Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Doing something that takes work and a desire to improve is good for overall motivation. Benny isn't getting lavished with praise; he is getting constructive criticism and an honest acknowledgment that he is improving. If you are unemployed and sitting around doing nothing, it's harder to get motivated. If he is writing and trying to do other hobbies that take some work, he's more likely to get motivation to apply for jobs and do other things he should be doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Yeah the biggest sign of Benny being dumb is that he still posts in this thread only to be told he's wrong no matter what he does. He should just abandon it and let it die; there's no way it helps his life.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

BKPR posted:

Is anyone reading anyone else's lists

I'm not

Are we allowed to emptyquote in GBS 1.4?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I, see, but it's a sub-forum of GBS? I just re-read the rules thoroughly and I'm not allowed to fakepost in here either?!

Sorry guys, I lied (fakeposted), I'm actually married (but still a virgin).

edit: Wrong virgin thread!

angel opportunity fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 28, 2014

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I feel pretty confident that Benny put very little work into his piece this week. Even though it was anonymous, I was able to predict it was likely his due to how half-assed it was and due to his lovely attitude in general.

Something like this is just lazy crap that you should be able to fix with even one proofread:

quote:

What we ended up doing was putting the gold into sacks and put a pair in a mine cart under ore. Once we dumped the ore, we'd sneak the sacks deep into the forest and hide them under a layer of sod. After a few days, we finally managed to move all the gold out of the mine.

This was fun too:

quote:

“How much have you saved up?” I asked and continued to pick ore from the walls.

quote:

“Don't joke about that,” I stopped picking and told him. “You know what you'd be doing if you joined them, right?”

quote:

“Get back to work,” a foreman told us in a thick accent. Me and Joaquin resumed picking for ore.

Also:

quote:

“You backstabbing gently caress,” I spat at him.

quote:

I knew at that point that I wouldn't die in the middle of a forest at the hands of a greedy gently caress over a mountain of gold.

quote:

“You loving greedy gently caress!” I screamed and smashed his head in the ground.

I was somewhat defending him in this thread before, but I'm pretty sick of him now. I work forty hours per week and still find time to proofread and polish Thunderdome entries five or six times before I submit them while also doing larger writing projects that aren't part of internet contests. Benny has nothing to do all day and can't even take the time to proofread his poo poo. Writing comes naturally to him, he just never said he's any good at it!

We also posted that he was supposed to claim his story, which he didn't do because he lost, I guess. We had to find the person in IRC who helped him proofread it in order to confirm that it was actually his story. I think he was probably trying to pretend it wasn't his.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I think Thunderdome is a good demonstration of Benny's "work output." We can hear his stories about how well he does at a cart pushing job, but we have to trust what he says. With his writing and Thunderdome, we hear him say he wants to be a writer, then we see his writing for what it is.

It has convinced me that he is lazy and doesn't give a poo poo about his life.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Let me clear up the proofread lie thing:

Illegal Carrot saw an earlier draft, but I can't tell from what he actually said whether or not he did a proofread of it.

Here is a cut-down IRC log with the relevant parts:

http://pastebin.com/9TbXLfuj (this conversation happened after the judges decided Bird of Fortune had lost, and Benny was supposed to claim it as his at this point, but he never did. This is why we are asking Carrot to tell us.)

I don't think this is an ironclad lie we can catch him in unless Illegal Carrot confirms that he did proofread it rather than just "asked me for a critique".

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Obviously he didn't get it

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

He is a writer, after all

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3598931&pagenumber=46#post426962330

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Benny, did you sign up for healthcare?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

You realize you can go look at sex offender registries yourself and go through it online based on certain locations. If you are really curious you can search through and see if Benny is a sex offender or not.

Benny, how is your health insurance situation going?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

It's safe to say he did not get health insurance

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

close the thread!

