Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Benny, do you have an email address you wouldn't mind sharing (you can register one real quick if you don't want your main one on here)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I can vouch that Resumes2interviews does good work, and I'm someone who thought I'd put together a pretty solid resume myself already.

As for Benny, I'm no psychiatrist, but I don't get the impression he has a disorder or anything like that. He just strikes me as someone who's been sheltered his whole life and hasn't formed any kind of 'worldliness'. I think we take 'common sense' for granted, it really isn't something ingrained into our brains. I can easily see a young teenager coming to the same conclusions and weird decisions Benny does. He's about 10-15 years behind where most people his age are in terms of figuring out how the world works, and the only real way to solve that is to just get out there and face the world (also, seeking and heeding the advice of others, of course).

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The recycling place might be crudely and shittily run but that doesn't necessarily mean the place isn't legit, and there's a possibility he might not have been interviewing for the sales position. I've dropped off old electronics to a place like this and there was a receptionist girl who seemed like she didn't really do much except sitting at the desk waiting for people to arrive and telling them to 'put the stuff over there' and also handing out an optional form to fill out if we like. I never got the impression she handled any of the dropped off recyclables herself, either.

If this was an 'administrative' position that he was interviewing for it might be something like that. I'm sure even Benny could handle those responsibilities.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Xenocides posted:

Okay, going to try to do some constructive criticism. I am going to ignore the grammar problems and focus on style and content. This is by no means comprehensive.

I guess it is supposed to be a mystery ending but it comes across as laziness. It is okay if you have a good story to leave the reader with questions but the reader does not even know what questions to ask. The plot holes are too big. More importantly, if I am any indication, the reader does not care to know.

I have no reason to care about any of your characters. The only time I get a glimpse of the inside of the narrator's head at all is when the oracle is telling him his fate but the description is so bland that I see a caricature instead of a character. A good writer can keep my attention with characters I love, hate, pity, am angry at, despise, sympathize with, and so on but your character is too insipid. He is a cardboard cut-out fulfilling a role.

You know, I was about to chime and say I thought you were being too harsh with the story, as I felt it was obviously just withholding information for dramatic effect, to be revealed later on in the story... and then I realized the story really does just end there. It's like a "Poochie died on his way to his home planet"-level ending.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The habitual, almost casual lying actually is a sign of being in an abusive home. The whole "owning up to your mistakes garners you more respect than if you cover it up" simply doesn't apply in abusive households and kids will learn to do whatever is most expedient to avoid trouble or abuse, and then carry that mindset on to their outside lives.

Obviously Benny is an ostensible adult who is responsible for his actions, but it doesn't paint a good picture of his upbringing.

Edit: Hell, even the baby-fetish points to someone who did not receive sufficient or proper care in his childhood.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Are data entry jobs scarce in your neck of the woods, Benny? Because that sounds like the perfect fit for you: entry level, not a lot of executive functioning required (usually), a comfortable office environment... I'm a little surprised it took you until just now to land one. (Though I've noticed as time goes on employers have been masquerading call-taking jobs as "data entry" in a bait-and-switch way, so who knows how this will actually turn out)

Re: the job possibly being some kind of scam, I say even if it's a shady outfit I don't think it's likely they're going to scam Benny, and unless he directly sees something truly heinous (like child labor, etc.) I don't think Benny would be in a position to leave just on moral grounds anyway. If it's an MLM or something but your position is otherwise okay, just do your work, take their money, and then use it as a stepping stone to better yourself and eventually pay it forward.

One more thing: although you're entitled to pat yourself on the back for getting this far and getting a job offer considering what you've been through, I've learned to not consider myself officially having a job until I've signed the tax documents. Hopefully this is what they'll have you do at the orientation (the fact that there is an orientation in the first place is a good sign that they're legit). Although it's no contract, signing a W4 is always the sign that I can feel comfortable assuming I really, really, have the job since I'm officially documented with the IRS and all that.

(Also, don't work a single second before they give you those docs, if they don't give you a W4 to fill out that's your sign that the place is a scam. In fact, if they give you a 1099 to fill out that's probably a sign they're a scam, too, but they'll probably at least pay you for your work).

