Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

camino posted:

The one thing I wanted to throw in on the last thread is about breaking TWSBI's. It seems to me that aside from the cap, they don't crack until you disassemble and reassemble them. I've seen a lot of people comment on this. With my next TWSBI, I'm not going to take it apart unless absolutely necessary.
So far I've disassembled two TWSBIs several times each and neither have cracked. Both are 530s, and there's another 530 my grandfather has that I'll probably have to disassemble and then give up on because I suspect he left Sailor ink in it for like a year :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
To add to all this trying to improve your handwriting by writing from the shoulder might help quite a bit. Here's an article about handwriting in general that goes over grips, writing from the shoulder, and such. It takes practice but it makes writing more comfortable and produces smoother letters. I'm sorta in between writing with my wrist/fingers and shoulder right now unless I'm actively thinking about it, but it does work.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
Got my Pilot Metropolitan early today. Goulet Pens threw in a Tootsie Pop with this one...okay.

Came with a Con-20 instead of a Con-50, which ain't that bad considering the 50's capacity is a bit poor. It writes really well, the line is thinner than the medium nib on my VP funnily enough, but the snap cap feels looser than my Lamy Safari, so I don't have a lot of confidence carrying this outside of a shirt pocket. Pen looks nice, writes decently, and for the price it's a great deal, quite deserving of its place in the OP.

Edit: I skimmed the page description on Goulet, the Con-50 is extra and the pen comes with the Con-20 by default.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 2, 2013

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

How do I get ink for this thing oh god what am I doing?

To get ink you should buy some at a store, either online, or in real life if you can find one. This is much easier than punching a squid and trying to get your ink fresh.

For fancy ink you can get Iroshizuku ink for $28. It's quite nice, has some really vibrant colors, comes in the standard 50 ml, and should last a few years unless you write a crap ton.

For cheaper ink with lots of variety in function as well as color there's Noodler's which is made by a crazy person. It's about $12.50 a pop, comes in 3 oz jars because gently caress metrication. For a quarter more you can get Diamine inks at 80ml a thing, they are also colorful, and reportedly vary from crap that will feather a lot or never dry, to stuff that's alright (I can vouch for Steel-Blue, although it's kinda fruity).

Even cheaper ink: Private Reserve. $8.80 for 50ml, the color selection is different, the colors don't match the color of the labels very well, and I haven't had any personal experience with the ink myself but have heard good things.

You can order samples from Goulet for like a $1.25~2.50 for 2ml, and I think they're good for a fill or two depending on the pen. I'd say start with some Noodler's (not Baystate Blue, it stains pens, so you'll need to "sacrifice" a pen to it if you want the bluest blue) and then get some Iroshizuku for fancy stuff if you find one you like. There are other inks out there, these are just the ones I've used or heard a decent amount about. There's also pen brand inks, like Lamy ink, Parker, etc but they tend to just be a few colors, however they often perform solidly from what I hear.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
I did some tests with Iroshizuku ink in regards to water, left it in the sink overnight and it faded, but was still there. I've heard probably half and half good/bad stuff about Private Reserve, but with any ink company there's some crappy inks, also paper/pen/nib combinations to take into account and it's all very nebulous in the long run.

Fake edit: Found the water test:

That ink is usually more green-blue than blue, so yeah, it fades a decent bit. Of course HoD is basically unmovable.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 5, 2013

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

The Hebug posted:

This might be sacrilegious, but I like to mix a little bulletproof black into my Iroshizuku inks using a syringe. It makes for really nice shades of blue black and though I haven't tested it, I tell myself it makes them slightly more waterproof.

jomiel posted:

I find Iroshizuku inks to have water-resistant properties. Water drop tests are great for my needs, since I'm much more concerned about bleeding when I spill a drink (I also do bleach & hand sanitizer tests).

Oddly the middle of the "heart" never got wet.

Sorry about my sloppy picture taking/writing. Also the grammar in that last one :v:

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Strangelet Wave posted:

(Click for big)

Brightman fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 6, 2013

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Strangelet Wave posted:

(Here's the link where I learned Italic handwriting: http://www.freehandwriting.net/educational.html Took me about a month to get fluent with it. I'm still not anywhere near as neat as an actual calligrapher.)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Fake edit: Looking at yours again, I think the descender from the 'g' above the 20 made it look like a 30. If that means you're throwing in the Con-50, I'd say stick with the Con-20 as it has more capacity, but it's up to you if you just dislike squeeze fillers.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

cobalt impurity posted:

This is typical of Asian pens in general. European nibs usually write the same thickness as one size up in Asian nibs, though there are obvious exceptions. The Nib Nook is invaluable for comparing lines, but sadly it's only useful for pens the Goulets happen to sell.

