Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
These oversized luxury pens are getting out of hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I really like my e95s! Get a Japanese one though if you go for it later, it's like 50 bucks cheaper for the same pen.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Trustworthy posted:

Whoa the medium italic out of this Plumix is basically still a western extra fine with a little added line variation. There's definitely a place for it in my pen collection, but the hole it's filling is on the opposite side of my 1.1mm than what I was expecting.

That Gothic script project will have to wait a little longer... :sweatdrop:

it's really useful for some line variation in your daily writing since it's not so huge. If you need something bigger there are the Pilot Parallels which are actual calligraphy pens and come in 4 sizes or if you just want a nib you can shove into a pen Goulet has a 1.5mm italic in a #6 nib and Fountain Pen Revolution has some italics in various sizes that come in #5 and #6 sizes. actually just checked and they only have a 1mm stub sorry

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 7, 2017

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
if you want tiny pick up a Pilot Penmanship for that Japanese EF. I keep doing dumb poo poo like putting a Noodler ink into the pen I have it on or writing on crappy paper and then wondering why it keeps silting up or getting clogged with paper fibers :negative: It's like writing with the point of a needle.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I use it mostly for filling out forms that only provide very tiny boxes or short lines but when it has ink I try to keep it in the rotation but wonder sometimes if it's worth it since the F works just as well and is much easier to write with.

I did get an EF on my e95s and since it's slightly soft it writes more like a larger size. My general preference is for a big fat italic nib but most of the time it's just not practical and I do enjoy having a variety of sizes to apply to whatever need might arise.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

NeurosisHead posted:

I think that if I was going to buy a lilliput I'd buy the fireblue for the color. I prefer having a full size pen in hand over a pocket pen without the need to post to get there. They're just annealed steel, but annealed steel is really really pretty.

I love how those look and I'm also a fan of the pocket pen size but really can't justify spending that much on a pen right now so it's perpetually wishlisted.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

grack posted:

You could just get a stainless steel version and go at it with a blowtorch.

that's a thought, not that I have a blowtorch or would have any idea how to use one
e: pretty sure I saw a post somewhere that a guy DIY'd this to a cheaper steel pen and it did look pretty cool.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
new sparkly Jinhao x750 was in my mailbox when I got home :toot:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Careful with Noodler's highlighter inks and staining as well, btw.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I keep a pen inked with one of his bulletproof inks just for addressing envelopes. I'm not worried about anyone erasing my checks but considering how completely a little water removes some inks from paper I want to make sure the stuff I'm mailing stays addressed even if it gets rained on a little.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Iznogood posted:

There must be SOMETHING bad about these pens.

probably don't put it in your mouth and chew on it unless you like lead poisoning

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Iznogood posted:

Seriously where can I find this story about the noodler's guy? Not doubting but at this point it looks like it could be quite the read!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIXyBr3-af0
Just a small sample.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Did you have any trouble swapping the nibs? I was going to stick a different #6 nib in my x750 and it was too thick vs the one it came with and I nearly couldn't get it apart again.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
lol true, I hosed up the feed a little getting it out so I might get another one or two since they're like $2.50 on AliExpress and do a bit of swapping around. I have one that writes really well with the factory nib but the one on my sparkly one sucks and I wanted to change it out.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I possibly have a whole plumix body without a nib, I don't remember if I tossed it or not (because I hate it and was never going to write with it -- bought it entirely to take the nib out). I can send it to you if I still have it, I'll check the deepest corners of my desk when I get to work.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

MY PALE GOTH SKIN posted:

Why do you hate it? I wish it were heavier, but it's.. Pretty okay? I know nothing about pen quality tbh. I just went with "cheap and known." So I'm curious, not defensive.

If you find it, please let me know! I can pay shipping or send some ink samples back if you like.

I was only in my office for about 10 minutes today so I forgot to look but I will try to remember to check tomorrow. I just dislike the shape of it and how it feels in my hand -- tried it out the first time I got one and really hated writing with it so now I just harvest the nibs whenever I need to stick on in a Metro. I know I tossed one, but I bought two -- one was a replacement after I dropped my metro nib down and bent the hell out of it -- so the second one might still be in my pen stuff.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cindy Shitbird posted:

Speaking of the Metro, mine just used up its included ink. I'm torn on whether I should just get a pack of cartridges, or get a CON-50 and some more interesting ink(s)...but I have a feeling this thread will suggest the latter.

get the cartridges AND the interesting inks, and a syringe for refilling the cartridges when they're empty

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
:shrug: I periodically buy a new pack of cartridges so I can give up on them when they get too nasty or I'm feeling too lazy to clean one out, it's just handy to have a few empties on hand plus I have multiple Pilot pens and need enough to go around. Plus it's handy to have a sealed cartridge if I want to carry some extra ink around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
priming alternatives - hold it on a wet paper towel or some absorbent paper, quick dip in a little water, sharp downward shake (risky but I do this one a lot lol :downs: )