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Benny the Snake posted:

One of the things I took away from my language acquisition is that language development becomes more difficult the older a person becomes.

What do you mean by 'language acquisition' here?

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Darth123123 posted:

This job is too complicated for Benny.

More than that, I'm surprised that this is a minimum wage job. I don't know enough details, so it might be more simple than it sounds (maybe "using a formula" is simply copy-and-pasting a number into a cell in an already-setup Excel spreadsheet), but considering five years ago I was being paid $10 an hour for a data entry job in which I simply typed in dollar amounts from scanned checks (literally: the entire job was typing numbers you saw on screen), I would have thought a job like this would have been at least a dollar or two over minimum.

Honestly, I know "computer literacy" is pretty much a basic life skill at this point rather than a career-related one, it's still not quite ubiquitous enough that I wouldn't expect any job done entirely on computers to not naturally be a dollar or two more an hour than your average retail or fast food job.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
i don't think anyone's saying having a car wouldn't be a great benefit to Benny, just that he's in no condition to get one, especially one he has to finance, and we're all amazed that it apparently took some deep consideration for him to realize what to most people should be plain common sense.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Benny has a very clear pattern of lying specifically to downplay any accountability on his part, he doesn't just make things up at random. I've said this before, his lying is *very much* in line with an abuse victim's approach to the world.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
It's just speculation, not direct accusation. Hell, we do have some concrete proof that this family is likely not terribly functional, and that's that they produced Benny himself: a sheltered, insecure weasel whose yearning for a caring mother figure is so great it's turned into a full-on fetish for him. You tell me what this guy's upbringing must have been like.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
'Abuse' is probably too strong a word for Benny's family - if only because most abuse victims usually realize how hosed up their situation is and try to run away by the time they're Benny's age - but you can still have a lovely upbringing even if it doesn't fall over the line of flat-out 'abuse'.

Just for fun, I'm going to play a little armchair psychologist here - Benny, let me know if I'm anywhere close or if I'm way off. I'm just taking a guess (and pulling some things out of my rear end for kicks), so I hope you don't take any of this personally:

Mom was a very emotional person, either because at core she was scared of the world or because she was unhappy with her life or both. I don't recall ever hearing about a Dad being around, but if he was, life in the "Snake" household was often punctuated with many intense fights and arguments. There were happy times, but even then there was always a weird tension because you never really knew when a fight might break out, and it didn't seem to matter if it was at home or in public or even in front of your friends (if you were allowed to have friends over). It might have lead to a divorce.

Life with just Mom was a little better, if only because there were less people around to set her off, but you would still have to walk on your tip-toes around her because you never could tell when something might frighten her or offend her sensibilities, and she'd take it out on you guys by screaming at your or smacking you, even if you had little to do with it or if what you did was just an accident. She'd demand an apology or an oath not to do whatever got you in trouble again, but when you did she would continue screaming at you regardless, just as if you had refused and told her to shut up - it's like you could never win.

On the other hand, she was often quite pleasant and it was obvious she loved you guys - she even kind of spoiled you a bit. You had little in the way of chores and she'd constantly be working in the house, cooking and cleaning and taking care of the house, even if she had a job. She'd get you all the little things you wanted, like comic books and such, even moreso if she had a job and she wasn't really around all day. If you offered to help her she would rebuke you - you wouldn't know what you were doing and she didn't have the time (read: patience) to teach you, anyway. And when you DID try to help her without asking, she wound up getting mad because you didn't do it right or you wound up messing something up. Mom was pretty good to you guys so long as you did OK in school, stayed out of her way because don't you see she's busy and working hard for you guys, and didn't get into trouble (especially trouble at school or around other people that would make her look bad).

