Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lucifer chikken
May 28, 2001

blame it on the falling sky
I have a Noodler's Creaper Flex Nib pen that while I enjoy for writing and drawing purposes, I do not enjoy for non-writing purposes-- it seems the pen either leaks or there is some serious evaporation going on. It's definitely going through ink faster than it should be. I'm using this as justification to pick up a new, different pen along with a brush pen for drawing purposes.

I have a question I've been holding on to because I'm not sure it truly belongs here. I've been writing letters using Noodler's Purple Martin, but realize now that it isn't at ALL waterproof. Are there any methods for adding a bit of protection to written or drawn pages (like a spray fixative or something similar) after the fact?

Alternatively, does anyone have any recommendations for a waterproof purple that isn't too bleedy or flowery? I'm not married to the idea of purple and was actually hoping to get my hands on a bottle of Noodler's Empire Red for the same purposes, since it's eternal and I've heard nothing but good things, but it's not available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lucifer chikken
May 28, 2001

Thank you both-- the hairspray might work, I know I've used that on dry media art work and it was much more pleasant than aerosol sealants. I'll have to run some tests to see if hairspray is too wet when sprayed, also planning on stopping by the art store tomorrow to see if there are any options I haven't considered.

I've also picked up a bunch of ink samples to see if I can find a really steady ink in the range from purple to red that will hold fast to paper despite rain and condensation from drinking glasses and whatever other clumsiness.

lucifer chikken
May 28, 2001

I seem to be having less-than-stellar luck with pens. New Noodler's Brush Pen dumped a cap full of Heart of Darkness on my lap, so I guess I can't leave that inked up for even a couple hours. But more troubling, I noticed that my handwriting sucks especially bad with my new Lamy Safari because the nib itself is wiggling and slips off the feed very easily. It writes like those really lovely pencils with loose lead after you sharpen them write. Not good.
I checked the Lamy Nexx I have, the nib is very snugly seated, and reading around suggests that's proper and that it should take some effort to get the nib off. Is there any way I can get the nib on the Safari to grab on a little more? I don't want to take a pair of pliers to it if that's going to be the worst idea ever.

lucifer chikken
May 28, 2001

Vitamins posted:

I don't get the Noodlers pen hype either. Sure some of his inks are great, but why would anyone bother buying a $20 pen that may or may not work rather than a more expensive on that's almost guaranteed to work? They seem pretty poor quality for what they are, but I guess trying to make an affordable flex pen is pretty cool. Maybe it's because there's a lot of people that seem to like the Noodler dudes :tinfoil::hf::911: attitude?

Honestly, for the Noodler's flex nib, I went by word of mouth recommendation and then the reviews seemed decent. I know nothing about pens, I don't want pens to become a hobby really (I already blow enough cash on my darkroom), but I hate disposable ballpoints and was looking for something permanent. So that's where that went wrong. The brush pen, I just wanted a brush pen that was meant for ink. Based on the reviews I don't know if everyone who gives positive reviews is on serious uppers or I just have terrible luck.
That said, totally in love with the Lamy Nexx and I write with it every day! I will take all of the advice re: the Safari and fiddle with it and/or contact the company. Thanks. :)