Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shonagon
Mar 27, 2005

It is impervious to reason or pleading, it knows no mercy or patience.

quote:

we've maintained a sort of unspoken truce. As long as we keep it to ourselves and away from the family, they tolerate it. I can't watch an R-rated movie on the TV in the living room, but I can watch it on my laptop away from everyone else.

quote:

On this night, my brother, who I will call Danny, was watching some TV show. I think it was Chicago Fire. Well, one particular scene included two women kissing eachother. My mom was doing work on the family computer next to her and saw the scene. Since homosexuality is, according to my parents, a sin, she demanded my brother to turn it off. Danny refused and things escalated. He insults her...

So, basically, Danny broke the truce by putting on what they consider unacceptable material right in front of them, and then threw a fit at your mother when she objected.

quote:

My brother alone owes Mom about a thousand dollars in credit card bills.

Your brother is a little poo poo. gently caress you, Danny. Your dad's unemployed, your mum's working all the hours and studying, and Danny is sitting on his fat arse running up bills he can't pay and whining when his mother wants him to respect what are obviously clear house rules.

Tell Danny to apologise to your mother. She has lovely views, but she's entitled to say what's shown on the TV she pays for in her own sitting room. Frankly, I'd want to believe in an afterlife too if my life on earth was working my arse off to pay for a pair of grown men to buy comics and whine about television.

Obviously, it's not a comfortable living situation for you, but while you are living on your parents' house without making any contribution, you need to respect their rules, and if you can't respect their rules, you need to get a bit more active about moving out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shonagon
Mar 27, 2005

Odrade posted:

Did anyone else feel really sorry for the Dad in this story? He's working as hard as he can, probably a deacon or something in the church, people look up to him and stuff. Then he gets home and instead of the nice quiet family life he wants he gets adult men throwing strops about TV and a wife who's crying into the ironing and trying to break stuff. Poor Benny the Snake Snr.

I'm sorrier for the mother, who is working a full job, carrying the main burden of supporting the family and studying in the evenings, in the desperate hope that at least one of her adult sons will take the hint that they're meant to be doing this, prepatory to GROWING UP AND MOVING OUT. It doesn't make screaming and yelling when they're thoughtless and disrespectful OK, but it certainly makes it understandable.

I bet they lie in bed at night, in silence. Eventually one of them will say, simply, '...I just thought they'd have gone by now.' And the other will reply, 'They'll never go.'

Shonagon
Mar 27, 2005

You're right. The economy sucks, internships suck, it's extremely hard to find even a minimum wage job. Granted.

However, the fact that it sucks for him doesn't make it suck less for his parents. Yes, you're right, the mother shouldn't freak out and scream. I note that there's no suggestion in the OP that the family is abusive or prone to regular violence, and he says that Danny refused to turn off the TV and insulted his mother, so I read it much more as Mum reaching the end of her rope than a pattern of abuse. People do reach the end of their rope when they are working full time, studying, probably 45-50 years old, and supporting two adult children that, before the economy went to poo poo, they had expected to be independent by now. Particularly when both of those children apparently expect their parents to pay their credit card debts. You've got a lot on the kids rights, but imagine the stress the parents are under, with one poorly paid full-time job supporting four adults and a mortgage.

What this family actually needs is a sit-down where they say, "OK, we are now a four-adult family, we don't agree on everything, so this is how we'll get along until the sons are in a position to leave. Danny won't watch controversial programmes in the sitting room, Mum won't come into the kids' room/s if the door's shut. Both sons will do all the housework in lieu of rent until they are in a position to contribute financially. We will respect the parents' religious views by the magic of not discussing them and keeping our media confined to our rooms, where we will carry on as we please with the door shut."

This is all on the assumption that the mother's freakout is not standard behaviour, but that's the suggestion in the OP.

Shonagon
Mar 27, 2005

Saeku posted:

My previous warehouse job was very mentally challenging. Because of some lazy idiot supervisors' fuckups, the warehouse was full of literally millions of bees. Think carpeted with bees. Bee pillars. You haven't known a rough day on the job until you've pulled a flailing dead bee out of your ear canal.

I really need to know what sort of lazy fuckup results in a warehouse full of dead bees. What was it, a bee storage unit? A bee taxidermy parlour? A honey shop? What is going on here?

Edit: VVV gently caress VVV

Shonagon fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 13, 2013

• Locked thread