Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Is $126 a good price for the Pilot Falcon? It's the black/gold one with a 'soft medium nib' if that matters.

I've only been doing this about 2 years (and really only got into it about 8 months ago) and I've started eyeing some of the more expensive pens, and this one in particular is really tempting me. It's the cheapest I've seen it, though admittedly I've not really looked too far, but I also wonder if maybe it's just a shittier old model they're trying to offload or something.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00063NUW6

Sankis fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Mar 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Kessel posted:

There are multiple types of body for the Falcon - resin and metal. I assume you know that but check which you’re getting

Yeah, this is the resin one. The metal body appears to be almost double the price.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

I think I've had my first fountain pen disappointment (of many, I suspect).

I bought the Conklin Duraflex when Goulet got their last shipment earlier in the week. I got mine today, number 1084 and boy is it not very good. I may have just gotten a real bad nib as its tines are seemingly quite splayed and it will barely write unless I turn it 90 degrees to paper to get it to start, and even then any flexing causes it to railroad immediately. I'm also fairly certain one of the tines is ever so slightly longer than the other.

edit: I guess I'll try to contact Conklin about it.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Apr 28, 2018

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

I see what you mean about so much of this being personality based, though I wouldn't 'blame' Goulet for hyping this myself outside of selling something that's limited in number. Its my own fault for not researching it enough. I think I fell into some ~limited edition~ hype. I'm still less than a year into this and the industry's practices are only just becoming obvious.

Oh well. At least it was a $60 lesson not a $200 one.

Speaking of bloggers though, what's the deal with basically every single FP blogger on YouTube seeming like their video quality is 10 years behind?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

What stage of the hobby is the "how the gently caress did I get ink on my hands I haven't even touched a pen in hours" because i'm there now and I think I am going crazy.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Lowness 72 posted:

Platinum 3776. It's in your price range on Amazon.

Whoa. Why is this pen so much cheaper on Amazon? I understand there's a premium on sites like Goulet but $100 less seems ridiculous?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Emerald of Chivor was my first >$15 ink and I absolutely adore it. I really need to get a broad nib pen and really play around with it. Are there any cheaper pens with nice broad nibs or should I just get a broad goulet nib or something for a jinhao?

My only real complaint with the ink is that if I linger on the paper a moment too long it will just be covered with shiny particulates. I wish there was a bit less.

If you really like that sheening effect check out the organic studio's Walden, or maybe it was Ralph Waldo Emerson. Either way it's a dark blue that basically goes shiny red immediately.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Is Ebay the best place to get Chinese pens? The only ones I can find in any number on Amazon are Jinhao or weird nameless pens that list for $150 but are perpetually on 'sale' for 20 bucks.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

I have big hands but it seems like oversized pens are limited to the higher end price tiers, your montblancs and pilot maki-es and such. Are there any oversized pens in the $150 or lower price range that aren't Jinhao 159s?

I absolutely love my Jinhao 159 and but I'd like something thats a bit more well made.

edit: Also I got a 1.5mm stub and some tomoe river paper and yup Emerald of Chivor certainly looks incredible on it. I just wish there as an easy way to digitize how it looks.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 20, 2018

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

grack posted:

Edison Collier, Laban Mento, Conklin All-American, Monteverde Giant Sequoia, Rosetta Coronado

There are more but that's just off the top of my head.

Thanks a bunch! That Rosetta looks exactly like what I'd want though I can't seem to really find anyone selling it.

Also what is up with every American pen company putting out just the gaudiest looking pens? This is especially true to Conklin.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

IMO, avoid the Conklin & Monteverde pens, my mother bought three of them and all of them have been nothing but trouble with the Conklin one breaking outright within a couple months of purchase and Conklin basically refusing to honor their warranty.

I bought that Conklin Duraflex, which is a limited edition duragraph with a special steel flex nib, and it was hot garbage and has basically soured me on Conklin for the future.

Lowness 72 posted:

Sir - I am a big of the Pelikan M800. However, I have recently discovered the Platinum 3776. It's a similar size at a much better price point. I also really like the feedback on the nib. I feel a little bit like a shill at this points as I've mentioned it multiple times in this thread but I really like this pen.

