Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

cobalt impurity posted:

So how does that Office Max pen write? Is it a nail or is it actually usable-but-cheap like the Preppy?

Slightly scratchy, but it leaves down a nice wet line, I am planning to turn it into an eyedropper, like the Preppy.

Just need to find o rings, and buy me some silicone grease. Might actually waste another pair of bucks in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Blue and green. Pack comes with red and black too, one cart of each of those colors.

Shameful handwriting, but I don't care.

When posted, they feel quite nice. Without the cap, I feel they are far, far too small.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
I like getting cheap cheap cheap pens.
Is there any option to get ridiculously cheap inks anywhere?

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Has anyone bought anything from ASAPens? Handmade ebonite eye dropper for 14 bucks sounds like too good a deal.

http://asapens.in/eshop/gama-airborne-marbled-finish-regular-ebonite-eyedropper-fountain-pen

I hope it is good. Going from cheapo Chinese to cheapo Indian :D

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

dino. posted:

THIRTY pens! :catstare: I'm at like 8 and I think it's too many.

No such thing as too many.

It is a goddamn addiction

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
I carry two jinhaos (x450 and x165, lamy red and a mix of lamy red and black), a platinum preppy with noodler's heart of darkness, and a safari with lamy blue to work.

I actually take notes with all of them and need to reink them weekly.
Even the preppy. I need to get silicone grease. And a wider variety of inks.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Found my cheapest thing so far

Cap'n Murrika. 7 pesos. That is around half a dollar, with 6 blue cartridges.

Have not opened it yet and tried it. Will do so later.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
My Platinum Preppy's cap has stopped gripping as well as it used to. That's a bit problematic since it is the one I use the most, and the ONLY one I ink with Heart of Darkness.

Literally, my workhorse pen.

Also my 10 pack of Hero 3266/360 degree pens has arrived. Now I just have to wait for the 15 bottle ink parcel I ordered on September to arrive to be prepared for the christmas season.

Luisfe fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 1, 2014

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
I just got my first pair of Indian pens. For the price of one. I am definitely buying more poo poo from Asapens.

I bought the Gama Airborne, very cheap, ebonite.
It came with an extra, an acrylic Oliver Matrix (I have not been able to find any information about THIS particular model)

It's got pretty colors.

Terrible picture. It is a rather pretty green with brown/black swirls.

Ebonite body, feed, and barrel, Interesting.

I am an idiot and forgot to flush the Gama with water + soap first. I did with the Oliver, and it writes nicely.

Dissassembled.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Lord Girlyman posted:

For maximum weird resin smell, you could go for an Indian flex pen from Fountain Pen Revolution. I purchased a giant eyedropper from them that has become one of my favorite pens.

Despite Noodler's pens being from India and all that, I've had much better luck with Airmail/Wality pens writing out of the box. That could be because FPR cleans them thoroughly.

FPR is having a 50% off sale for a bunch of their Airmail pens. You could pair one of those with one of their flex nibs and go nuts.

This but also for asapens. I got an ebonite and they threw in an acrylic for free.

The acrylic has a really funky smell. Still has after over a week. It writes VERY well now, but it really needed a detergent flush at first

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
This is the greates thing I've seen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4XpwLHPlhw

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
My handwriting is horrendous still. So fun.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
My sister gave me a Monteverde Invincia for Christmas. I will need to escalate and gift her something rather nice for her birthday.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Bad pics of my pens.

Hero 360 thing
Kind of a ripoff of the Sailor Trident nib. This one is simpler, instead of 3 prongs, this one is actually two. Closer to a Pilot Parallel than anything else.
I bought a bunch of them with the purpose of keeping one, and giving away 9 to friends and family in christmas/birthdays. So far I've given away 3 and kept this one for myself.

The one I kept for myself seems to have been the dud of the bunch

The nib was horribly scratchy and only wrote in certain angles (the two on the sides, not covered with the black plastic), but after a bunch of grinding it down with a... Sharpening stone? Thing, it is honestly very satisfying. Writes on nearly all angles, but there are still annoying scratchy points.
I like it a lot anyways. Pretty much a drat good combination of Ballpoint and fountain, but definitely was a fixer upper (the others I've given away worked perfectly from the getgo)

I like using Waterman Harmonious Green in it.

Oliver Matrix
indian acrylic. Really pretty. The nib was scratchy but with a minor adjustment, it works wonderfully.

It used to be scratchy, but a minor adjustment fixed that up. The only issue I have with it is that it smells bad. Oh, and since the feed does not buffer all that well, it also burps when low on ink.

It used to ALL smell bad. But now it is just the section.

