Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011
Is it really that common to submit a resume when applying for a retail job? I guess I haven't applied in that sector for many years, but I recall never needing more than an application.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

No Longer Flaky posted:

That's bullshit and a stupid way to look at it. They don't give a poo poo how smart you are at all. They just want people that will work hard.

Pretending that getting a 4.0 excludes you from a retail job is stupid as gently caress. A 4.0 shows you're willing to work hard which is exactly what someone in a retail environment wants from their workers.

It's not that a 4.0 teenager is too smart or overqualified to run a cash register. It's that 4.0 students think that everything is a scholarship application and list their 500 activites and sports on the job application. That basically lets the hiring manager know that in addition to having to adhere to child labor laws this applicant will regularly be requesting tons of days off, not just for one season but the entire year. During my glorious days as a fast food manager, I had several kids that I didn't actually fire, but eventually just told them not to bother coming in to check if they're on the schedule anymore because they literally had no room in their schedules for a job.

Retail and food service are about having the right availability and not being a weird gently caress. Hell, even if you were a little weird we'd take you on as long as you could work a lot of shifts and were reliable.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

crabrock posted:

This is why it baffles me that it's been over a year and he can't get a job at loving McDonalds, the cliche of "easiest place to get a job at."

It shouldn't be that hard, you're right. But we are dealing with someone that has been telling prospective employers that he does not have reliable transportation to work. I've always looked at that question on job applications and thought, "who would actually check that box?" Yesterday I finally received an answer to that question, and its Benny.

Based on this, I really think Benny needs a back to basics approach to his job search. He's spent all this time creating 20+ versions of his resume and cover letter while inserting cheeky questions, ("Well what traits does your ideal candidate have?" :smuggo: ) all while he's been failing at basic filter questions on the application.

Benny, from now on you have reliable transport to work. You've never been convicted of any crimes. You've never been terminated from a job. You are willing to take a drug test. Above all, you need to indicate that your schedule is wide open and that you want to start as soon as possible.

If you get an interview, again, emphasize the flexible schedule and eagerness to start. Ask about what an average shift would look like, how long the training period is ect, sick to normal questions. By no means necessary should you be pulling out a question or comment that you got off of a 20 Ways Canidates Have Impressed an HR Manager article on Monster.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

Benny the Snake posted:

Right now, I have to wait for HR to call me to get my fingerprints. The library director gave me his card and told me to call him if I don't hear from them in a week. Here's hoping that my next interview goes as well as this one.

Oh Benny, no one believes this.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

vxskud posted:

I too am confused about Benny's post, did he get the job or did he just get to a second round of interviews?

There's no job, its volunteering at the library. But most likely there's not even a volunteer gig. Volunteers don't have multi-round interviews and don't have to meet with HR for finger printing. (If you work around elders or children you'll probably need to get a TB test before your first day, but that's hardly what Benny is claiming...) Volunteers go to an evening orientation that is held ever few weeks, decaf and lemon bars are served.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

buteruc posted:

Benny, you need to take things one day at a time. Just relax and go to work, do the Amazon thing, and go home. Do this for a couple of weeks and then you can start thinking about the future. Don't treat the job as one that you're going to drop as soon as you can; instead, get comfortable, establish a routine with the volunteering, and try to keep things chill at home.

Exactly this. Don't get ahead of yourself, Benny. Focus on establishing a routine and keeping this job. That said, be on high alert for scammy poo poo at your job like being asked to purchase the lists of products your supposed to sell or having to recruit others in order to advance.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

docbeard posted:

Yeah, I don't think even Benny can be held responsible for the slowness of the Medicaid bureaucracy in processing his family's application. (Assuming we can take him at his word and that they really did apply a while back, as is my understanding. Which I'll grant you is one hell of an assumption.)

When I applied (in my state) it took about two months for my application to be processed and approved, but I heard from them within a few days of applying about how long it would take.

Once approved I received a booklet outlining my health care benefits and given a date ( 1.5 months away) as to when my coverage would be active. When my card didn't arrive by that date, it took 2 phone calls totalling less than 30 minutes to confirm that I had coverage, get a new card issued, and get my member ID number in case I needed coverage before my card arrived.

Yes it took nearly four months, however I was promptly and accurately informed about how long the wait would be at every step.

Benny doesn't seem to have that time table or access to information about his health care coverage. So its either that California is just wildly less efficient than my state. Benny's mom is lying about applying or when she applied. Our Benny is lying about applying or when he applied. Hmmmmm.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011
Does anyone know if Medicaid works the same way as private health insurance, as in an adult child can stay on their parent's plan until 26? It seems strange that someone who is at least 22 wouldn't be required to sign up individually.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

That drat Satyr posted:

You could literally make more money per week selling blood plasma or something. I would have said sperm, but for christ sake please don't breed ever Benny.
Benny would somehow find a way to screw that up, probably by lying about something pointless during the pre donation exam.

Seconding that a library volunteer flipping books for his own profit is pretty disgraceful. It would reflect poorly not just on you, but possibly on the library as well if someone found out you were doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011
I've never really understood why Benny can't spend an hour each day taking surveys on Mechanical Turk. Its no way to make a living, but in the past I've made about $100 a month with really minimal effort of an hour or two a day between classes or after work while watching TV.

• Locked thread