Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.
Why are all the <$30 pens so ugly? Bulky, inelegant plastic bodies everywhere. Is something at least as nice looking as a $3 ballpoint really asking so much? Hell, even the Pilot Varsity I've been using is nicer looking than some of the pens I've seen today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

My pens got here today! No pictures yet because imgur hates me and my phone. But here's the haul.

- Lamy Joy Calligraphy, 1.1 steel nib
- Hero 5028 Calligraphy Set in purple
- Guanleming Calligraphy Pen (it was $5 and if I don't like it, will be given to a professor I dislike.)
- Hero 329 older version in green
- That free pen that comes with Noodler's inks.
- Noodler's Heart of Darkness

I've inked up the Lamy, the Hero calligraphy and the noodler's pens. The other two will get inked eventually, but I've only got the one color right now, so I'm gonna hold out for more colors.

Upon inspection in person, the Lamy is really solid feeling. It is also ugly as sin. It reminds me of THE FUTURE as imagined by the 1970s. It does write very nicely, though. The line is nice and smooth and easy. Unfortunately, there isn't much variation of line thickness, so my writing with it doesn't look much different from my writing with an ordinary nib.

I love the Hero set. Three nibs and a schmancy looking pen body for $15. It's a bit scratchier than the Lamy, but also lays down a much more clearly italic line. It's light weight and pretty and professional looking and purple. I'll put up with a lot for purple.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

My boyfriend's mother just gave me a bunch of heavy resume paper. Cotton stuff. What do I do with it? It's pretty nice, but was scratchy to write on when I tried it with my lamy pen. Is it terrible for the pen?

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

iostream.h posted:

Not for the pen, but it'll likely feather horribly.

It didn't feather at all, actually. I was just worried because the paper made the pen drag so much that it was too rough and mess up the nib.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

I'm in. My roommate left me a ton of card making supplies when she moved to California. Might as well use it, right?

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

ghableska posted:

If any of you are interested there's a post/discuss your handwriting thread in A/T. It's pretty fun to see other people's styles.

My question is about nibs. I bought a Lamy Safari with an EF nib and I've been enjoying it quite a lot. I really like the mlook of writing that people can achieve with flex or italic nibs-- are these usable for normal writing like notes and things, or are they better saved for slow, purposeful writing? Are there any particular beginner nibs for the Lamy you'd recommend?
I use my italic nibs for everything. My general use pen is a Lamy Joy. 1.1 nib. It is a very slight italic line that makes my handwriting even prettier.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

I've been dying to get my hands on some Noodler's Rachmaninoff. I love the vibrant pink and I really need inks that are at least water-resistant because of the humidity where I live. Since it doesn't seem to exist anymore, so far as I can find, has anyone come across a pink ink that can withstand some moisture in the air?

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

Are there any pens in the $30-$50 range that either have an italic nib or can take a separate italic nib, and are prettier than a lamy pen? I have a Lamy Joy with a 1.1 steel nib. It writes as well as I expect it to, not as beautifully as a very nice, expensive pen, but well enough for my use. Thing is, even after having it for six months, I still think it's the ugliest thing. I don't like any of the Lamy designs, though. The Joy is a Safari with a longer body, the 2000 looks like it was extruded from a 3D printer. The caps on their lower-end pens are the ugliest.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

Any recommendations for a nice dark purple ink?

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

Is it a terrible idea to stick some Noodlers HOD in an old India Ink bottle for pen-filling purposes, so long as I've washed out the bottle really, really well? I've got an ancient bottle I got at Walmart in middle school that seems like a much better depth for pen-filling than the big honking eyedropper bottle the HOD comes in.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

Goulet is supposed to have the Noodler's Russian Series back in stock tomorrow. I'm gonna try and grab a bottle of Rachmaninoff.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

I scored a bottle of Rachmaninoff! I can't wait to write all of my notes in eye-blinding pink. There isn't a whole lot of information on the Russian Series in general, though. It seems like any time someone brings them up in the fountain pen communities, they get ignored and it requires a lot of irritating "Hey guys, look at me! :byodame:" to get anyone to comment on the formulations or the color or the way the ink behaves in general.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

kim jong-illin posted:

Just buy a box of disposable latex or nitrile gloves. I glove up when I'm filling my pens through the nib, wipe down the grip and then toss the tissue and the gloves. Fully filled, clean pen plus clean fingers.

The vinyl gloves at hardware stores like Harbor Freight are cheaper than the medical-grade stuff that you find at Walmart. I've got a box that I initially bought for hand-dying yarn. I'm pretty hard on them since they mostly get used as disposable dish gloves, and I've never broken one, just in case anyone is worried about cheap gloves breaking easily.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

I'm going to franken a mixture of noodler's HoD and Rachmaninoff just to see how it behaves. I'd like to get a slight pink tint with a little of the wetness and school-appropriateness of the HoD. Is this a terrible idea?

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

Trip Report: My Noodler's franken (HoD and Rachmaninoff) is still behaving. It's a little harder to start than just HoD, but I expected that because of how thick the pigment is in Rachmaninoff. It also solved the hideous nib creep of HoD and resulted in a lovely plummy color that is far more appropriate for schoolwork than the "gently caress you, dad!" pink of the Rachmaninoff. Overall, I like it a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

My Lamy Joy has taken heaps of abuse, and in spite of my complaints that it's ugly as gently caress (it is) it's an awesome pen and has stood up to the horrors of a heavy, overstuffed purse well.