Gama Airborne
Ebonite. Feed, body, all but nib. It smells like a tire when you rub it. It is also an eyedropper, and it is fantastic. It doesn't burp.

The issues I have with it is that it has a VERY low ink capacity. And it takes like 4 turns to uncap.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

grack posted:

I've been tempted by the pictures of those Oliver acrylic pens. Do they not come with Schmidt nibs?

It says that they have Schmidt nibs, yeah. http://asapens.in/eshop/fountain-pen/oliver-chennai-online/oliver-f27-acrylic-fountain-pen-schmidt-nib

But then again the Oliver I got was apparently a freebie with the ebonite pen. Speaking of, I placed an order for another ebonite thing, hopefully it arrives before February, haha.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
My FPR Guru finally arrived, my handwriting is still ridiculously bad :D

FPR Guru, flex nib, Private Reserve Tanzanite.

Nibshot!

The clip is the ugliest thing ever, haha.

But for 12 bucks (plus 3 shipping), that's fantastic.
Piston filler with flex nib thing. Neat.

It came with this freebie.

Same cap design, VERY different nib. No piston filling on this one, eyedropper.

And a group shot of all my Indian pens. There's another thing from Asapens in transit, should be here in around a month and a half, and I will place an order for a red Triveni Jr. from FPR on February.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Fall posted:

Not bad. At that price point I'd be comfortable shoving it into the same pocket as my keys, too.

How's the quality control?

They all work. The Serwex and the Guru worked perfectly out of the box (surprised that I did not even need to flush them), while the Gama and the Oliver needed flushing, and a slight tine adjustment.

So far, I haven't had a dud from India, but then again, FPR is supposed to send tested stuff. In the case of the two from Asapens, there is an option to have them test the pen before shipping.

Luisfe fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jan 14, 2015

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
There's a new thing from Asapens. The image made it look small, but apparently it is a jumbo eyedropper?
http://asapens.in/eshop/asa-galactic-jumbo-acrylic-demonstrator-fountain-pen

Seems neat, I like the fogged up look.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Is there enough ink in the bottle to cover the entire nib unit? If not, there's not enough ink to fill it, probably. Did you try filling with with water beforehand, to flush it?

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Dangit. The silicone bit in my guru's piston broke.

It was very easy to fix though, replace the broken bit with the rubber... seal from a 3milliliter syringe. I was using that syringe to refill a Varsity (that I have not used in a month, should use it more, haha) and now it works perfectly.
User serviceability is nice.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Damnit, I hosed up my FPR Guru, in one week, ahahah.
The piston/plunger had a sharp edge, and thus broke the sealing bit. Again. Sanded it down with a nail file so the next time it doesn't break that bit.. I am whittling down/erodinga brand new 3ml syringe stopper bit. It's taking a while.

I am gonna order another one (along with a triveni) at the beggining of February as a birthday self gift, haha. Hopefully that'll last longer.

Edit, or I could get a couple of o rings and do this. Yes. That'll work.
http://cornishworkshop.blogspot.mx/2014/04/problematic-pistons.html

Luisfe fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jan 20, 2015

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
To refill all my cartridges, I use a 5ml syringe. I blunted the tip of the needle by rubbing it against a wall until it was not pokey anymore.
It works perfectly.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Okay, the first package I thought was completely missing from an Ebay transaction arrived. Bought a pair of blue Jinhao 599s on September the third 2014, planning to give them away on Christmas or new Years or something.
From September to February, haha.
Did not consider them too big a loss, they were 1.5 or so bucks each (free shipping) and the rest of the stuff I had gotten to give away arrived just in time.
Oh well, they write well and are very smooth. Gonna give one to my dad and one to my sister (unless she rejects it because she does not like the Lamy Safari and its knockoffs that much). 6 months is the longest it's taken for something to arrive, haha.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
My Asapens Athlete just came in. I really like it.
http://asapens.in/eshop/asa-athlete-ebonite-fountain-pen-india-online

It has a MASSIVE ink capacity, by virtue of being an eyedropper filler, and apparently it is really rather good at not burping ink all over the place when low (we'll see), the color is a very nice rippled brown, and the threads are ridiculously smooth. It is fantastic.
Or it would be if it did not come with a rather major issue.
The nib it comes with is by FAR the worst nib I've had. Ridiculously scratchy, AND the slit between the tines is weirdly angled, one of the tines nearly has no tipping.

So, what is one to do? Well, fortunately they put a spare nib!
Except, that the spare nib does not fit. At all. It is smaller than the original nib, and thicker it seems.
It was pretty hard to remove the original nib, but it seems impossible to put the replacement they provided in it. Dangit!

