Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Odrade
May 1, 2009
As conservative Christians of one kind or other your parents probably find it pretty upsetting having stuff that they genuinely consider to be spiritually polluting in their house. Yes, none of us agree with them on this particular issue but I can imagine media that I would definitely not want any theoretical adult sons watching or reading on my dime as well. Turning a blind eye seems cool of them, they obviously love you but you're both taking the piss. Their rules seem ridiculous to me but if you can't live without openly flouting them you shouldn't be living there.

The other issue is that you say your Mum was getting violent. How? Because that might well be another reason why you shouldn't be living there.

You should both be looking to either move out or to contribute meaningfully to the rent/bills. Speak to your brother about it and see if you haven't got enough free hours between you to work towards getting a place. You may need to cut down the blogging and he will probably need to watch his erotic cop stories less. It will most likely be a huge relief to your parents.

(Did anyone else feel really sorry for the Dad in this story? He's working as hard as he can, probably a deacon or something in the church, people look up to him and stuff. Then he gets home and instead of the nice quiet family life he wants he gets adult men throwing strops about TV and a wife who's crying into the ironing and trying to break stuff. Poor Benny the Snake Snr.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odrade
May 1, 2009

Shonagon posted:

I'm sorrier for the mother, who is working a full job, carrying the main burden of supporting the family and studying in the evenings, in the desperate hope that at least one of her adult sons will take the hint that they're meant to be doing this, prepatory to GROWING UP AND MOVING OUT.

Actually good point. Benny the Snake, why is it that your Mum can study and work at the same time and you and your brother can't? I hope to God that one day you come home one day to find no food in the house and no chores done and she's camped out on your bed eating chocolates and watching Joyce Meyer.

Odrade
May 1, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

Well he already finished college, and jobs are tight. He's in an especially lovely situation because all the minimum wage jobs you'd recommend he can just "get whenever he wants, just walk down the McDonalds!" (which is bullshit by the way, jobs are loving hard to get in this economic climate period) likely wouldn't hire him because he's too overqualified. College degree people taking jobs out of desperation will walk the second they get a better offer and managers know that.

Yeah apart from I didn't say that at all. I said why can't he work. Because he's made it quite clear that he considers that his and his brother's time commitments make it so they are "unable" to contribute. If he's actively looking for paid work then I think it's a different story but the impression that he's giving is that him and his brother just plain cannot work because they have other poo poo to do. The same is true for their mother though, hence the question.

• Locked thread