Actually if you use the individual drop downs instead of the one that grabs all the nibs for a particular pen there's pens in there they don't sell. Not a lot of them, but they have Sailor 1911's in there for instance. It's pretty helpful, but the selection is still fairly limited. I think it's basically just pens they've been able to get their hands on or maybe ones they reviewed in their blog.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
Maybe? Noodler's Bulletproof Black will probably serve you well, their Heart of Darkness bottle is larger and comes with a free Platinum Preppy modded for eyedropper filling, but the bottle is an eyedropper one with a narrow neck, so filling other pens with it without a spare inkwell to use is a pain.

quote:

Paper talk.
I have some Clairfontaine pads and some small Moleskine ones, the Clairfontaine does better than the Moleskine on average, but it depends on the pen, ink, Saturn, etc. and usually I'm just using normal notebook paper or printer paper. I don't think it really matters much unless you're using a really wide nib or some special ink. You can get special paper, but then what do you do with that? I don't really know what the hell to do with mine, I generally end up using them to write short stories in with the explicit purpose of emptying out the last bits of ink from my pens. If you need a journal/diary, cool, otherwise stick with whatever you're currently using unless your pen/ink combo ends up being a complete disaster with it.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
Here's Goulet's table of Noodler's Ink Properties, and here's their selection of inks listed as Bulletproof in pretty much every color. One of those is even an invisible ink that only shows up under black lights. Not quite sure if that's awesome or just :tinfoil: but given Noodler's history probably the latter in some fashion.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
I saw some discussion on this the other day somewhere (I forgot where, doesn't seem to be on fpn, so maybe it was on a blog) and the only other noticeable differences are the clip style, larger o-rings for the grip section, and also a metal bit in the grip that holds the nib assembly, which is also to help prevent cracking as people seemed to have a hard time lining up the notches and not just cramming it in there. Also the metal bit in the body where the plunger mechanism is screwed in is gone and it just screws straight into the plastic now, probably, again, to prevent cracking.

So if you're pen is cracked, then this might be a good idea, but otherwise yeah, what 404notfound said.

Personally I'm looking forward to the 850, really curious how that'll end up and how it'll perform. Also still trying to hold off on getting a Vac700.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

angerbot posted:

How could you get that, but not the 3 in 1 FP/Butane Lighter/Flashlight? Don't you know a deal when you see it!

I feel like that pen would be right up the Noodler guy's alley. You can use it in the dark thanks to the flashlight, and if you need to, you can burn the documents so no one can read your :tinfoil: secrets.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

cobalt impurity posted:

:psyduck:

How do you even get ink in that thing? I might be tempted to get one just for the novelty of it.

e:

If you could swap out that LED for a UV one, it would actually have a practical purpose with the Noodler's blacklight inks!

I don't think it's refillable, can't tell from the picture. You might be able to mod it in some way to make it refillable possible. Also yeah, if you could get one with a UV light that would be fantastic for all your :tinfoil: needs.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

312 posted:

Honestly I'd rather just use a ballpoint, and I'm guessing most people you give them to will feel the same. They just weren't very much fun to write with, but some here like them obviously. Good if you have a lot of inks and want to have a pen for every color.

Hero 616 pens are a real crap-shoot due to their crumby quality control. You can just as easily get a great one as you can one that is basically a nail stuck in an ink tube. The one I got wrote pretty drat well at first, but it has since degraded a bit and is now fairly mediocre to bad.

The plus side is they're so drat cheap you could almost just treat them like disposables.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
I'm a bit confused...wait, you got a fake Mont Blanc and bought real refill cartridges for it that don't fit, got it. Is that a ballpoint though, are the refills ballpoint or gel? Looking into it MB makes proprietary refills, however someone mentions that Pilot G2 refills fit in MB pens, so maybe the reverse is true...actually yeah, you can probably just use some scissors and do what this guy did. You might have to make a cap for the end of it though if you need to cut the entire thing off for it to fit so the ink doesn't dry up super quick.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
I think I came in to the old thread thinking it would be all about vintage pens and super crazy custom jobs because, "who the hell makes fountain pens anymore?"

