Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Lord Girlyman posted:

Rhodia paper is pretty much better in every way, it also comes in dot grid. Dot grid paper is awesome.
This is Absolute Truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Let's talk pen repair and restoration.
More specifically, resources, names, websites. Loop me in.
I've got a brace of pens that's been sitting at a supposedly well respected repairman's shop for around 10 months now, his explanation is that 'I work 9 months out it just takes time' and honestly, I only have a couple of pens worth that amount of patience (and they're in perfect condition so it's a moot point) so at the risk of sounding pissy, I'm just tired of waiting and would like to review my options for future use.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Once you have a little experience it may be tempting to offer your repair services to others. I gently suggest you deny this temptation; it will only lead to pain.
Haha hell no, not a chance.
I'm willing to do a lot of things but I don't deal in areas of a lot of 'corksniffery' (for example, I sell a LOT of guitars and misc equipment, I will NOT sell vintage equipment myself, gently caress no), thanks for the advice tho'. :)

Thanks for the tips! I'm gonna check these out, I really just want to do my own work on my increasingly larger collection of 'old, cool but broken' pens.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Vitamins posted:

I think repairing pens for people might be quite fun, as long as they agreed that if I broke it it wouldn't be my problem :v:.
As much as I enjoy the hobby, the amount of sperging over at FPN over minute, tiny details that I'd never notice nor worry about is enough to warn me off that route. Goons, maybe, I've offered to hone straight razors over in the other thread since I've gotten more confident but I'd never consider offering that to the general public, much less someone who's an aficionado in the hobby.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Kheldragar posted:

I'm loving the sound it makes when he writes; it's almost like a marker.
The broad on one of my Montblanc squeaks a bit when I write with it on good paper, it sounds awesome in a library where it's all quiet.

Here's something I learned last weekend.
Go around and hit the estate sales, normally most of them are run by 2 or 3 locals who specialize in that thing. None of them seem to give a drat about fountain pens and after meeting them a few times 'oh hey so you guys are here too? WOW awesome, got pens?' they've started holding on to them for me and I just pick them up whenever. I end up with a lot of junk because it's a 'hey don't worry about sorting it I won't pick and choose, you just give me a good price on the lot and I'll walk up and give you money every week or two'. Works out well. I've been doing it for shaving gear too.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Verdugo posted:

Anyone else feel [outside of this thread] if you're not spending $300 on a pen, any questions / concerns you have about stuff is just flat out ignored?

Yes, absolutely (and even though I happen to own a few fairly pricey Montblancs this still happens in their boutiques).

The answer you're seeking is TWSBI. Absolute best customer service I've experience from any company. EVER.
Even when I explained that I ran one of their 540s through the wash they still insisted on sending me a complete set of replacement parts.

Fantastic company and one that I love to recommend, they deserve the dedicated customers they have.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

EagerSleeper posted:

Hi there, I was thinking about buying one of my first fountain pens since not only am I interested in trying to be a little more ecofriendly, I'm also interested in having a tool that's long-lasting. The only thing that's holding me back from completing my order online when I already have a whole shopping cart's worth of stuff is that it's the holiday season and I'm afraid that good discounts are going to be available right after I purchased something. I was wondering do any online suppliers have a history of special prices during the holiday seasons?

Also, here's a list of things that I plan to purchase:

o) Pilot Penmanship (Extrafine nib)
o) Pilot Metropolitan (Medium nib)
o) Pilot Petit1 (Fine nib)
o) J. Herbin ink cartridges (yeah I read that Pilot pens doesn't really take international cartridges but, I'm hoping that I can take the ink from the J. Herbin and refill any spent Pilots)

Have I taken the lover's leap too much?
That's not a bad jump at all! Instead of carts, look at picking up some converters, you WILL be much happier in the long run, and go ahead and pick up at least one bottle of ink while you're at it. Trust me. Trust the random dude on the internet.

I don't know about any specials during the holidays, but if you use the FPN code during checkout with the Goulet folks, you get a nice discount.
I wouldn't wait for the holidays however, go ahead!

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Any hints on good pen stores in and around Boston and Metro West? I've got a car, a pen case with a few empty slots and picked up some new straight razors yesterday so it's time to shift the shopping target.

Stores in and around cool areas to wander around in move to the top of the list. I already know about the Montblanc boutique in Copley.