I've been eyeing that pen since the last time it was brought up in this thread. The Goulet pen comparison thing makes it looks fairly large compared to some of the other pens I own. Honestly the only thing that's stopping me from getting one at this point is indecision about which nib I'd want to get.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Trustworthy posted:

We're just trying our best to catch up to Italy

(MSRP: € 4.500,00)

This looks like something you'd find at That Place (you know the one) in your local mall that also sold porcelain wizards and knives.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Does anyone have experience with the Platinum 3776 with the Soft Fine nib? My cursory google searches have made it sound like it has had some issues in the past with quality. I really love me a soft nib and if a pen has one it's hard to pass it up...

This is really the only thing stopping me up from ordering one, my indecision over a soft fine or medium.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

I keep spending $80+ on pens and I think this stupid Jinhao 159 is still my favorite to write with. It's so smooth.

I also received my 3776 medium the other day and boy these tines are really tight. There's barely any ink flow.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 27, 2018

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Both of the Jinhao pens I have had are terrible, with awful ink flow and drying issues, they were both basically unusable.

My x450 and x750 are like that but this 159 has been so good thus far. I guess it's just a roll of the dice with jinhaos and chinese pens in general.

If I want my x450 and x750 to work at all well I have to clean them out if they so much as look at ink.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

My handwriting is still not great. I keep telling myself I'll work on it soon but then I just buy a pretty new ink instead.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Lowness 72 posted:

After continuing to write with the Moonman, I went through my drawer and found my Conklin DURAFLEX and gave it another shot. What a piece - of - poo poo that pen is. I paid like $60 for that garbage! I could have purchased two Moonmans for that! Ugh! Why didn't I learn my lesson on the first Conklin I bought that was absolutely nothing special for $60 or whatever.

In other news - I also ordered one of these Kaweco knock offs, in Green. I'm excited to try it when it arrives!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/232779508973

It really is a piece of poo poo. I've been trying to use mine again as well. The littlest bit of pressure will splay the tines and just feels cheap overall.

At least now I know better. Maybe one day there will be a nice proper flex pen under $150ish that's not poo poo

edit: is my understanding of Modern Conklin right? It used to be an old american fountain pen company that went under in the later 20th century, then the name got bought (By yafa?) and now it's used to put out cheap garbage?

Sankis fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 12, 2018

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

I bought a Moonman M2 because of this thread and I adore it. Its my first demonstrator and first eyedropper. Now I really get the appeal of both.

This is probably going to draw me into the world of Chinese pens now.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Cleaning out my moonman m2 in like 3 minutes really makes me realise how god drat annoying it is to clean out converters.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

I just ordered a Wing Sung 601. I'm very excited to get within the next two weeks to two months.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jul 4, 2018

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

I just got a Wing Sung 601 and so far I'm loving it. However, the plunger feels a bit 'sticky' and I wanted to see if i could fix it. I have no idea how to disassemble that part.

It looks like I need a wrench or other tool of some kind but I have no idea what because I know even less about tools than I know about pens. The pen came with grease but I didn't see anything else in the package.

edit: I managed to get it using a paper towel and a part of a multitool I had. What, exactly, is the grease for anyway?

edit 2: seems like the part with spring and the part that screw into the top became separated which explains why there's no springy-ness anymore? Weird.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jul 15, 2018

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

I don't know how anyone decides on a grail pen to aim for. There's so many pens over $500 that just look incredible.

I think the only thing I have in mind myself is the 149. I love big pens and seeing YouTube videos of people writing with one just looks amazing and pleasing. That said that's basically $800 more than I could ever really see spending on a pen.

Edit: Some of these high end flex pens by Aurora and what not. Are they actual flex like vintage flex or something else?

Sankis fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jul 19, 2018

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

grack posted:

They're nowhere near vintage flex. No modern pen on the market is anywhere near vintage flex.

If we're talking grail pens, for me it's the Vermilion Emperor.