...But you never could tell what would get you in trouble, could you? SOMETHING would always happen, sometimes things that you knew most folks didn't even think were a big deal, like two lesbians kissing on TV, or things that weren't even your fault, like two lesbians kissing on TV, and it would always result in screaming, smacking, or threatening to take away the things she'd gotten you. She had a martyr complex: even if she didn't say it outright, the implication was for all the things I do for you, I pamper you and take care of you, the least you can do is just not upset me and make life harder for me, you are my burden to bear. She wanted you to feel sorry for her. In your household guilt and love were the same thing. She's not in any particular hurry for you to get out of the house, because without you there's less people for her to sacrifice herself and be a martyr for and have people feel guilty for her.

And you DID feel sorry for her, at least for a while, and while she did do a lot for you, you didn't truly respect her, because it's difficult to respect something you pitied. And what's more, she never felt sorry for YOU, she never gave YOU the benefit of the doubt, these things she did weren't because she felt sorry for you, it was so YOU could feel sorry for HER, and you felt there was a very important type of affection you were missing from her.

You learned early on that the only way to stave off punishment was utter compliance, and you also learned you could only truly be compliant by (a) not doing things until she asks or tells you to, and (b) suppressing any kind of "trouble" that would come up. You learned to keep things from her. You learned to bend the truth to mitigate your culpability in anything. If something wrong happened, you would only bring it up to her (if you had to at all) after you tried to fix it. You learned not to go out of your way to do much of anything because it was probably just going to lead to more trouble. You did this so you could keep things in that very neutral space where there was no trouble and nothing new and scary was happening - the only space of peace.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
^^^ Just getting my Hannibal Lecter on.

Have the lambs stopped screaming, Benny?

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

docbeard posted:

Um, yeah. There's a line between insightful support and creepy voyeurism and it's, um, way back there holy poo poo lizardman blew past that line like it wasn't even there.

Can we please get back to halfhearted congratulations, bad advice, and jokes about hangovers and carts? Please?

Aww, if you guys were legit creeped out I apologize, I really was just trying to have fun. Also I was mostly just describing a typical dysfunctional Catholic family Including, uh, my own

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Carpal tunnel syndrome is a legit concern with a data entry job, you guys. You're just sitting there typing for the entire shift. That said, Benny you should be fine. One thing that helps is to keep the keyboard flat.

Though this doesn't sound like a typical data entry job from the way you describe it. Benny, why are you so concerned with sales? That's for them to worry about, not you. You're just the guy that types and submits it to the web. And even if they are putting sales pressure on you, while you should do your best, you also shouldn't stress too hard about it, they're not paying you enough to be any kind of salesman.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Just to add one more "getting wisdom teeth pulled" anecdote, I got not only all 4 wisdom teeth removed but also four other teeth at the same time to make room for braces, and while I was swollen and had gauze in my mouth for a bit, it really isn't as unpleasant as you might think.

I had absolutely zero insurance, so the procedure cost about a thousand dollars.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Er... Benny, you don't need any money to self-publish. You can do that absolutely free (or very close to it).

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
We should create a Kickstarter to fund a reality show starring Benny. I know we've joked about this in the past but I really do think it could make for compelling television. I'm sure if you make a good enough demo that TLC or Bravo or one of those cable channels will bite.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

nerve posted:

lmao this is the post he replies to

christ's sake Benny

More than that, he asks as if he will rule the whole idea out completely if he doesn't get an answer he likes. As if he were in any position to be "too good" to work for any particular company.

Anyways, Benny, selling books from the library is fine. Have you done anything else? Selling books from the library shouldn't take up much time. What else have you been doing?

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Cyberball 2072 posted:

loving amazing, Benny I have a death of superman and a ton of image #1s I'll sell to you for $100. I'm sure you could flip them for $1000's. If there's one thing that's worth all kinda of money it's post silver age comics.

I don't think that post was real.

I don't think...

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I dunno about goldmining. I mean, I would love it if I came back here five years from now and Benny was still unemployed and in his living situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Benny the Snake posted:

So apparently everyone in E/N wants to close my thread and put it in the Goldmine. I guess I don't care anymore. Nobody was being very helpful or answering any of my questions, I should of closed it months ago.

You're making these up, right? If not, where are you getting these?

• Locked thread