Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

Using fountain pens is going to destroy me, I think.

I picked up a Pilot Metropolitan, which was an easy sell given what I read here and elsewhere. But I needed ink. I was looking for a green ink for grading a s quiz for the class I teach at the local technical college. Holy poo poo, I spent three hours researching a $12 purchase, looking for an ink that would hold up despite the lovely copy paper we have at the college. I'll know next Monday whether I made the right choice.

I will also say this -- there is no reason to buy off of Amazon if you can buy from Goulet Pens or isellpens.com. I've bought from both of the independent stores and have been impressed at the service and the care that they put into packaging the orders. It's easy to buy from small business owners when they are as great as the ones that the pen community have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

That is a beautiful pen. The preceding sentence was an understatement.

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Speaking of the 'ooohs'...

I've had to argue with a couple clients of mine that my Hero 200 is not, in fact, a Parker 75. It's a surprisingly belligerent argument, albeit good-spirited as far as arguments go. They don't seem to understand that if I had a real Parker 75, that I wouldn't dare to use it in everyday life.

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Am I the only one that hates the look of the Lamy clips? Irrational as it may be, it's the main reason I haven't tried one yet.

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Bertrand Hustle posted:

There is no reason for any pen nerd to not get a TWSBI.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not a fan of how they look. That's my reason, at least.

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

COOL CORN posted:

For flex-nibbed pens, are the Noodler Ahab and Namiki Falcon my only real options? Are there any go-to vintage pens that use flex nibs?

Also, after a few months of use, this TWSBI is easily my favorite pen. Also Terre de Feu is an amazing brown ink, my second favorite under Noodler's Antietam (which is my most-used ink these days).

Is that a new offering by TWSBI? That is sharp looking and I will have to retract my earlier anti stance on the brand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

grack posted:

I don't give a right middle poo poo if the customer service is amazing, their manufacturing and quality control is absolutely, staggeringly awful. I'd rather have a pen that works properly the first time than spend 3 months waiting for replacement parts to be shipped to me and hoping against hope it doesn't vomit ink all over the place every time I pick the damned thing up. Hell, even my $5 Chinese pen collection has had substantially fewer problems.

The best customer service is the customer service that you never have to contact.