Also, if anyone wants to snag a lunch or something at some point and nerd out about pens or whatever, let me know. I'm just up here hanging out meeting folks and walking around with a guitar, it's awesome.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

asylum years posted:

Alright, in the interest of not supporting a Libertarian quack, I'm adjusting my ink purchases
I don't think I'd necessarily go that far, Nathan's a nutjob but he makes wonderful inks, even Baystate Blue (my absolute favorite blue) hasn't been as ill behaved in my experience as others might say. Enjoy his inks, ignore his politics and I'd just let it go at that (and I do, I've got a fairly large collection of Noodler's inks).

BSB IS a definite stainer however, I only use it in my TWSBI ROC540 and the inside of the barrel will forever be, I'm sure, a tinge blue. It compliments the pen nicely and I doubt I'll ever ink it with anything else (the two just go together so well, the ink really compliments the F nib on that one) so I'm not horribly concerned.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Yeah, this all came up on the exact day (yesterday) that I had planned on ordering my 2014 Rhodia Web Planner. Ordered a Hobonichi instead, we'll see how it goes. I've been using the Rhodia for 3 years now and absolutely love them, the Hobonichi looks similar in principle, I'm excited to try it out.

It was right at $54 including shipping and a nice cover (not one of the crazy expensive ones, obviously) so that's not TOO bad I think.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Either carry it into a Montblanc boutique or send it to their repair facility. You're probably looking at around $200 for the repair which will also include a complete overhaul including nib tuning.

The nibs vary a bit from year to year, most of mine vary a bit, even within the same model line.

That's a nice pen, you going to keep it?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Mad Lupine posted:

Oh jeez of course it's $200 for repairs. I found a boutique a few minutes away so I'll check tomorrow. What's worse is that I found out this pen is my mom's and she's been looking for it for a while now. If it's that expensive to fix I'll have to get it fixed after the holidays. :negative:

After finding out exactly what it was, I wish I could. Sadly, it's not mine to keep.
Chin up, if the boutique can fix it it'll likely be free! That price btw is what I was charged for almost the same repair on a slightly older pen, so there's that .

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Huh, apparently my Hobonichi arrived today, that's incredibly fast shipping!

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

comaerror posted:

Mine just showed up too! I'm pleased that there's even a little space for December 2013 so I can start drowning it in ink immediately.
For real! Not a bunch of extra, worthless weeks and months either, but actually planned well as in 'ok it's the end of the year time to migrate over', I was extremely pleased with that little detail.

Overall I'm very happy, it's a little smaller than I expected, I'm more used to the Rhodia Web Planner, of which I'm a HUGE fan, I've used them for the past 4 years or so and don't really have any complaints.

Anyway, smaller than expected but still seems to have plenty of room for whatever I want to write, crisp paper that holds ink of all colors (so far) wonderfully and shows shading VERY well (my current fav shading ink is the Black Swan in English Roses) and has very little bleed through, even with my super wet MB Italic. The paper's pretty sturdy so far as well, I pulled out a semi-scratchy vintage pen (that I use because the nib is so perfectly flexible, I just haven't smoothed it out yet) and the paper never minded the scratchy nib in the slightest.

The cover, and I opted for the cheap 'Apple Green' variant, is surprisingly well made and comes with a rain(?) cover as well that includes a ziploc access slot to the pocket, seriously, everything about this just screams 'well thought out'. Build quality on the planner and the cover seem to be really good too.

Runs around twice what the Rhodia costs, including shipping (it was around $50 I think?), is a little smaller, but has a very strong 'huh, cute' appeal (if that matters to you), TONS of cover options available, some at absolutely insane prices and some very cool ones at more reasonable points. I think I'll be using a Rhodia as a desk planner and will replace the Rhodia in my bag with the Hobonichi, if for no other reason than I enjoy a bit of color.

I'm pretty pleased overall, yes I also went with the Japanese text version, maybe because I'm omgsokawaii or something, but the layout is still quite clear and has a clear date format that includes Arabic numerals indicating month/day.

If you want something different that's very useable and made well, definitely give one of them a try. I can't really see anyone being disappointed in one of these, and while I usually despise 'communities' built around things of this sort, I have to admit, the hobonichi 'culture' has been a lot of fun to look at.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

milpreve posted:

Where did you buy the Japanese Hobonichi?
1101.com, just a combination of a walk-through I found online and liberal use and deciphering of Chrome's built-in translation features.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

I fly a lot and have never had any issues of any sort regarding my pens.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

wodan22 posted:

Not really sure if I'm ready to commit the Hobonichi yet, but I'm considering getting a planner. Can someone talk a bit more about the Rhodia Web Planner? I've seen the pics and info on the Goulet Pens site, but don't really have a "feel" for it yet. Can you tell me what's good/bad about it or what you like/don't like, or genreal impressions?
The paper is utterly fantastic. Smooth, crisp and takes ink wonderfully. It takes a bit to dry (as does any nice FP friendly paper) so don't be too quick to snap the book shut after jotting a note.

