Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

This might be sacrilegious, but I like to mix a little bulletproof black into my Iroshizuku inks using a syringe. It makes for really nice shades of blue black and though I haven't tested it, I tell myself it makes them slightly more waterproof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Just want to chime in and say that TWSBI customer service is still really great. My TWSBI mini has a leak, which is something they haven't encountered before, and they've already sent me 2 replacement barrels and now a new nib assembly in order to try and fix the problem. Luckily I haven't had any cracking problems, but I'm sure if I did, they'd gladly send me a replacement part.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

You're correct. Most pen manufacturers test their nibs often with a small amount of blueish ink.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Everything Burrito posted:

I want some of that ink so bad but so does apparently everyone else. Has it ever come back in stock anywhere?

Back in stock on JetPens today (I grabbed a bottle).

http://www.jetpens.com/J.-Herbin-1670-Anniversary-Fountain-Pen-Ink-50-ml-Bottle-Stormy-Grey/pd/13152

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

I've been carrying/using a TWSBI mini since 2012, but I've had sporadic ink leakage issues that continue to plague me and seem to be getting worse. Over the years I've had different parts replaced, but I think either due to the ink I'm using, the temperature differential between the barrel and feed in my pocket, or simply a poor seal, I'm just tired of sometimes pulling out my pen and getting ink all over my fingers. To that end, I'm looking into a new pocket pen and would love goon input on what's out there.

I have a couple Pilot Petit floating around a home, but I want something that looks a little classier and puts down a finer line. I've come across the Kaweco Lilliput which looks really nice, but I am a little worried about losing it w/o any clip. The Kaweco Sport looks similar in design to the TWSBI, but since the clip is a separate accessory, it seems like that might not be the best situation either. The Ohto Tasche looks very affordable and nice, but I'd prefer an EF line. The Ohto Rook also looks very cool, but the line is even thicker than the Tasche. I think right now I'm leaning towards the Tasche, or the Lilliput if I could justify the cost.

Are there any other options/recommendations you guys would have?

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

grack posted:

You can put a Fisher Space Pen clip on the Kaweco Liliput, it fits perfectly and is pretty cheap. If you don't mind spending a little more you can get a Pilot Elite E95s in Extra Fine or Fine off of Amazon for ~$80-90. Pocket pen, very cool inlaid 14k nib. I'm also a big fan of Ohto, the nibs are western fines on the pocket pens (ignore how they're sized in adverts, it's almost always wrong). You can also replace the nibs pretty easily, they're standard #5s and friction fit.

Hm maybe I should find an occasion to get the E95, that's a really sexy pen. I do have a spare TWSBI EF nib I could throw in the Ohto in the meantime, I think I read somewhere those are #5 nibs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

No love for Shin-ryoku? Dark green ink is subtle but unique. That's what I've been using on a day-to-day basis.

That said I also go through phases of Kon-peki, Asa-gao and Tsuki-yo. Is Shin-kai relatively new? I don't think I've seen that one before and now I want it, as if I needed more blues...