Why is it, exactly, that vintage flex is apparently loving LosTech? Is it just that its not something that can be easily mass produced? Is there a material cost or something that makes it not economically feasible? It seems, from my limited understanding, that Flex of any kind was basically non existent from the mid 50s through 2010 or so.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jul 19, 2018

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

If you're into Chinese pens, the moonman m2 and the wingsung 601 can both be had for about 20 bucks each (cheaper if you import it yourself) and I adore both of mine.

Edit: Those are both pretty lightweight, though. Look into the Jinhao 159. Its probably my favorite pen to hold since I have big hands. i just wish that size of pen wasn't mostly relegated to >$500 range.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

What's the deal with the modern day old pen brands of Parker, Shaeffer, Waterman, etc? They've been around for ages but I never hear about their current crop of pens. Everyone talks about their vintage stuff but I never see anyone talk about their current stuff.

Why is this? Is it just because I'm not part of any fountain pen community (outside of this thread and some youtube stuff)? Am I just not in their demographic? Waterman seems rather boutique judging by their site, as does Parker, outside of the Jotter and IM. While Schaeffer on the other hand seems almost entirely lower end.

It's this really weird blind spot that I've developed over the past year and a half and I'm not quite sure why.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

That makes a whole lot of sense and probably explains why the description of Waterman and Parker that kept creeping into my head was "soulless". Thanks for the answer, even if it's a bit of a bummer.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Well, gently caress me.

I ordered a parker challenger slender, a 1939 model for a nice cheap vintage pen to dip my toes into this whole thing.

It came today and it's great. It writes wonderfully and the nib is fantastic. What happens hours later? I drop it hard enough that one of the tines breaks off completely and the other bends.

edit: don't suppose anyone knows where i can find some parts? though im guessing it's probably gonna cost me more to fix than it did to buy it.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Aug 2, 2018

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Oh I didn't doubt that welding would not be economical. It doesn't matter anyway as I lost one of the broken tines.

I was mostly wondering about loose nibs. The pen itself is in great condition, just not the tines I broke in less than 8 hours :(

Hopefully I can find a broken slender challenger that has an otherwise decent nib on ebay or something.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

haha gently caress. I was looking at PenBbs stuff and came across their inks. They have one called "The burning of the white house 1814" and another called 45 POTUS that's a poo poo brown

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

I can't imagine they actually carry pens that expensive in store, do they? I thought metro range was about the extent of it.

Speaking of discounted pens, though, what are some other good import deals similar to how the Platinum 3776 can be found much cheaper on japan? I think I heard that the Custom 91(?) can also be found quite cheap but are there any others?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Chip McFuck posted:

This is a really specific request, but here goes nothing: Does anyone have a recommendation for a pen that has a large grip circumference, is a little more attractive than a Lamy, and under $100? My hands are so big that anything under 12mm makes my hand cramp after just a few minutes of writing which, unfortunately, seems to be the majority of the pens I've tried.

I've been looking for this too. No one makes nice oversized pens outside of 'grail' range with a couple exceptions.

The jinhao 159 is basically what I want in a pen but nicer and not $900 for the montblanc it copies

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Does anyone have any good recommendations for a pen case? I don't need anything super fancy. I just want something that'll fit 12-24 pens and protect them decently.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Ugh.

Im starting to fall pretty deep into this hole. I was browsing ebay during my break and saw a lot of 14 pens for sale with about 15 seconds left. I bid a dollar above thinking I'd be immediately outbid. I win it.

I know from my brief glance that it's not all fountain pens but I'm too nervous to look at what I actually just bought

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Anyone good at identifying vintage pens?

I can see a bit of text on some of the barrels but sadly the shots aren't good enough to read them. It's on the barrel that's missing the nib unit anyway.

These are not in my possession or else I'd be able to look myself, obviously! It's images from an ebay auction.

Edit: Just the fountain pens, obviously,

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

grack posted:

The bottom picture has a Sheaffer School Pen, what looks like a Lady Balance, three No Nonsense pens and another Lady Balance in Carmine Red. The top picture I can't tell then model of the pen in the case without seeing the nib.