The binding is very nice, it's sturdy and really just begins showing some wear at the end of the year, and I pull mine out throughout the day, OFTEN.
The cover is a nice, leather-esque sort of material, looks nice and business like, I really wish they were available in orange tho.

The layout is the week on the left page and a blank (graph squares) sheet for notes on the right, and I was dubious at first but LOVE this format, I'll never accept anything else, grids are the way to go.

A nice touch, in addition to the silk bookmarker, each page has a perforated corner, so as you progress through the year, you remove the corner and flip immediately to the current date. Great little bit of detail there.

Honestly, there's nothing I don't love about it, the only real reason I went with the Hobonichi was curiosity, and now that I see the size difference, I'm really just using that as an excuse to say 'well yeah, I'll use the Rhodia as my DESK planner' when in reality, it'll be more of a companion in general to the Hobonichi. I'll probably use the Rhodia more for business (the pocket in the back makes my accountant happy with receipts) and the Techo More for day to day life. Again, neither is better or worse than the other (although I'd have to give the edge to the paper in the Techo, were I held to it), I just have an addiction to good planners and paper things, and these so far are the two best that I've ever encountered.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

supercow posted:

Are there any cheaper alternatives to rotring 600? I really dig the design but don't really have the cash to spend at minimum $100 likely closer to $200 on ebay.
They're $33 on Jetpens, unless you're insistent on getting an old one.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

supercow posted:

Err I meant the rotring 600 fountain pen. Unless I'm missing something, seems like jetpens only has the mechanical pencil.

Sorry, I didn't even consider that being what you meant. I DID think it was a bit odd asking for a pencil I this thread but figured I'd try and be helpful anyway!

I just saw Rotring 600 and went with it.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

I love mine more and more every time I use it, it really is the perfect little companion!
So far I've had 2 people comment on it (I have the bright green cover).

Hey, if I posted a couple of pics, would one of you be able to translate the last few pages? I know they're for personal info or something, but I dunno exactly what and would appreciate some help.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Thanks guys!
Gimme a bit and I'll get it up later tonight!

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Here goes, thanks again guys!
I included all of the final pages (except the obvious ones) just out of curiosity, it's the personal info pages that I'm most interested in.

Thanks!

And here, the most important page:

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Tulip posted:

Ok this is a lot of poo poo so i'll just translate this last page. The image before it, with a ton of years, is actually mad useful - it's convertor, for Imperial Calendar dates and Gregorian ones (only the years are different - for example, 1912 is year 2 of the Taisho(Great Truth) era).

The last page, going left to right (boxes seperated by |)
You are AWESOME and I love you!
May I have your Paypal address or your Amazon wish list?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Demon_Corsair posted:

You really managed to misspell Bay State Blue there. And twice no less.
I had to struggle to not correct him regarding BSB, nice. :)

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

The Entire Universe posted:

And you misspelled Blue Pen Dye.
Hey hey, let's not let this get out of hand, there are plenty of other, more worthy things to argue about.

Like those goofy bastards who insist on posting their caps.
HEATHENS

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Noodler's Purple Heart is a good dusty purple

Yup, it's absolutely beautiful.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

:sigh:

If you've ever asked me for recommendations on pen repairs or nibmeisters, I may have recommended Ron Zorn of Main Street Pens. I probably also warned you that their stated turnaround is about 16 weeks/4 months, and to be patient.

I'm afraid I gotta change my tune. I just did some calculations, and Ron Zorn has had some of my pens for fourteen months now, and I've had to badger them to receive a mere 5 status updates in that time period.

I just want my Mabie Todds fixed and returned :(

Yeah, I'm slightly past the year mark with the Southern Scribe and would really just like my poo poo back.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Red-Black is a gorgeous ink color, by the way.

I prefer a finer nib, but fountain pens are such a joy to write with.
I prefer finer nibs myself for generic writing, notes and such but once you start getting into inks with shading properties and such you really REALLY need to experiment a bit with wider/italic nibs to bring out those subtleties in the inks.

My favorite, utterly FAVORITE red ink is the Hitchcock limited edition ink from Montblanc. After my first bottle I bought a few (more than I care to admit) just to keep it around forever. It dries like blood and is utterly beautiful.

Motley posted:

Does paper make a difference. I find that my Safari is not too pleasant to write with on super cheap lined notebook paper. Can anyone recommend some good note-taking, daily use paper?
Paper makes a HUGE difference but you don't necessarily have to break the bank to get good stuff. Clairefontaine and Rhodia have been mentioned already, but the Tomo River paper is FANTASTIC stuff, it's kind of pricey tho'.
Goulet has their Apica line and they're priced well, made well and write very well.

