Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
Kind of surprised that the goon hivemind has come down on the side of a couple of overly religious bigots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

ClemenSalad posted:

The parents opinions on gay marriage is the least important aspect of this entire situation.

Except that the whole situation kicked off because the mother couldn't handle catching a glance of some lesbians sinning against god or whatever the gently caress

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

ClemenSalad posted:

But thats not the point. Their mom could really loving hate the actor or Chicago or fire and she'd still be right. It doesn't matter at all. The fact that you think the specific topic of the conflict was the important part shows you missed the point.

Except there's nothing bigoted about hating the actor or Chicago or fire. I don't think it's reasonable to expect someone to be sensitive to someone else's bigotry but I understand that's not the popular opinion here.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Thursday Next posted:

It's not "for no reason".

I didn't like the rules my parents imposed, so I worked hard to leave home.

I understand that leaving home is itself a privilege - I had the ability to work hard and make money. If you don't have that privilege, and you are forced to live at home (disability, etc), then the feedback from this thread would be very, very different.

However, that scenario isn't the case. The OP has not given any indication that disability or other extenuating circumstances have forced him and his brother to live at home. He's mentioned laptops and has his own bedroom, so I'm assuming he's not coming from the kind of grinding poverty that can ruin lives. If he were trapped in this place, the advice from E/N would be to discuss it - to work with his parents to come to a better agreement than what he's got. His parents are terrible, it's true.

The OP is living in a home, rent-free. He needs to abide by the rules of that home, or get the gently caress out.

Except none of that makes sense since:

in_cahoots posted:

From what I've read the OP is volunteering full time, has reasonable spending habits, contributes a bit to monthly bills, is trying to further his career, and is looking for a paid job.

He is currently stuck there, he's trying his best to get out but it's not by choice that he lives there. Generally as a parent if your child is trying their darndest to be independant then you shouldn't have any qualms about supporting them until they are. If the OP was just some slacker I'd agree, but that's not the situation that's been described.

Darth123123 posted:

Get the gently caress out of my house. Done.

Also, I pity your bartender "friend" at the bar. You're 'that guy'.

Who exactly is 'that guy'? That one annoying guy who can't stand bigots?

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Morby posted:

People are hounding him about it because any money that he has should be either saved to move out or spent for his part of the family bills. I agree that it's good that he has this unpaid internship and I certainly hope that it works out for , but his folks are doing him a HUGE favor here.

Raising your child until they are self-sufficient isn't doing them a favour, it's your responsibility as a parent.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Darth123123 posted:

He's working at a volunteer position that 80 year old retirees do. He's doing 'work' for a cause, not to further his earning. He has a eng lit degree. And blogs don't count when you don't make money. Nor does a book that. He's been writing since he was a freshman.

That guy is someone who hangs around the bar, ordering waters, and annnoying people and staff.

He's trying to find a paying job - what is so hard to understand about this that people keep ignoring it?

Morby posted:

Well if we believe that his situation is as abusive as he says, yes. If his parents are physically or verbally abusing each other in the house, he needs to get out.

Also he hasn't told us exactly how much he and his brother are contributing to the phone bill/groceries. I'm sure every bit helps, but it ought to be pretty significant.

Yes, but some parents say that after 18 you're an adult and on your own. I was fortunate that my mom didn't feel that way. The OP is fortunate that his parents don't feel that way. Part of still living with your folks as an adult is that you still have to put up with their rules and their nonsense. The only real solution is to move out.

Oh I agree, he has no choice but to put up with it or move out. My point is that he shouldn't be demonised for living at home when he clearly isn't in a position to move out and is working toward fixing that.

putin is a cunt fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

bunnybean posted:

But those are all arguments based on feelings, not facts.

:goonsay:

Yes, gently caress us for using our 'feelings' and 'emotions'. I wish everyone tackled every problem with stone cold logic and a complete disregard for how people might feel.

• Locked thread