Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I just got in my order of a Pilot Metro and some Hero 329s and I'm really enjoying them. My main concern is inks, though. I got the Heroes with the intention of using them at work, but I work in a vet office so any ink has to absolutely be waterproof. I have the Noodler's bulletproof black ink, but was hoping I could get something waterproof in any color. Is my only choice the Noodler Blue-black? I'm not limited in what colors I can use at work, I just have to be able to read my notes after they inevitably get soaked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Oh sweet, thanks a bunch guys :). There's quite a few nice ones here to choose from.

Also seconding the love for isellpens, I did my first order with them and got my stuff in three days. Everything was packaged up tight and the invoice even had a handwritten "thanks for ordering" note.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I decided to go with Legal Lapis from Noodler's, but the only website that carries it is on the fountain pen expo circuit until February 25 :( . Who knew there was such a thing!

It's so pretty, it's worth the wait, and it's bulletproof as well. I'll just stick to the black in the meantime. Thanks for all the help and suggestions :) .

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I don't know about other pens since all I have is two pilot metros BUT I got the medium nib when it first came out and was pretty happy with it. I bought the fine nib a week or two ago and I really love it. It helps that I could get it in purple Leopard when I couldn't before. I like writing with both equally but I really like sketching with the fine point.

So maybe look at the different body styles for the metro if you like the one you have?

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Just got my shipment of Noodler's Blue Ghost in and UV reactive ink is some fun stuff to play around with.

Also I've already gotten it on my fingers and face. I forgot how full Noodler ink bottles are.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Max posted:

Notebook chat - I like this vendor a lot, and satisfies a lot of your requirements: Taroko Design

I don't use them with fountain pens as they're for my art journals, but I can vouch for how quickly this shop puts stuff in the post and the seller sometimes includes small freebies like pencil boards or a postcard . I've ordered three or four times now and never been disappointed.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Does Baystate Blue really destroy and irreparably clog pens? I'm thinking of getting a bottle for a pilot metropolitan and I don't care if it stains it (and everything else in my house) forever, so long as it'll keep writing.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Thanks for the input, sounds like I won't have any issues I don't expect. I've used Noodler's inks before so stains are no surprise.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I was drawn to the inks because the "bulletproof" ones are so permanent, come in a few more interesting colors, and I'm buying for utility and not for sheen or anything (this'll only be my fifth? bottle of ink over the course of several years). I knew about his whole libertarian vibe, but never looked too deep into what he's been putting out since I first picked up some inks.

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE posted:

idk about the volcker green controversy, mildly scared to google that on my work wifi
I don't keep up with fountain pen communities much beyond this thread and hadn't heard about the Volcker Green label until just now. Quote pulled from a Reddit thread:

quote:

Nathan made an ink with a label with Volcker, Bernanke, and Greenspan, all former Federal Reserve Chairs, and it was an ink about how he thought Volcker was the best. He put a halo over Volcker’s head (a Christian) and horns on the other two (both Jewish) which is like a super antisemetic stereotype.
Then issued a half-assed apology when it was pointed out to him and that didn't know the latter two were Jewish which is... bad! It's bad.

There's sure to be other ink makers that hit the targets for what I want in the future.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I've been flying with a pilot metropolitan this month with no issues. To be safest I made sure it was filled (I've heard completely empty is also fine), put it in two ziplocks, and didn't open it in the plane and it's been fine. It's the same idea as flying with a half filled water bottle: it's the air that expands when you go from ground pressure to cabin pressure and if you've ever opened one of those at cruising altitude you know you get that little pop of air. I'd think the main thing to keep you safe is don't open it in the plane at all.

I've heard other pen types might be riskier, depending on how they seal closed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

What was the name of the Pilot Vanishing Point clone again? And is it as convenient as a retractable ballpoint pen? By that I mean does it start with no problem and doesn't leak?

If I got one, it would spend most of its time on a desk. I've only got Pilot Metros but I like how they feel. I'm just drawn to the idea of a retractable because I get distracted while writing and clicking to close or open the pen is nicer for that than capping and uncapping.