I've seen it suggested to go buy paper tailored for laser printers as well, but I haven't tried it myself.

Honestly, just try anything and everything, you'd be surprised.

Edit: OH and in other happy surprise news, Hobonichi sent me a happy little Christmas card! Not a big thing, but kind of nice from a company just because I bought one of their Techo planners. So far, now that I've used mine for the better part of a month, I'm still as enraptured as I could possibly be. LOVE LOVE LOVE.

iostream.h fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jan 25, 2014

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Breadnought posted:

Read through the thread after seeing a cool looking pen on the Hobonichi Techo tumblr and wondering what it was (a Lamy Safari). Now I've got a White Lamy Safari, a bottle of Konpeki, and a Kakuno. I can see this being a long and dangerous road, especially since I've got a pretty neat pen store by my town.

Speaking of the Techo, I've just got to say, the more I use mine, the more I get into having goofy fun with pasting in movie tickets and stuff, the more I absolutely ADORE the damned thing. Love love love the Techo. Plus, again, they sent me a Christmas card!

Customer for life here.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Hi FP thread long time no post! (Although I still read obsessively)

I'm in Boston and the area for a few weeks and, other than a little stationary shop in Cambridge and the Montblanc boutique in Copley, are there any good FP shops around?

Also, I'm STILL trying to find an original TWSBI Micarta without the clip, if anyone has one and wants to unload it.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

RustedChrome posted:

I got the new ROC TWSBI 580 in yesterday with an EF nib.
Oh hell, thanks for posting that! I adore my ROC 540 and have been wanting another because it's had some QC issues and the replacement parts TWSBI provided (free of charge and without question I should add) have changed the way it looks quite a bit.

I also see there's a new Micarta so double score for me, thanks a lot!

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

I like to make fun of people and their harmless hobbies until I remember I paid :10bux: to post words on an internet forum.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

blue squares posted:

Thanks, everyone. I have some good suggestions to look at. I'm going to go out and hopefully find something today, since I finished my old notebook (with a rollerball pen) last night. I'm just a picky guy, too. I don't like wirebound notebooks because I have a hard time writing on the left side where my hand starts to run up against the wire. I don't get how people do that.

edit: Mission accomplished! Thanks for the Staples tip. I didn't like the specific one recommended because of the spiral, but they have these 1-subject wireless notebooks, college ruled, 80 sheets 8.5x11, $1.50. No bleed through, very minimal see-through. I bought ten for writing and for school.

It's more than you stated your budget allowed, but I can't recommend the Tomo River Paper enough, it's $15/100 with free shipping from JetPens.
I debated for a bit on whether or not to mention it at all, but since you DID say you were writing your novel on it, I figured it couldn't hurt to mention.

It's one of those things that isn't 'oh well that's a bit nicer', it's the most amazing paper I've ever used (and if I'm not mistaken, it's what's in my Hobonichi Tetcho) and it'd make a hell of an archive of your book.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

aldantefax posted:

Speaking of which - anybody wanna go in on that? :whatup:
Not sure if you're in the US or not, but free shipping on it at the moment from the link I posted earlier.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Landsknecht posted:

So who here has fancy pens? By fancy pens I mean something with an MSRP of about 500+ USD; this is a world I have little to no experience in.

Are high-end pens all they're cracked up to be? Is there a significant quality jump over "normal" $100 - $200 pens?
I have a few Montblancs that have a fairly pricey MSRP, 146, 149 a Sterling 149 style something or other and while they're nice pens (and the sterling is my favorite) they're not necessarily anything that writes any better than some of the other nice pens. I've compared my TWSBI ROC 540 to a 146 favorably in the past because, while they don't share the same quality of construction their writing characteristics are quite similar.

They're quite nice, built well, they feel 'solid', much moreso than any other pens I have but no, I wouldn't say they're anything that's a huge jump over a nice, new $200 pen.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Landsknecht posted:

I'll be honest here, the only situation where I could ever see myself owning a MB is if someone would give one to me.
The local dealer closed in a fairly crappy way (employees came in to find a truck being loaded) and had a 'make cash offers' on their inventory, I bought a ton of crap, flipped most of it and kept a few things I like, in addition to the pens. Made a bit of a profit on top of keeping the pens I liked. No, I don't see any scenario where I could ever justify spending that kind of money on a pen (except the Edgar Allan Poe MB, I love that pen and WILL have one some day).

