Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

coop52 posted:

So far I've had good luck with Iroshizuku inks. Honestly I've had more issues with getting ink on my hands while filling my converters than with actually writing. I find that I tend to naturally shift to more of an underwriter position with a fountain pen. I'm more of a sidewriter with a ballpoint or a pencil. I haven't tried using Rhodia or other recommended papers for fountain pens. I'm having a good experience so far with my Threshold brand notebook from Target (this one link) , however it's probably not the "ideal" paper. I tend to impulse buy notebooks with cute covers, so I have a bunch I need to go through before I get any more.

Have you tried using blunt tip needles and syringes to fill your ink converters? I find it a lot easier that way since it leaves no mess on your fingers - plus, it’s quicker to fill the whole thing instead of twisting the converter multiple times. You can get some at your local pharmacies or online on places like Amazon. If you happen to have a Daiso near you, they also sell pipettes and good paper brands like Maruman and Kokuyo for cheap! It’s where I’m getting all of my fountain pen-friendly paper since stuff like Tomoe River is way too expensive :smith:

On another note, hi thread! I very, very recently got introduced to fountain pens (like a few weeks ago) and am enjoying writing with them a lot. I took up Keetron’s offer on adopting some old pens they weren’t using to start learning how to write with one - they were super generous and sent over 7(!) pens plus some ink (a pen prefilled with Iroshizuku Yama-budo, Diamine Writer’s Blood 30 mL bottle) and paper samples!

Besides the ones I have inked up, there’s also a Noodler’s Ahab flex pen and an unknown Sheaffer pen. I think I’ve identified it as a Sheaffer Prelude manufactured in the U.S. around 1990; unfortunately I don’t have its converter, though, so I can’t test it out. I didn’t know what the Waterman was at first, but it’s apparently a Waterman Forum from the ~1980-90s.

It’s hard to tell which pen is “better” since I don’t have any prior experience with fountain pens, but the ones I’ve tried so far are all comfortable to write with for me. My favorite keeps switching between the TWSBI 580s and Lamy depending on the day, time, and paper. I like the Waterman, but it keeps running into the problem of not starting when I leave it sitting capped for a day or two. Not sure what’s causing it since I already flushed it with soapy water and cleaned it before use. I guess that’s what happens when it hasn’t been written with for a decade?

I like all of my inks so far, but my favorite inks are probably the Taccia ones which I got as samples from a friend. Taccia Sabimidori is what I use to take notes at work, but Tsuchi is really nice in the TWSBI Go broad nib!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

mikeycp posted:

i've had bad luck with modern flex nibs. i generally prefer fude nibs for kinda vaguely similar line variation nowadays

Fude nibs are cool! I’ve had a lot of fun using the Sailor Hocoro as my cheap gateway into both dip pens and fude nibs. The larger nibs (fude, 2.0) also come with a reservoir feed, so it’s possible to write sentences instead of dipping after every word which I appreciate.