Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
Hey, just to add to the lefty part of the OP:

Pushing a regular nib around with the left hand can be a skippy, scratchy, and even rippy experience. The tip of a LH nib is rounded to prevent us horrible southpaws from defiling both nib and paper. It really does the trick, but Pelikan and Lamy are the only manufacturers of these nibs that I know of so far. Lamy's LH nibs are only in size medium, too. Bastards.

e: for words...good?

Great Horny Toads! fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Feb 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
My hand likes to sweat all over my pen, or anything else I hold in my hand for over 30 seconds. I saw something about using cotton gloves, but do art supply stores carry those?

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
Hey, that reminds me. I remember watching an interview with Neil Gaiman where he talks about writing an entire novel with a fountain pen, and that he wuvs his TWSBI...or something.

e: So, I mean, poo poo. If it's good enough for that guy...

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
Anyone else have a Parker Urban? I've been thinking about that sexy thing far too much. What's it like to write with?

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
Good god. I never realized how fast cartridges burned up until I actually started using them. Burned through a 5-pack in a week. I have to get my rear end to the art supply store for ink, but...but they have shiny pens. NO! NO SHINY PENS!

Anyway, what common inks are good for just regular lined paper?

So shiny...

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012

w00tmonger posted:

As far as antique pens are concerned, is there a good resource for the various kinds of pens, as well as a go-to place for finding the pens themselves?

The easy way is to call/google antique shops in your area and say, "Hey, I was wondering if you have any fountain pens." They've already spent hours culling them from all the past estate sales. It's a better use of your time than going to the estate sales yourself.

Also, some stores that have pens will say so on their websites. There's one an hour from me that's all like WE HAVE loving 100 PENS*, rear end in a top hat. COME GET ONE! but I don't have a car.

*not exaggerating

Also, ink report: I Waterman'd. The Mysterious Blue. It's good stuff, but I'm not used to how wet it's laying down. I also drooled at the few hundred new pens that were in the store. I gotta say, the Conklin Herringbone pens are a) huge, and b) :catdrugs:. The flat, side-view pictures on all the pen sites don't do them justice.

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
Oh, I have a question. What's the deal with Namiki Falcon's "soft nib"? Is it a flex nib? Is it meant for calligraphy? Is it just meant to be more forgiving of weird grips and angles? Will my left-handed rear end love it dearly?

Okay, that was several questions.

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
Okay, I need a reliable pen with a big ol' ink tank. My Safari does the job, but I have to refill a lot more often than I'd like. Suggestions?

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
Well, poo poo. I've been eyeballing those TWSBI Vacs since they came out. Now, I have an excuse.

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
You can get a left-handed nib for Safari, too. :pervert:

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012

Luisfe posted:

Yaay my chinese Hero 616 10 pack just arrived.

Now what the gently caress do I do with 10 hero 616s (also a Hero 721, a Hero 7021 and a Baoer 388, the two heros for gifts, the Baoer for me)
http://dx.com/p/baoer-exquisite-stainless-steel-fountain-pen-silver-golden-143839

I see they have other pens on that site that are like $20-$30 each. Are those any good, or are they as hit-and-miss as the 10-pack Luisfe bought?

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
I read that as Inxocrom. Inx o' Crom. Time to give Robert E. Howard a break, maybe. :stare:

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
So, here's a funny question. I'm writing a story, and I'm writing potential scenes down on index cards. The cards are just SPONGING up the ink. The lines are a lot thicker (double or triple) than they are on regular paper, to the point of making my writing almost illegible. Any suggestions? Is there a certain weight or finish of paper I should be looking for?

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
I'm using off-the-shelf Waterman stuff. I may just use this debacle as an excuse to order FP-friendly index cards and more ink colours from Goulet...
and by "may" I mean "will"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
Some don't care about pens, but Every city seems to have ONE shop with a ton of pens. Also, flea markets. They're usually full of the same people every weekend or whatever. Walk in, ask any 5 vendors, one will tell you who has them, if anyone does.