Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quixotic
Sep 2, 2004

Benny the Snake posted:

Well right now I'm dropping my comics hobby in favor for paying my parents more on groceries.
Which is why I said in the op it's more sentimental value. I love reading comics and I really enjoy the medium. Now don't get me wrong, I am willing to part with it. Just now I think that it'd serve me better to store them in a locker or something.

I'm going to talk to my parents about it and assure them I'm looking for work and that I'm going to move my comics, etc. away from the place if I can' negoitate anything else. Fair's fair.

Thanks goons. I appreciate the swift rear end kicking I'm getting from each and every one of you. I came here for the reality check and the helpful advice and you guys delivered. Thanks a bunch.
You should probably balance the praise your family is getting for supporting you against the fact that your mother at least is a violent, controlling homophobe and set all your sights and plans on getting out, out, out. I don't support the stigma that adult children shouldn't live with their parents (lots of cultures do this, and it's perfectly acceptable, even when you get married/have your own kids), but the environment you're being given is toxic, even while they are financially supporting you and your brother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quixotic
Sep 2, 2004

bunnybean posted:

I don't understand why the OP's mother should have to compromise about anything, ever. Her house, her rules.
Because she's making bad choices and is being a bad person? Home ownership doesn't make you infallible or unquestionable. Owning a house and even letting someone stay there doesn't mean you are the sole moral arbiter, and making sacrifices for someone doesn't mean that you get a free pass for violent, controlling, homophobic behavior towards them.

Quixotic
Sep 2, 2004

ClemenSalad posted:

I expect them to be sensitive to their mother's wishes on what they watch on her TV in her house, regardless of what it is or why. They not only don't contribute, his brother is actively making life harder for them. How do you not understand this?
Being the owner of the house doesn't mean that you're allowed to be a bigoted poo poo. The expectations for what makes a good person remain exactly the same. Morality and decency is not defined by property ownership.

Quixotic
Sep 2, 2004

Agro ver Haus doom posted:

You're allowed to be a bigoted poo poo in your own home. I know, cruel world out there. Who would have thought that in 2013 a person who owns a home can legally say "friend of the family" in their own home as many times as they want. Geez... What's the world coming to?
Who said it was against the law? It means it's wrong. Immoral. The act of a bad person. Something that someone should be criticized for, something that disqualifies their opinions on many things, something that casts their judgement into severe question, and generally makes them wrong. But not illegal.

Quixotic
Sep 2, 2004

Agro ver Haus doom posted:

Sure it's not illegal, but you're allowed to do it. Your original argument is that it is not allowed to say whatever you want in your home (in this case, a bigoted phrase). Clearly, reality trumps your assertion that people aren't allowed to say things in their own homes. But by all means, keep telling people what they're allowed to say in the very homes they own. Show them who's boss.
Ah, I see the point of contention here. You interpret "not allowed" to mean "compelled by force" whereas my intended meaning, which would seem abundantly clear from my phrasing and re-phrasing, is "socially or morally unacceptable". It's more unacceptable, in fact, than being unemployed and living with family. I can only imagine what compelled you to believe I was claiming any overwhelming power over people being bigoted in their homes, but honestly it doesn't reflect very well on your powers of inference.

Quixotic
Sep 2, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

Is there only one McDonald's within the 15mi commute radius? What about other fast food places?
Why do you people think that fast food is some sort of endless producer of easily obtainable jobs? Do you think we could solve the nation's unemployment problem if we just built more Hardee's?

Quixotic
Sep 2, 2004

ClemenSalad posted:

Because of their turnover they are almost always hiring and they are right at the OPs current skill/experience level.
Turnover goes down when unemployment goes up, because people are less likely to leave their low-wage jobs and there are more people competing for that job. The fast food advice might work in economically sound times, but it sounds hopelessly dated today. Even then, recommending that someone seek a high-turnover job is, at best, deferring the employment problem rather than resolving it.

Quixotic
Sep 2, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

It worked for FDR.
I'll remember that next time I drive on a highway paved with Hardee's past the dam built out of leaking Hardees on my way to a national park brought to you by Hardeestm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quixotic
Sep 2, 2004

ClemenSalad posted:

Who built the highways and the dams?
The Works Progress Administration, also known as the federal government. It definitely wasn't private enterprise, because the primary function of private enterprise is to produce profit for its shareholders, and a high unemployment rate is actually in their best interests.

• Locked thread