Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MEMRI
Jun 18, 2012

I'd avoid "to whom it may concern"; it sounds impersonal and strange. Maybe try "Dear Sir or Madam" or Dear "Hiring Manager".

MEMRI fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Aug 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MEMRI
Jun 18, 2012

Whoah yeah I should have read the rest of the cover letter before I posted any criticism about the salutation. Before you touch anything else, you need to work on that last paragraph pretty severely.

MEMRI
Jun 18, 2012

Queen Elizatits posted:

Hey Benny! First off I want to thank you for reading and replying. Most people would have given up on this thread and I think it's awesome you keep updating. I think though you may have missed another point I was making which is totally understandable I tend to type a lot of words.

Again this is coming from someone who did hiring for Sears and I assume the same applies to most companies. The internet search I would do was very brief, certainly nothing like what SASS does. So while it's cool that the stuff that comes up from your aim name is not connected to your real name my second point is when an interviewer googles your
Name
Phone number
email address
Nothing should come up. I mean maybe a linkedin profile and the white pages, things like that. Not a SASS thread, not a fetish site, not someone else's name.

If we had 100 people interview for one job sure you can eliminate some applicants easily but when it comes down to 25 people who are all basically very similar we had to use some pretty insignificant stuff to narrow it down. I've seen people be passed over because their email address was theirname69@gmail.com

That was a lot of words to make the point that I hope the email address you use on your resume/applications is your name only or your name and birthday, something along those lines. And you should only use that address for work related stuff.

I am very excited to pursue this opportunity and would be eager to set up a time to discuss further how I would be an excellent candidate for this position. Please do not hesitate to contact me at (555)-123-4567 or at 420weedlord@gmail.com. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,

MEMRI
Jun 18, 2012

I'm good for $10.

MEMRI
Jun 18, 2012

Somebody please make actual Benny comics.

MEMRI
Jun 18, 2012

Keep that job. I'm rooting for you, bud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MEMRI
Jun 18, 2012

lol Benny definitely doesn't have a degree

• Locked thread