Also I thought you could potentially stab someone with one in a pinch, or at least squirt ink in their eyes, but I found out that movies had lied to me yet again. A few years later and I have several hundred dollars worth of pens and 5 bottles of ink and I have my eye on like half a dozen pens and three more inks. These threads are tricky like that, much like the Wet Shaving Thread, although that one is probably cheaper in the end.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
I don't recall many pen sales going on in the thread besides the old thread's OP having a site for TWSBI pens and some other inks. Probably be best to post in SA-mart and put the link up in here. That way some other people might have a shot at it.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Dominoes posted:

How do you 'flush the pen' through the cup?

Is this a fountain pen? Or is it a Lamy 2000 Rollerball or Ballpoint?

You'd need to unscrew the body and use the converter(fake edit:Lamy 2000 is a piston filler) twist the end of it to suck water into it and then flush it out a few times until clear.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Dominoes posted:

I submerged the top part of the pen in water and unscrewed the back end. After unscrewing a certain amount, a hole bubbled, through several cycles of unscrewing, and re-screwing. No water left the pen at any point, and the bubbles implied some was taken in. A small amount of ink emptied into the water. I'm about to return this, seems defective.

Also, the item description shows black ink, when the ink that does come out is clearly blue. Something's up.

Well it shouldn't have any ink in it at all, you need to get ink and put it in yourself with a pen that has a built in filling system. Actually I don't think any fountain pens come pre-inked, at most they'd have a cartridge with them.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
Why is this happening?

Nib Nook! Compare for yourself and see with fancy graph paper and a multitude of nib types.

Selecting the Lamy F and M with the TWSBI 1.1 stub in between it is much wider with the wide stroke, and appears as thin or thinner than the F with the thin stroke.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Luisfe posted:

I just got a bottle of Heart of Darkness. Is the free pen it comes with safe to use with it (as in, it won't leak horribly when put in a pocket and then put goddamn impossible to remove ink on everything I have?)

On top of being a great pen, the ink is only absolutely permanent on paper, on cloth you can get it out, as in, it's in the realm of possibility, but depending on several factors, the thing might still be stained for life.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Yoshi Jjang posted:

So I bought some Heart of Darkness because I'm curious what the whole raving over it was all about.

Is it me, or does the Platinum Preppy that came with it write so much better than all my other fountain pens? :tinfoil:

No, it's not you. The Platinum Preppy that comes free with HoD is a ridiculously good writer, super smooth. I think it's about as good as, if not better than, my Pilot Vanishing Point, and that cost a hundred bucks. Actually the Metro might be in line with the Preppy as well, but I haven't compared those two yet.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
On the other hand the TWSBI should have a much better build quality overall than the Preppy. My Preppy's cap cracked because I had been posting it randomly while writing checks when sitting on the couch. Also the Preppy seems more prone to leaking in the cap. Might also be worth noting that fountain pens sorta have a breaking in phase and the 580 will get more used to the way you write. Sometimes I notice a decent difference in this area, but I haven't with the Preppy as much. Apparently this can be so pronounced with certain pens and people that only the owner can effectively write with them.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Welsper posted:

Just wait until you own a bunch of nice inks, you'll want all those pens so you can use them at once.

(Buy some Pilot Iroshizuku Tsuki-Yo and wonder why you bothered to write in any other colour).

I might need to see it in person, but I prefer Syo-Ro over Tsuki-Yo. Granted when you use Syo-Ro with a fine nib it looks more like a cross between the two, much less green. I just like the shading I get with it so much, but I also prefer green over blue in general, and I also might lack sense as I have Ina-Ho and Chika-Rin too, which are like writing with gold~copper and lime respectively. Although using the Chika-Rin in my bright green Lamy seems pretty great, which reminds me, I need to try the Ina-Ho in that since it's my 1.5 italic nib, sorta want to see how it and Syo-Ro do with that.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
Went to some antique shops over the weekend, came back empty handed. Did find some fountain pens, but nothing worth buying and trying to fix. I found some Scheaffers that looked like they were cartridge pens but the cartridge was the whole body, seemed odd. The only semi-promising one was a Wearever pen, but it was really gunked up with old ink, and also bright purple.