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

In Mandarin it's "Su Zui"...there is no "-k" final in Mandarin.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

He stopped reading the thread so he missed the song... someone relink it for him

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Tear into the walls and test for asbestos as well as lead paint. Sometimes they will have lead paint under several other layers of paint; it could be making you sick.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Don't worry Benny, Thunderbowl shouldn't be too much of a priority for you now. Focus on the job and the more real-life type stuff, then once you have that more on lockdown you can come back to the 'bowl and try to win off your losertar.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

that loving snake bitch! benny don't beat yourself up it wasn't your fault

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Eris posted:
Quiet from Benny makes me nervous. What's going on over there Benny? You ok?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Benny, you should just get on disability and live off disability checks. You're probably never going to hold a job, and it's best to just give up now.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Tell them you have a 150-page internet thread where you just lie to everyone for a year. Lying and sales are pretty similar; you're not good at lying but you definitely have experience.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

crabrock posted:

ugh stop giving benny advice. he's going to ignore it or gently caress it up anyway.

he should really think about disability, because he is just unemployable. he's lazy, slow, and does stupid poo poo and things stupid things because he has diagnosed psychosis.

agreed. he may actually be "retarded" under some spectrum of that word. he has an "invisible disability" that is actually way more visible than most invisible disabilities on SA that "prevent people from working." I've met plenty of people who are just lazy and don't want to work who use fake mental issues as excuses to not work, but following this thread and interacting with Benny in Thunderdome has convinced me that he actually would be better off to just live off disability for the rest of his life. If he can hold volunteer jobs and write for fun or something, that is cool, but he's never really going to contribute to the economy.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I dunno I was watching some movie on HBO once where there was a fat guy in boot camp who wasn't very good at anything, but he eventually became a good shot and starting making progress, I had to leave before the movie ended so I'm not sure what happened, but it seemed like it was showing that with proper training even fuckups can become successful professional killers

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

If I were the dictator of a 10,000 person society, and part of my duties were to assign work to everyone, I would put Benny on disability. Using this thread as evidence, I would assume that any job I assigned him would just create problems and slow down the efficiency of those working around him, and when they had to recommend I fire him, it would waste my time. Basically I would assume that everyone just subsidizing his existence would create a smaller hit to the economy than trying to find something worthwhile for him to do.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

RTI takes like a month of back and forth effort/progress

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

he definitely doesn't have a degree lol

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Everyone please vote this thread a 1 so it gets gassed.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3531379&pagenumber=144&perpage=40#post430203390

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Sotar posted:

I think that person would have to be completely homeless to be less successful than Benny.

No, I know people on SA who just refuse to get a job and use "depression" as an excuse to put in no effort at all. It's easy to pile onto Benny, but at least he's always trying/lying/making excuses about getting jobs...beats a lot of people who have already given up.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I'm really afraid of the dentist, but I just got back from it and they caught a small cavity that took like five minutes to fill. This thread made me realize I was pulling a Benny so I went and took care of it :D

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

This thread is pointless as a tool to help Benny because he just lies about everything anyway.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

quote:

Oh, it's definitely not a good or productive idea. He's focusing on it because it will let him pretend he's working on a goal without actually doing anything.

Benny is so loving stupid, close thread/vote it 1.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Benny, since you don't have a degree (probably not even a high school degree) and since you are retarded, you probably should get your mom to sign you up for disability so you can keep enjoying your comics without having to worry about all this grown-up stuff that you aren't equipped to handle

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I did Lionbridge all throughout college. It made me like $500-$700/month in extra money for a few hours a day. They used to let you just kind of do poo poo and as long as you did it okay you kept going. My wife is doing it now and they constantly make her do unpaid training, and if her quality rating slips down she has to do like several-hour training sessions that don't pay her. I honestly don't think Benny could handle it; his quality rating would go down and he'd probably just quit when they made him take one of those courses. He wouldn't be able to hit the ten hours per week minimum either.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Arian_Samurai posted:

Is there no place in this world for a lazy idiot who collects comic books?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=144

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

• Locked thread