draw (less fiddling needed).

So basically, no.