I'd also probably be up for letter writing shenanigans.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Ed Mungo posted:

What do y'all keep your pens and pen accessories in?

I'm starting to accumulate some quantity of "pen stuff" like extra converters (I don't like the squeezy ones so I always swap them out) and the like. Right now I just have my small items in an empty Altoids tin, and the pens that aren't currently in use are stuffed in the box my Metropolitan came in. As long as I don't get anything new, this is working OK but we all know that's unlikely so I need to figure out a better storage solution. I keep all my pen stuff at work in my desk so I've been looking at things like roll-up pen cases on JetPens because I don't really have room for a big box or anything.
I use this pen chest. Or at least one that looks exactly like that one. All the converters and small things are in the drawer, pens under the glass. In use pens tend to be in a shirt pocket or laying on top of a notebook at work or by my bed. The inks remain in their boxes on top of the counter above the pen chest. I really need to find a better spot for them, I should just move them to the small table thing the chest is on but it's cluttered with mail and keys and such.

iostream.h posted:

Edit: Ok, let's try this this way.
Everyone who wants to participate in the pen pal thing, PM me your mailing addresses, and if you don't have PMs then email them to iostream.header at the googles and I'll start matching people up.

Okay, done.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Solkanar512 posted:

Just a heads up, but TWSBI is offering a Vac 700 (any color/nib size) and the Vac 20 inkwell for $85 + shipping. You're basically getting the inkwell for $5.

I hate you...so much...but in a good, thanks for pointing this out, way. Wait, I can't get a stub nib...that's annoying.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

fivre posted:

How hard would it be to get a TWSBI nib/nib unit into another pen? Everyone here seems to love them, but I don't care for their styling at all.

Honestly I think a lot of the love is for the style and for them being a decently priced pen that has a built in filling system. Also with the Diamonds you can take them all apart and clean every crevice to your heart's content. At any rate I think they're basically the same as some other company's nibs, like maybe Schaeffer's, but I could be wrong about that...actually I think that was just initially, and probably not the case now.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
Pretty sure that site misspoke and meant that it is "a" standard paper size.

quote:

When to use A3 Size

The A3 paper size is predominately used to place large images, drawings, Computer Aided Design, architecture and other types of design based elements on to paper.

This bit shows that it's fairly limited, A4 is the standard in most countries, and Letter is the standard in the US and Canada. Actually I bet A3 is probably close to whatever the standard was when people wrote with quills and such.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Vagueabond posted:

Wait, Letter is standard in Canada? I've only ever used A4 for anything.

I was taking that from this site http://www.a4papersize.org/ which is associated with that A3 one, so maybe the people making those are just not checking all their facts or whatever.

quote:

Which countries use A4

Today, A4 Paper is used by most countries around the world. With the exception of the United States of America and Canada. Many South American countries such as Mexico, Costa Rica, Chile, Venezuela and more, have officially taken on the A4 paper standard. However, the most common paper size in these countries is still 'Letter Size'.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

HolySwissCheese posted:

The Vac 700/20 deal was too good to pass up. The shipping was $3 for 2-3 days USPS, so it must be domestic.

Yeah I broke on that too. No stub nibs, but if I don't like the EF nib I can always try getting it ground to something odd like an oblique or whatever and then buy a 1.1 nib if that fails.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

404notfound posted:

Goulet Pens apparently partnered with Monteverde to design this pen: http://www.gouletpens.com/Monteverde_Invincia_Deluxe_Nighthawk_p/mv41350.htm

:drat:
I have this pen, but not the stealth version, mine is called "Black Tie". It's pretty heavy but a very good writer. Actually scratch that, I have a normal Invincia, not the Deluxe. Not sure what the difference is, but if the regular one writes well, then I would expect the deluxe to be as good if not better. Looks like it uses Titanium instead of Iridium in the nib, but otherwise I guess the difference is styling.

Vitamins posted:

Oh wow that's sexy. I love the colour of Ruthenium plating. Not a fan of the matte black clip though, can't help think it'd look better in silver, but then I guess it wouldn't be a 'stealth' pen.