So, what is one to do? Why, of course! Cannibalize old stuff!
So my trusty Jinhao X450 is the only pen with a nib of a similar enough size. And it just so happens that the ebony feed with the jinhao nib FITS PERFECTLY, and should be easy enough to remove once I need to remove it.

Good excuse as any to buy a different 450 in the near future, I guess! And now I will have spare parts. Not a spare nib though.
Also I should get a number 6 nib.

This really is an addiction.

Useless without pics. End result:

Worst nib ever

Really scratchy

Luisfe fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Feb 11, 2015

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Aggh. I think I lost my Gama Airborne. I cannot find it anywhere.

First pen I lose and it is one of my favorites/daily carry things.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Kessel posted:

Get a blunt-tipped syringe. You can find it in pharmacies and often travel stores.

Or a regular syringe and blunt up the needles. That works wonderfully.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Soylent Yellow posted:

So it seems that I was drunk in control of an ebay account a few days ago. A 10-pack of Hero 616s dropped through my letterbox today. The first one I try doesn't fill properly. I'm sure I can find a workable pen in the other 9.

Remove the metal cover on the sac, press it directly. It will fill up more efficiently and better.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Some interesting things and findings!

Cheapo Office Max fountain pens. 4 for 30 pesos, which is around 2 dollars now.
I will check if I can remove the branding and use them as gift pens, replacing my usual Hero 616s and whatnot, these are EVEN CHEAPER! And not half bad for that price.

Hand written:
Due to horrible handwriting, will transcribe.

Zebra Fuente Disposable Fountain Pen

In Blue. The blue ink seems to flow rather well. Strange, since the feed is NOT flush with the nib itself.

It is as smooth as the Pilot Varsity, but in my opinion, slightly prettier. And considerably cheaper (Half the varsity's price here)

It has an ink window, useful to gauge how much ink is left.

Cap seems VERY similar to the Platinum Preppy's. Could be used as a replacement cap?

I hope that it is as easy to refill as the varsity. I will attempt to do so after emptying it of its original load.

For 26 MXN, one can do far worse. But the nib not sitting against the feed is slightly worrysome.

Pelikan Twist
My first Pelikan!
It is certainly an eye catcher. Very unconventional! Extremely comfortable!

Nib is not the smoothest I have, but it seems like it would make for a very comfortable workhorse.
Ink level is not easily visible. Using one of the included cartridges.

Feasible to turn it into an eyedropper filler?

I have no complaints. Particularly for the price I got it for (30 MXN, down from 175 MXN). It would be well worth the original price.
Main issue is that it lacks a clip.

Fountain Pen Revolution Triveni JR in Red Ebonite

Filled with Waterman Mysterious Blue. I love the texture of ebonite. I also like the smell. Have not licked it to try the flavor, though.

Equipped with a FPR blanded Flex Steel Nib. It works well, but the plastic feed cannot keep up with it.

It railroads much more than both my FPR Gurus that have ebonite feeds.

Using it in Eyedropper mode. Massive ink capacity! Included converter seemed a bit flimsy.

Eventually I will get the Acrylic version. Other than the feed, I am very happy with this piece. Very fun, but not as striking as the acrylic versions.

(I really like the mysterious blue)

Ink level is not readily apparent, can be messy.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
About a month ago, I got a package of mini-fountain pens similar to the Pilot Petit, in size, if not on quality. They are nice, and in the last month, they have worked very well when turned into eyedropper fillers.

Around 2 USD for a pack of 4? That is honestly a pretty decent deal.

The pack contains one green, one red, one blue and one black pen, each with a single cartridge of a matching color.

Turned two of them into eyedropper fillers with a bit of silicone grease (I do not have clear silicone grease, but white has worked well for me, if not aesthetically pleasing at all)

I have not seen feeds like that in other pens. Seems to be plastic.

This week, at Office Depot, I got a binder filled with something called Stone paper. Made with marble and high density polyethilene.
The packaging said it is waterproof, which does not really bode well for fountain pen use, but so far I've had weird results with it.

It seems to work well enough, even though the nibs scrape the surface. It takes a while to dry up compared to regular paper, as well.

The surface scraping is a bit annoying.

It has VERY WEIRD blotching and feathering. It feathers like mad in some points, and not at all in others, even though the pen dropped way more ink in it.

It only bled through in a spot where I punctured the page. It is very weird and the texture is a bit offputting.

But now I have 100 pages of the stuff, and will have to use them.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

CoolCat posted:

Who recycles their old cartridges?

I refill them whenever they dry up or get empty due to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Aww, there are no more 1 dollar jinhao x450s. Oh well.