They might also be Junior Balances.

Thanks. I 'accidentally' bought them all the other day because I'm bad with money and expected to lose. I've been dying to know what some of them were ever since.

I'm so unfamiliar with most vintage stuff outside of the very commonly talked about ones like the vacuumatics, parker 51 etc. I didn't spend a ton but I'm hoping some of them work well enough without restoration. Judging by my googling based on what you said, they mostly seem to be from the 60s/70s (or newer)?

Sankis fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 9, 2018

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Remora posted:

No Nonsenses are p. good, I would be pleased to have those at least. They're deadass simple c/c pens, so if they're not working they shouldn't be difficult to get working.

I just got them earlier today. Everything except the Lady Balances seem like they should work fine after a nice, warm soak and clean.

The gold balance is missing the nib unit and the red seems like it'll need a new sac. I haven't gotten it open yet but it sounds and feels like its in many pieces.

The ball points just need new ink units. Are there modern ink sac replacements or is it a pain in the rear end to find a replacement?

Edit One of the pens appears to be a sheaffer rip off of the parker 51 except with a squeeze converter

Sankis fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 10, 2018

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

grack posted:

Do you have a picture of the nib of the green pen in the Sheaffer box? What you're describing doesn't sound like any Sheaffer pen I've ever heard of.

Also yes, you can get modern sac replacements.

I'm completely wrong! It's in a Sheaffer box but it's a Parker 21 and what I think is a mechanical pencil version.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

I cleaned all the pens I got in the estate lot last night.

The two Nononsense are in kinda rough condition. They seem to have actually been used a fair bit by someone with a painting hobby as there's a bit of old paint on the body. Otherwise they seem okay, though. One's a fine nib and the other is a fine italic.

The green school pen has a pretty nice condition medium nib. Otherwise it's pretty bland. I'm guessing by its name it was meant for newer/younger pen users so that'd make sense.

The Sheaffer demonstrator seems to be an eyedropper and has a Sheaffer '305' medium nib. This is the only one I have inked up at the moment and it seems to write pretty well. Unfortunately, the old plastic body is a bit beat up and the barrel is slightly bent.

The gold/amber balance is sadly lacking all internal parts. The barrel and cap are in decent condition, though. It has an engraving, as does the red one pen, but I kind of like that.

The Carmine Red lady balance is in pretty good shape! The only issue is that I can see is that its sac has long since dried up and crumbled to dust. I cleaned out the inside of it and if I can find a replacement it should work fine? I have no idea where to even look, honestly, and even then it may just be better to get it professionally done since it needs polishing and some other minor work as well.

The Parker 21 seems to have been the most used of all the pens. It shows obvious wear on the nib (edit: was just a bit misaligned, seems to be fixed now) and a bit of scratching on the barrel. The accompanying mechanical pencil is also pretty bad. edit: I'm not sure if the cap is original? It doesn't have the Parker arrow, though it does have 'Parker' engraved on it toward the bottom. Seems like a medium nib.

All in all, it doesn't seem too bad for a ridiculously quick impulse $60 purchase.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Sep 12, 2018

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

This Parker 21 I got from this ebay lot rules. I think I'm going to buy a Parker 51 now (eventually). What kind of price should I be expecting for a restored one? I seem to see Parker 51 on ebay ranging from about $60 to $200

I assume the cheaper ones are uncleaned or parts pieces mostly.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Sep 17, 2018

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Wowee. I bought some Herbin (Not the J. Herbin anniversary stuff) inks on a whim the other day boy are they pretty.

I bought these three

Vert Pré
Diabolo Menthe
Rouge Grenat

I don't know what I'll possibly use them for but they're all so vivid and pretty! Here's a terrible picture I took of the ink on my Rhodia pad. I really need to get better lighting in my room and also learn how to use a camera well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

I don't understand why Pilot got rid of the con-50. The con-40 is such garbage. I really wish the resin falcon could use the con-70.

edit: it has like 3x the moving parts of the con-50, too. I don't understand!!

Sankis fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Oct 5, 2018