They have a Black Chrome version you might like better, and also a non-stealth one with chrome accents.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
Got my Vac 700 and ink bottle today. It came with an extra EF nib taped to the side of the pen's box for some reason...so my plan to get the nib ground down to some weird oblique thing seems to be nigh fool-proof now.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Solkanar512 posted:

Uh, that extra nib is most likely the new nib that Vac 700s now come with. Try both nibs first and see if there's a difference.

SnakesRevenge posted:

Yeah, the one on the pen is the Bock nib, which they changed around the beginning of the year as those tended to be quite dry. The one on the box is a Jowo nib, that they've been issuing since.
If you plan to mess with one, definitely play with the one that came on the pen.
Hmm, the one in the pen seems to be pretty drat smooth as it is, but okay, I'll keep that in mind.

Edit: Would I be able to switch nibs on this with it inked up, or would it being a vac make that a terrible idea?

Brightman fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 24, 2013

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

SnakesRevenge posted:

Should be able to swap them no problem. In fact, with the blind cap screwed in all the way, the ink reservoir is blocked off completely (which is good to know before the feed dries out and you wonder why your pen has stopped working.)
Yeah I'm still not sure about that, like I'm not sure if I'm unscrewing it enough or what. It'll just dry up entirely if it's left closed though? Guess I could just write a bunch and then switch the nibs then no problem. Although I had tried to unscrew the grip when I first got it to get a better look at the nib that's in there (thought the feeds might've been different) but it didn't seem to wanna budge.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

cobalt impurity posted:

Welp, looks like I finally can't justify not having Iroshizuku inks! Adding this to the OP.

I don't think this is wise. The shipping rates look like they'll knock it back up to about what it normally costs here, and also they don't tell you what you'll be charged, just have a chart of rates based on grams, and I'm not sure how much the package will weigh...so...it could be more expensive...the minimum is about 12 bucks for 300 grams, and then 15 bucks for 1.10 pounds. Also no idea how long it'll take to ship from Japan.

Also just buy some of the ink, it's great and ink last so drat long anyway.

Edit: We really need someone who's going to Japan anyway with space in a checked bagged for ink...an ink mule.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 31, 2013

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Yoshi Jjang posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for massive-sized and/or weighty fountain pens? I'm talking about pens that are 7~8 inches or more in length or just straight up made out of metal or something. I want huge and heavy.

While I was at the airport in London, I was looking at some Montblanc pens at their store, and I was checking out the Meisterstück 149, and I just have to have it, or at least something like it. Obviously, I didn't have $800 on me, and I don't feel justified to spend that much on a pen just yet since I'm still sort of kind of new to all this.

teethgrinder posted:

You could check out the Sailor 1911. It's similar to Mont Blancs, but probably half that cost, and functions a hell of a lot better.

edit:

$250 on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Sailor-1911-Large-Fountain-Black/dp/B0040QYXJ4

edit2: you might not want a music nib though

I was going to point out that the standard size (17.2g) is only $155 on https://isellpens.com but they're looking for a large pen. They don't have normal large 1911s on there anymore, just the Realos, but they are on sale for just $300 now. Also the Pro Gear is on sale for $248, and while it's a different style, it is slightly heavier (21.6g) than the Realo (21.4g), so that might be a good option, granted they're both still pretty light. Metal pens are pretty much the way to go for a weighty feel, the heaviest I have is a Monteverde Invincia (40g), but I don't think it's all that long and the style is even farther from the Meisterstück (30g). Really the way to go on this request would probably be the metal TWSBIs that are coming out "soonish".

fake edit: Added the weights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Yoshi Jjang posted:

Actually, before I just posted my question, I did just order a Monteverde Invincia Deluxe. It didn't even occur to me that it would be heavy. Now I'm pretty excited to try it out. :buddy:

I got the Jinhao X450 a while ago, and I totally love the feel of it. It's heavy and it glides so well. Best four bucks I ever spent. I'll probably get the 159, too, because hey, these pens are cheap.

I have a Jinhao x450 too (it broke eventually, body came undone from the screw bit) and the Invincia is heavier. It also writes really nice, and since you got the Deluxe it should write even nicer.

Also since I googled stuff about Mont Blanc earlier Google Now is now telling me that there's a Mont Blanc boutique 21 minutes from my current location. Maybe someday that information will be useful...someday.