Landsknecht posted:

As an aside, are you a sort of white collar professional where having nice stuff (branded car, wristwatch, pens, etc.) is the norm du jour? I've always imagined these sort of people as the key demographic for the "prestige" brands of pens.
Nope. I'm a musician, mostly guitar. Long-haired, nose-pierced, loud-rear end raucous rock and roll for the most part, although professionally I make most of my living doing jingles for radio. If I were in another field I'd probably fit the criteria, being fairly solidly middle class and all, but no, a big part of the appeal for those pens (and some of my other possessions, such as my luggage and watches) is the reliability and longevity of them.

As an example (and I'm not trying to ramble on, or brag, you just seem interested in the mindset), my main traveling suitcase (and I travel a LOT) is made by Coach, had a fairly high MSRP and could be considered extravagant as well:

However, the drat thing will not die. It's been through any and every type of airport abuse that can be heaped on it, random bus abuse in the middle of nowhere, backs of trucks, nasty bars, you name it and there's not so much as a stitch out of place. In comparison, I have friends who've laughed at my 'expensive gay man bag' who buy the cheapest thing from Wal-Mart they can find whenever they have a trip and, I'd guess most of them have paid several times more over the years than I did for that one, so in reality, I've paid LESS for my luggage than most of them have.

This is actually a subject I've been interested in for a while. I DO enjoy things that are made well, that have a high quality of construction, I try to make sure that I don't buy something simply because it's 'the thing to buy'. I drive older cars that I pay cash for, I don't have the latest and greatest iPhone and my daily clothes are generally random jeans and t-shirts, my 'special' things are exactly that, something special.

Hopefully that helped and made a little sense and didn't sound like a bunch of rear end in a top hat rambling.

NinjaEdit:

Thelonious Monk posted:

The main difference between a $500+ pen and a sub-$300 pen is all in your head. Functionally it doesn't get much better than your Pilot or Lamy medium tier pens.
Yup. Absolutely.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Landsknecht posted:

Here's some ideas:

1. Pen pals/letters: have friends far away that you don't talk to often? want to start corresponding with someone in another country/continent? Handwritten letters are a great way to keep in touch (as you only have to deal with them once every month), and they feel a hell of a lot better than email. Participate in postcard and letter exchanges through sites like FPN and whatnot, and never forget to send nice handwritten birthday cards.

2. Write poo poo down: Most people try and remember stuff. Instead of that, start recording to-do lists, take notes at work/meetings, keep a pocket notebook around for when you get a good idea (you'll remember your good ideas this way). Taking notes is good even when you're doing something like reading a book, as you can write down nice poo poo that you want to remember.

3. Journal-ing: Keep a diary/journal, maybe everyday, maybe only when you go on vacation, who knows. Just find an excuse to write about your experiences/day.

4. Sketching: Find a place outside, or a picture, and just try and sketch it. Sketching is a fun activity, especially when you're kind of bored, and I find when I'm travelling it's nice to sit down for an hour or so with my pocket notebook and sketch something I find interesting.

5. Be a writer: Write poo poo. Stories, poems, articles, whatever. Some people like to write, others don't. Don't let me tell you what to do.
Those are all great ideas and they DO work!

In addition, it's amazing how much life improves in general when you start developing some of those habits and using tools (such as a well made, quality planner and yes I'll pimp the Hobonichi Tetcho again here) that make it more pleasant.

Pen pals are the most fun, I'd suggest writing to some of your favorite authors, by nature they're some of the most likely to return correspondence.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

If anyone else is interested, the 2015 Hobonichi store goes live August 31 at 7PM PDT.

They've got a preview up now.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

I'm fueling my car so quick reply:

The paper they use is the best ever. Tomoe River paper. Crazy thin, eerily smooth, highlights the shading properties of inks, dries beautifully. I bought a bunch of the paper after trying the planner.

The planner is well thought out. I like the grid squares, the covers are fun to browse through and swap out. It's the perfect size, is 'just' flexible enough, I dunno how to explain it really (it'd be easier if I was a weird Japan-o-phone or something maybe) but I've used day planners all my life, using them to supplement digital calendars when smartphones became useable and this is the first one that I've used that just felt 'right'.

Maybe it's just the exceptionally good paper, might be the community around the drat things, which I s something I usually laugh about, but even though I don't really participate in that it's kind of nice to see such a mundane, utilitarian item garner such a devoted, adoring following.

Dunno, but I haven't had enough sleep and too much coffee already cause that's a bunch of words for a day planner.

The good thing is, unless you get the fancy covers, they're really not too expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

TWSBI's strength isn't even their pens, it's their loving incredible customer service.
I think the only thing they haven't replaced free, without question, on my original ROC 540 is the nib.